PDA

View Full Version : Torchwood - what aerodrome?

vancouv
26th Dec 2006, 15:04
Does anyone know what aerodrome it was in last weeks Torchwood episode?

Barnaby the Bear
26th Dec 2006, 15:59
I am guessing St Athan. Most of the series is filmed an around cardiff. The tower looked like standard military. Could be wrong though.
They did filma couple of scenes at Cardiff airport at the flying club.:8

paddyboy
26th Dec 2006, 17:05
Correctamundo.

vancouv
26th Dec 2006, 18:04
Thanks chaps

tiggermoth
26th Dec 2006, 20:34
We enjoyed that episode. Lovely biplane. Looked like they had taken the glass out of the cockpit window presumably to avoid camera reflections - or did it have no glass originally.

A fiesty little pilot she was...

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
26th Dec 2006, 22:33
Ah! de Havilland. The Rapide was the first aeroplane I ever flew in, aged 4 and a bit. A 1/2 hour pleasure flight from Ringway.

In the Dr Who episode, she had the D/V window open.

doubledolphins
27th Dec 2006, 20:27
Also a bit at Cardiff. Particularly liked the line "A Cessna!. My first 'plane was a Cessna. Hasn't changed much." This from a former ATA pilot? What was that all about? Must admit I was slightly concerned that Torchwood could come up with a new passport for all the people but no modern ATPL for her. Maybe the CAA should take over from the Home Office. :) (OK I know its not real.)

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
27th Dec 2006, 23:27
Thanks to all for not pointing out that I meant Torchwood and not Dr Who!

The point about the Cessna made me think twice as well. Theoretically, she may have flown the Airmaster that they built between 1934 and 1941.

jabberwok
28th Dec 2006, 02:52
"A Cessna!. My first 'plane was a Cessna. Hasn't changed much."

Valid comment on both points. The year they were dragged from was 1953 or 1954 if you recall Jack's question to her. Lots of Cessna's flying by then and yes, they haven't changed much at all. Neither have the engines... :} :}

ContinentalC85
28th Dec 2006, 14:38
Had a flight in that particular Rapide around the summit of Snowdon back in about 1990....
The girly who played the pilot was a great bit of totty.....

G_STRING
28th Dec 2006, 22:01
The guy who plays Owen Harper (Burn Gowan, or something like that), is also a hot bit of totty!

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
28th Dec 2006, 23:08
I hope you're a girl!

G_STRING
29th Dec 2006, 17:17
GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU

You've guessed it - I'm a girl!! Don't think G_STRING would be a very boyish name, (although you never know....).

Just pointing out that it's not just the boys who like to oggle (sometimes)

G_S

doubledolphins
29th Dec 2006, 18:02
Jabber, of course you are correct but her first aeroplane was hardly likely to be a brand new Spam Can. More likely a Tigermoth.

Saw the "new" range at Sun and Fun this year(172,182,206). Not too much difference on the outside but the standard two screen "Glass Cockpits" were outstanding. At the flick of a switch the flight instruments can be displayed on the right. Great if you are shairing the flying on a long trip.

tiggermoth
30th Dec 2006, 22:22
In the Dr Who episode, she had the D/V window open.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "D/V window"? (I'm only used to a little flap the size of a beermat on the PA28)

Sleeve Wing
31st Dec 2006, 14:06
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "D/V window"? (I'm only used to a little flap the size of a beermat on the PA28)

"Direct Vision".--- the one you use when the others are iced up ! -- or you've got fumes in the cockpit.

tiggermoth
1st Jan 2007, 22:37
"Direct Vision".--- the one you use when the others are iced up ! -- or you've got fumes in the cockpit.

Sleeve Wing - thanks - I learn something new every day (but forget two other things at the same time).

T.

IO540
2nd Jan 2007, 10:32
What is Torchwood? Some soap?

S-Works
2nd Jan 2007, 10:35
My god IO, where have you been??? You have set your leading edge reputation back years by not knowing what Torchwood is............ :p :ok:

High Wing Drifter
2nd Jan 2007, 11:15
I hope you're a girl!
Hey! Haven't you noticed, anything goes in Torchwood!

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
3rd Jan 2007, 08:24
Oh yes; bugger! Doh! soddit. Doh!

G_STRING
4th Jan 2007, 10:17
And what an end it was to the series last night, (Can't get digital, have been watching it on BBC2)

What gives with Jack? Strange but interesting