PDA

View Full Version : Class 2 renewal - concurrent?

SteveQB
1st Jan 2007, 19:18
My class 2 medical expires in a few days. I am not likley to fly for a few months, so the question is: Can I leave the renewal until I want to fly again, or does it have to be renewed within a certain timeframe of the expiry of the old one?
Thanks in advance
Steve

englishal
1st Jan 2007, 19:21
Yes, you have 1 years grace with a Class 2.

SteveQB
1st Jan 2007, 19:23
nice one, many thanks for quick reply.

Now I had better get on with taking all those exams!

Cheers

Whopity
3rd Jan 2007, 23:15
Yes, you have 1 years grace with a Class 2.
In order to exercise the privileges of a pilot licence you need a valid medical, if you don't want to exercise the privileges you can leave the medical as long as you like, there is no limit or grace period! Just renew it again when you need it!

IO540
4th Jan 2007, 03:45
What is the expiry / renewal situation for the JAA PPL and the CAA IMC Rating?

Let's say I have let both lapse for 2 / 5 / 10 years but held an FAA PPL/IR or CPL/IR all that time and have loads of hours.

SteveQB
4th Jan 2007, 09:28
The reason I asked about a grace period was that I seemed to remember that the initial medical was more onerous (only slightly) and a bit more expensive than the renewal, but maybe I am wrong. I have done about 47 hours, and x country, but all my exams have lapsed, so I need to make a big effort to do them and then take the test in the summer, and I don't need my medical until then.

englishal
4th Jan 2007, 12:11
you can leave the medical as long as you like, there is no limit or grace period!
Just reporting what the AME told me last March when I went for mine (late) - I had FAA ticket and FAA medical still valid, so could still fly ;) He said that with the Class 2 there is a years grace period, after which you must re-do the initial.

IO540
4th Jan 2007, 12:36
I expect the answer is in lasors (which I am too lazy to look up) but I would be suprised if it expired that quickly.

There are/were some interesting concessions to holders of ICAO Class 1 medicals, plus a CPL/ATPL, but they appear to have very recently (Nov 2006) been pulled. I imagine the CAA hated this because it does CAA AMEs out of some work. I posted on this in the medical thread.

Whopity
5th Jan 2007, 13:54
A medical is either valid or it isn't. JAR-FCL 3 states that the requirements of a renewal are the same as an initial except where stated otherwise.

Some tests are conducted on a time basis therefore may not need to be be repeated every medical. If you haven't had one for a while, you will need to have all the prescribed tests but you will have to do that periodically anyway.