PDA

View Full Version : Le Mans

E36GUY
19th Dec 2006, 15:41
Hello there.

Just came across this forum by accident so hello everyone. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Guy, I'm 30 from London and am a big fan of anything that flies or drives. Unfortnately due to work, I'm a frustrated pilot who just has not had the time to get my PPL. My target is to have it before 40yrs old! To date I have flown gliders many times, a Boeing 727 simulator at European Aviation, several light aircraft and an Autogyro. One day one day!

So anyway, I run a tour to the Le Mans 24 hour race each year. For the first time in 2007 I am taking my own campsite with space for 90 cars and a good party. But that's by the by.

I have to go down there on Friday 19th Jan 07 for a meeting and to view the area they are suggesting for me in person to make sure it's correct. As it's a bit of a drive, am trying to work out, unsuccessfully I might add, if I can fly to Le Mans from anywhere near London. I know it's not a commercial strip so does anyone have any suggestions as to how to find out? Does anyone fancy flying down there (long shot!).

All the best.

Fuji Abound
19th Dec 2006, 16:21
Hello

I am afraid you have several potential problems.

Firstly the weather. Flying in the winter on a specific day in a light aircraft is at best unpredictable. It might be possible, it might be possible in a de-iced airways twin, or it might even then not be possible at all!

Next, the pilot. You can only cost share with a PPL (that is the law). So at best he would be paying for half of the trip. In order for you to pay for the whole trip you would need a commercial pilot and the trip would be air taxi work all adding considerably to the cost.

Thirdly, the cost. So taking one and two and the fact you might not want to cross 80 miles of sea on one engine, it will prove expensive - but maybe you had already taken that in to account.

On the plus side there are plenty of air taxi operators and schools who could get you to Le Mans and back in most conditions. If you need some ideas PM me and I am happy to help.