PDA

View Full Version : VFR to LKPR: any tips?

acuba 290
14th Jan 2007, 03:19
would like to ask, who has been flying VFR to Prag-Ruzyne (LKPR). How was the experience and what is nice to know before flight to Prag?

S-Works
14th Jan 2007, 08:23
We did it as a group this year. It is very easy and accomodating if you are competant on the radio on are capable of accurate navigation. The VFR joins are by VRP's from North, South, East and West. It is a very busy international airport. You must have your aircraft docs ready for inspection as they will give them a real going over.

Another good route in as well is to fly into Korlovy Vary and then from there into Letnany which is actually close to Prauge that than the main airport it also has a fascinating military airport next door with an amazing museum stuffed with Mig's and other cold war hardware! We visited most of the airfields around there. The Letnany guys are a gliding club and they were fantastic and with Avgas half the price of the main airport worth the visit!

IO540
14th Jan 2007, 08:59
I've been there a few times IFR but they do accept VFR traffic; they have a separate GA terminal (called the "old terminal") which is very nice, very friendly and quite empty. Landing+parking around £40 for a couple of days.

Going to Prague VFR from the UK is not that easy because there is some terrain in the way and it's not easy to be sure that the cloudbase will be well above it for the whole distance. Funnily enough whenever I went there under IFR it would have been flyable VFR but when (some time earlier) I planned to go there VFR (below the cloud) I had to scrap it every time due to cloudbases...

modelman
14th Jan 2007, 20:14
Check out Almat site:www.almat.co.uk
for an interesting account of a member's trip there
MM

IO540
14th Jan 2007, 20:38
The danger in splitting up a trip (esp. a VFR trip) into three parts, with overnight stays, is that the weather is unlikely to hold up.

If I was going to Prague VFR I'd do it in one day. Most spamcans can do it in two legs.

A TB20 can do Prague and back, from say Southampton, without landing (just!).

What this means is that you can get TAFs and METARs all the way along the route, and that is the most reliable weather you will ever get.

edymonster
14th Jan 2007, 22:14
I went there this year and was very easy VFR. They are very friendly and helpful. When you are coming in they keep you below 1000 feet if i remeber correctly but they vector you to finals. On the ground they parked us on the disused runway and gave us a follow me car, which is cool. Think it cost us 100 euros for 3 nights parking and landing for a 172.

acuba 290
14th Jan 2007, 22:39
Check out Almat site:www.almat.co.uk (http://www.almat.co.uk)
for an interesting account of a member's trip there
MM

thanx a lot for nice link;)

acuba 290
14th Jan 2007, 22:51
has anybody idea if it possible to get VFR Approach charts for LKPR somethere online, because official AIP wants money for it...:cool:;)

IO540
15th Jan 2007, 07:49
The place for most European AIPs is Eurocontrol (http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int)

It's a free registration/login.

You need a broadband connection; it downloads a mass of Java to your PC.

The section you want is called Pams Light and from there it's obvious where the stuff is.

If it's not in the AIP, you could fax the airport (and the alternate) for VFR instructions. Or buy the Jepp Bottlang VFR guide.

acuba 290
15th Jan 2007, 10:16
The place for most European AIPs is Eurocontrol (http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int)

It's a free registration/login.

You need a broadband connection; it downloads a mass of Java to your PC.

The section you want is called Pams Light and from there it's obvious where the stuff is.

If it's not in the AIP, you could fax the airport (and the alternate) for VFR instructions. Or buy the Jepp Bottlang VFR guide.

thanx a lot! a got all i need there!;)