PDA

View Full Version : Prescott seeks to end light aviation?

BEagle
7th Jan 2007, 10:14
This will take only a minute of your time.....

Some of you may recall that earlier this year there was alarm amongst aviators, over the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister's proposals to classify airfields as brownfield sites for the purposes of planning approval. If carried through, this would mean that any scheme to develop a GA airfield for housing or industrial purposes could be passed with very little regard to its amenity value. As a result of the earlier outcry by the GA community, the inclusion of airfields in the list was said to be a mistake, and it was promised that the clause would be withdrawn in the final version. You've guessed it, the final version has been released and its still there.

The reaction to the previous move was clearly effective, but everyone with an interest in aviation needs to act now. You can make your voice heard by electronically signing the following petition:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Airfields/

It's easy to do and will take no more than 2 minutes of your time. If you havent already, do it now and help to save UK airfields from this threat and from John Prescott!

stickandrudderman
7th Jan 2007, 11:32
Good link.
Done:*

camlobe
7th Jan 2007, 11:39
Ditto.

camlobe

chevvron
7th Jan 2007, 11:47
Well you know this governments aims:
If it moves - tax it
If it doesn't move - knock it down and build on it

'Chuffer' Dandridge
7th Jan 2007, 11:51
Does not surprise me. The useless chump of a DPM has got to do something with his time:yuk:

BEagle
7th Jan 2007, 11:56
"Gin and tonic please, steward!"

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/2jags.jpg

Giovanni Prescotti - that well known merchant mariner. Whose maritime experience consisted of serving drinks to the passengers......:hmm:

Lucy Lastic
7th Jan 2007, 11:57
Sorry - it isn't a Prescott thing any more. It's now the Dept of Coomunities and Local Government under Ruth 'Boy' Kelly.

Same civil servants though

oby
7th Jan 2007, 12:07
done.......the government (and thats all of them!) always wants to spoil our fun!

gcolyer
7th Jan 2007, 12:21
Done...twice becuase of typo in my own name!

Vot for me as prime minister...

1) No tax on GA
2) No tax on avgas, Jet A
3) No landing fees
4) Handling fees not mandatory
5) Less Class A
6) More lax planning permission to put an airstrip on your own strip
7) BBQ's must be availale at all airfields (weather permitting)

tangovictor
7th Jan 2007, 12:34
Come on all of you, sign up, it takes less than 1 min of your time

Grass strip basher
7th Jan 2007, 12:48
Done although I never got sent the e:mail to click on to confirm my details?? Anyone else had that problem??

IO540
7th Jan 2007, 12:53
Unfortunately, the email which that website sends out (to check that the email address you entered is really yours) is likely to get dumped by many peoples' antispam measures.

It's worth keeping a yahoo or hotmail mailbox just for this kind of purpose, and disable all antispam features on it.

Many people who use email have some kind of anti-spam feature at their ISP but they don't know anything about it, and lose loads of genuine emails as a result.

matelot
7th Jan 2007, 13:05
The DPM is only anti-GA because there isn't a SEP that could lift him...

gcolyer
7th Jan 2007, 13:16
The DPM is only anti-GA because there isn't a SEP that could lift him...

Oooh I think a PA32 300 will get him off the ground, but then the pilot would have to be about 5 years old for W&B purposes :)

tiggermoth
7th Jan 2007, 13:21
I've signed. Looks like there is over 3000 people on that list.

christimson
7th Jan 2007, 15:41
Mr Prescott ability to reason with the public . . .

http://www.funatico.com/play.php?clip_id=61

BRL
7th Jan 2007, 15:49
I will sticky this for a few days.

If it looks like it will go through, I might mention that he tried his very best to 'pull' my blonde, very sexy Norwegian friend who attended a Labour Party Conference in Brighton a while back......... :E :suspect:

tb10er
7th Jan 2007, 15:51
He's only looking for somewhere to park his two jags.
Plus, a quiet, empty hanger to help him live up to his name of "two sh$gs".
Uselss lump of lard if ever there was one

BEagle
7th Jan 2007, 16:00
You have friends who attend Noo Labia conferences, BRL???:eek:

Thanks for sticky-ing this - at 1658 UTC today there were 3189 signatures!

Lister Noble
7th Jan 2007, 16:04
All done,very quick and easy
Lister:)

scooter boy
7th Jan 2007, 17:15
Me too,
never trust a politician,

SB

Established Localiser
7th Jan 2007, 17:33
All Done
Prescott !!!!!:ugh:
EL

helicopter-redeye
7th Jan 2007, 17:33
Painless. Get the whole familiy to contribute - could triple + the responses.

I supose this is Prescott trying to stamp out priviledge & elitism amongst the middle classes, like big mansions, secretaries, free jags & stuff .... :hmm:

h-r;)

kevmusic
7th Jan 2007, 17:52
Done. Cheers, Beags.

".....I want to make clear that the things that I do are what I would do that that thing is what the people of this country are expect at the end of the day it is a very important matter and these airfields are there for the benefit of hindsight, as I have said all along."

Didn't he say that? Oh well, he probably will! :p

Kev.

Lower the Nose!
7th Jan 2007, 19:02
Petitions are a notoriously ineffective means of putting across a case to the government. An online version all the more so: it will be easy to ignore, not least because plainly very little effort is involved on the part of those signing their names.

What does occasionally work is enlisting the support of MPs who can take up your case with the appropriate government department. A brief, personally drafted letter (ie not a mass production round robin) is more likely to have the desired effect.

It is alleged in this case that the government had indicated that the inclusion of airfields from the draft wording of the bill was an oversight which would be corrected. If anyone can produce evidence that an undertaking was given it would make it that much harder for the government to wriggle out of this one. Anybody?

Lucy Lastic
7th Jan 2007, 19:40
Petitions are a notoriously ineffective means of putting across a case to the government. An online version all the more so: it will be easy to ignore, not least because plainly very little effort is involved on the part of those signing their names.

Very true. As well as signing up to the petition, write to your MP explaining the way the powers-that-be have ratted on their implicit promise

It is alleged in this case that the government had indicated that the inclusion of airfields from the draft wording of the bill was an oversight which would be corrected. If anyone can produce evidence that an undertaking was given it would make it that much harder for the government to wriggle out of this one. Anybody?

I had a letter from my MP about last year's effort and she enclosed a response from ODPM where it said that it was a drafting error and 'they would be considering reinstating the guidance (which they didn't). But, as you suggest, there was no undertaking - just an acknowledgement that the omission was an 'error'.

I replied at the time that this was no reassurance and have written back to her again asking her to get an explanation for the misleading reply she was given.

BEagle
7th Jan 2007, 20:33
Please do - I'm relaying it for someone else!

172driver
7th Jan 2007, 20:53
Done. Good one BEagle :ok:

Dave Gittins
8th Jan 2007, 12:12
Done ... and am no 3542. :ok:

VFR Transit
8th Jan 2007, 12:21
all done - 3548

BEagle
8th Jan 2007, 15:52
"Sorry - it isn't a Prescott thing any more. It's now the Dept of Communities and Local Government under Ruth 'Boy' Kelly."

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Kelly.gif

Hmm - I see what you mean, Lucy!

Bahn-Jeaux
8th Jan 2007, 19:02
Hmm, page not available, tried IE and Opera but no luck.

BEagle
8th Jan 2007, 20:33
Works OK right now - 3784 signatures as at 2132 GMT 8 Jan 07.

pulse1
8th Jan 2007, 20:38
In response to me letter to my MP last February, the DPM's office wrote to assure him that the omission of the airfield exclusion was a mistake which would be rectified in the final version of the document.
I have now written to my MP again to ask him to object most strongly to being deceived by the DPM.

ariel
8th Jan 2007, 21:01
Hopefully,Ruth Kelly will have enough on her mind without worrying about airfields for now...

quote:

Outcry as Kelly sends child to private school

FORMER Education Secretary Ruth Kelly was today named as the minister who had enrolled one of her children in an elite £15,0000-a-year private prep school.

The move, revealed yesterday, has outraged Labour MPs.
But until today the identity of Mrs Kelly - a Roman Catholic mother of four now in charge of English Local Government in the Cabinet, was unknown. Mrs Kelly has taken one of her children out of state education near her East London home and opted for a Home Counties private boarding school that makes a priority of helping pupils pass entrance exams to Eton and Harrow - two of England's top public schools.

Mrs Kelly decided there was inadequate help in local schools for the child who is understood to have reading and learning difficulties.
Her decision to take the controversial step has been strongly criticised by backbench MPs.

Norwich North's Ian Gibson said the move was "wrong" adding: "I deprecate anybody, any minister who chooses to do this."

9238RJ98
8th Jan 2007, 21:14
I've signed up - from what I understand Redhill is in danger....

Cricket23
8th Jan 2007, 21:22
Done, and the link forwarded to the other members of 'my' group.

C23

Coke611
9th Jan 2007, 17:52
Added my bit!:)

Crash one
9th Jan 2007, 21:58
All Done
Now can we send them all to Gruinard Island & re introduce the anthrax?

rotorcraig
9th Jan 2007, 22:33
Just signed; there are now 4453 signatures!

RC

Airbus38
10th Jan 2007, 00:01
Done and done, forwarded on to others etc.!

RINKER
10th Jan 2007, 14:10
Done no prob
R

runway09
10th Jan 2007, 21:40
All done just passed the 5000 mark now.

Runway09

robin
11th Jan 2007, 10:25
All good stuff, but here is the reality....

The road pricing petition has reached 200,000 names and this is the result.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/01/11/nroads11.xml

Flying Lawyer
11th Jan 2007, 11:43
So that's one lost - unfortunately IMHO - but maybe the PM will respond positively to the 'airfields' petition to show (or more accurately,to give the impression) that he has some interest in what the public think - despite all indications to the contrary.

Don't be defeatist. No match is lost until the whistle blows.
The approach to challenging cases I stress when training young barristers is .....

If you think you're going to lose the case, you probably will.

If you believe you can win, you might.

I believe that to be true.

FL

jaycee46
11th Jan 2007, 13:46
Just signed too!

Robin makes a good point about the road pricing petition, but The Tonster and 2 Jags, with their Govt cronies stand to raise loads of cash from road pricing, and we all know how much they love to do that, so they can waste it on more pointless projects!

In comparison, there isn't much cash for him in the planning legislation, but loads of potential bad press, which I'm sure the GA community will not shirk its responsibility in heaping upon him and his henchmen, should the need arise.

Lower the Nose!
11th Jan 2007, 19:37
If you think you're going to lose the case, you probably will.

If you believe you can win, you might.

I believe that to be true.

FL

Agreed, but petitions don't work!! Demonstrations do occasionally, and concerted lobbying does rather more often.

tmmorris
12th Jan 2007, 08:50
Demonstrations do occasionally

Tell that to the Countryside Alliance. Mobilised c. 400,000 people to march in London and still lost the battle with the class warriors in the Commons.

Remember, if you can afford to fly your 'own' plane, you are posh, and therefore a target.

Tim

LowNSlow
12th Jan 2007, 10:37
For what it's worth the total is up to 5,745 now!

TangoZulu
12th Jan 2007, 11:40
Done - see if anyone listens!

TZ

jerrytug
12th Jan 2007, 20:28
Job done he is a stroker

ZFT
13th Jan 2007, 09:26
Signed from here and circulated to others.

Randomtox
13th Jan 2007, 09:30
Added my vote

The total now stands at 6115 !
random

davidd
15th Jan 2007, 15:50
Added my vote
The total now stands at 6115 !
random

Added.

PH-UKU
16th Jan 2007, 18:20
All Done
Now can we send them all to Gruinard Island & re introduce the anthrax?

Scuse me .. Mr Prescott is "one of yours" .. you can keep him ..... :=

after all, we've only just finished cleaning up Scotland after WW2 !!

Norwester
16th Jan 2007, 23:57
Signed it, even though I'm an expat.
Now if we can just sort out the weather for my next trip back to the UK, I might try to go flying again!
Good luck.

(Signatures: 7,323)

HAL-26
17th Jan 2007, 15:44
How about setting a target.

10,000 signatures before the end of the month. If we hit that number, maybe we can give AOPA and the flying magazines a headline for a story!!

It only takes a minute to sign up - and less than to tell all your flying buddies to do likewise.

Go for it!! :ok:

poss
22nd Jan 2007, 15:50
Cheers for posting the link, we cant let our government do this. signed

Just Cruisin
28th Jan 2007, 01:15
Just wanted to get this back near the top; signatures have virtually stopped, and there must be a few more out there.:ok:

Dysonsphere
28th Jan 2007, 13:42
will do it when i get home damm work anti spam software

Zulu Alpha
28th Jan 2007, 20:09
Lets see if we can get in the top 3. Currently we're 9th with 9203 votes.

This website was mentioned on the today program on Radio 4. If we're in the top 3 then perhaps we can get a national newspaper or even the radio people to mention us.

Also, we do have some MPs on our side and they can point to this petition as evidence of public feeling.

I agree that the fight isn't over yet...unless we give up.

Please urge all PPLs that you know to vote

Just Cruisin
31st Jan 2007, 11:40
Slipping off the bottom again!:ok:

Just Cruisin
2nd Feb 2007, 23:01
And again!
Petition has slipped back to 9th place.:(
Come on, tell your friends:ok: It probably won't work, but it certainly won't if we don't try!

T10
3rd Feb 2007, 08:54
Done it 9594!

Exasperated
3rd Feb 2007, 19:58
And me now 9621

Thumperdown
4th Feb 2007, 22:17
My signature added - 9662 :D

Just Cruisin
8th Feb 2007, 21:44
In case anyone's not seen it yet;)

Aeronut
9th Feb 2007, 22:18
I think the wording of this petition is very poor.

"We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to give consideration to a threat to airfields across the UK"

Are we asking him to start threatening airfields!

Another rival petition urges the PM to build on "underused" airfields.
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Buildonairfields/

Why would anyone be so bothered about that?

Aeronut
10th Feb 2007, 09:46
To illustrate how credible these e-petitions really aren't

How about this one:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/goldanthem/

PIGDOG
10th Feb 2007, 11:46
Feel free to sign up but be warned; if you disclose which number you are, your anonymity is at risk. It's possible to count back along the names (it'd be a bit anal for someone to actually do this :eek: ) and match it up to the number in your reply.

For what it's worth, I've signed up. :ok:

High Wing Drifter
10th Feb 2007, 12:04
I think we need an e-petition to stop and remove the e-petitions site. Despite the good intentions behind the idea (I live in hope) I suspect these just generate more apathy. People think they've done something by 'signing' where as I suspect these petitions, bar two or three, are totally ignorable.