PDA

View Full Version : Cranfield Overhead

TotalBeginner
12th Jan 2007, 10:11
I'm hoping to fly a route that will take me straight through the Cranfield overhead (VFR 2500-3000ft). Is this likely to cause any problems? I know that they have intensive instrument training going on, but provided I talk to cranfield APP are they likely to be accomodating. I realise that they only have an ATZ that I will be above, but don't want to step on any toes. :)

cjhants
12th Jan 2007, 10:43
TB,

as you have suggested, talk to them, and give your intentions. you dont have to take instructions from them if you are above the ATZ, but its good practice to take some advice from them if offered.

i often cross farnborough, and dont technically have to speak to them, but happy to take any suggested routing to avoid landing/departing jets.

lets hope for a bit of decent flying weather for the weekend. ::ok:

Cowboy-76
12th Jan 2007, 11:49
As a regular at Cranfield I regularly hear VFR traffic crossing the overhead. As you said you are not required to speak to them but as they often have IFR traffic in the hold up Flight Level 050 its well worth talking to them and I am sure that they will give you all the assistance you need.

TotalBeginner
12th Jan 2007, 12:53
Thanks guys! I'll call them up and let them know what I'm doing.

lets hope for a bit of decent flying weather for the weekend. :

Surely we deserve some nice weather soon!

tmmorris
12th Jan 2007, 12:57
They're always very accommodating. Watch out for the Luton airspace to the southeast and the Cardington danger area (though it's easy to spot - look for a hangar the size of a small planet!)

Tim

owenlars
12th Jan 2007, 14:49
Dont forget the instrument approach at Cranfield is not only outside CAS it is also procedural and hence aircraft in the hold and on the approach are not on radar (except we squawk so that Coventry can see us easily). At Farnborough they can at least see what is going on, at Cranfield they can't. I have seen aircraft barrelling through the approach whilst I have been on it, so always talk to Cranfield and they will let you know what is going on around the CIT hold.

Chilli Monster
12th Jan 2007, 16:44
(except we squawk so that Coventry can see us easily).

Coventry don't have SSR, so they can only see the primary return - NOT squawks.

Or did you mean Luton?

Bravo73
12th Jan 2007, 18:24
Coventry don't have SSR, so they can only see the primary return - NOT squawks.

Well, I never. Every day's a training day!

Sorry for thread drift...