PDA

View Full Version : Holes in the Chart for Vortrack

bigfoot01
5th Jan 2007, 18:52
Hi there,

I have recently passed my PPL Skills test and sent off my bits to the CAA. I now feel able to customise my chart :) . Based on the cool stuff my instructor had, I have invested in the Vortrack system for giving you the position with DME and VOR. I was wondering if anybody had any tips for making holes in the maps to install these and the folding of the map! Interestingly the chap that had the test before me had the neatest map you could imagine. My chewed up thing put me to shame....

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

matelot
5th Jan 2007, 19:10
... I was wondering if anybody had any tips for making holes in the maps ...
You will need something sharp capable of making a hole! :ugh:

Seriously, I use the point of a sharp pocket knife just to pierce, and carefully press through the stud, which is then held tight (are you using plain or laminated charts?)

My French charts aren't laminated, so I colour photocopy A4 sections and put them in plastic wallets, through which goes the stud. Any folding is minimal because it's only one sheet of A4. (The full chart is in my bag, BTW...)

I certainly rate Vortrack, but ideally for a cross-check you need two VORs visible on your chart. :)

egld0624
5th Jan 2007, 19:29
Hello BF01,

well done on your test; yep simple funky piece of kit to make VFR flying even more enjoyable... amazed just how few people use them... ok I use a needle to pierce the chart at the VOR/DME etc. widening the hole gently then apply the round magnetic disk on top of the VOR/DME firmly; then pierce that AND then push the stud from the underneath; by having the disk in place the chart is protected from further ripping and tends to make the black ring expand and contract around the base of the neck of the stud! If it doesn't then (and regardless) I use the Vortrack ruler (simply push it onto the stud as if you are using it) to reinforce the bond of the disk to the map and stud. I then cut a piece of the unused transparency to the reverse side over the stud to bootstrap it from dropping out. Voila.

Happy VOR-VOR tracking :ok:

EG:ok:

P.S. did you use the Knightson diversion wheel in your test? That's another gem that seems to be rarely used....

bigfoot01
5th Jan 2007, 21:32
I really like the idea of photocopying the chart. A chap at our flying school uses printed Memory Map charts in the similar way (I am sure he keeps an original map in his bag...)

I didn't use the diversion wheel in the test (wish I did, my approach put me a bit off and I managed to miss Sandtoft by 10 deg...) I found it in the end :\ and my kind examiner said, as I found it it was OKish....V nice man!

I think it will be really useful in the future though...

I will try the approaches in the morning and advise you of my outcome. Tips on folding the map would still be appreciated....

EvilKitty
5th Jan 2007, 23:46
There is an old thread here http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=132801&highlight=fold+chart
discussing chart folding.

500e
9th Nov 2007, 15:12
What you folders have been waiting for, NO excuse for the Pub :suspect:
http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/land_navigation_map_reading/how-to-slit-and-fold-a-map.shtml