PDA

View Full Version : Seneca III under 2000kgs?

fltcom
3rd Jan 2007, 15:21
Hypothetical question - If one were to import a Seneca from the US and keep it on the N register. What is the process required to register it at less than 2 tonnes for the purposes of Eurocontrol etc?

Please dont speculate if you dont actually know the answer

Many thanks

Flt

Kirstey
3rd Jan 2007, 15:52
I speculate that you bribe the man from the CAA with a bag of Onions.

rustle
3rd Jan 2007, 15:59
Don't know if you're a member of AOPA or PPL/IR, but there's a man there who has done it and knows all there is to know about it... ;)

Is it recorded at 1999kg on its CofA? (or whatever the N-reg equivalent is called)

fltcom
3rd Jan 2007, 16:23
I speculate that you bribe the man from the CAA with a bag of Onions.

Is he French?

Flt

eyeinthesky
3rd Jan 2007, 18:31
You can specify a limited MTOW of 1999kgs if you wish. I fly a Seneca III which is artificially limited to 1999kgs compared with a practical maximum of 2156 kgs. The impact on this is it limits the options of payload vs fuel. It means that really 4 up including pilot is the maximum with enough fuel to get anywhere. The extra 157kgs can be a real help if you need extra payload.

I suppose you have to decide how often you will fly IFR and be subject to Eurocharges compared to the number of times you will need that extra payload.

You will need a new C of G schedule, ZFW, MTOW and all that mullarkey to be reflected in the AFM and any loadsheets you use.

Despite all this, I don't know exactly how you go about it with the CAA.

421C
3rd Jan 2007, 19:19
Since you are keeping it on the N, I believe it is an STC with the approved changes to the flight manual. So it is the usual STC and form 337 process.

rgds
421C

scooter boy
4th Jan 2007, 14:49
In practical terms a bloke from Eurocontrol will write to you every year asking for details of your flotte actuel (fleet of a/c). The MTOW is included on this form and you should be OK at 1999kgs.
Isn't that the whole point of owning the seneca - to cheat Brussels?

SB (a slender 1528kgs)

Flying chimp
4th Jan 2007, 23:13
You could have a chat to Pat Wagstaff at Bristol Flying Centre(www.B-F-C.co.uk), they operate a large fleet of PA34, I think they could help you. Say that a friend from Blackbushe says hello.

JUST-local
5th Jan 2007, 01:31
You can do the same with the Warrior, it is offered to the european market with a MTOW/M of 999KG for landing fee/s etc.

Does anyone know if you are charged for IR training in aircraft over the magic 2000KG, I know a couple of schools use the Piper Aztec at 2359KG and the Cessna 310 2500 (ish).

Thanks

JL...............

flyingfemme
5th Jan 2007, 12:02
Training is exempt Eurcontrol but each flight must conform to a list of conditions.

OwnNav
6th Jan 2007, 13:01
Contact Piper for the STC, they send you an amended flight manual etc. Be prepared for Eurocontrol asking for evidence of the 'new' 1,999kg weight, I had to fax copies of the STC and other stuff..... :ugh: