PDA

View Full Version : Conversion from FAA to JAA coming to an end?

mortennb
15th Dec 2006, 16:53
After all the debates I have seen regarding this issue. I recently found some information thats pretty nice to see for those of us who works in the US but are thinking about working in Europe.

Here are the main text:

In JAR regulations, it is opened for a bridging system between other civil aviation authourities outside the JAA. It is being developed a new bridging system between FAA and JAA right now, but they have not yet agreed on what it will take to get the FAA licenses approved under JAA. But it is said that they will agree on this before summer 2008.
Conversion of licenses can than be one of more solutions that again will be started between FAA and JAA.

The JAA countries have in an internal research discovered that more than 70% of todays pilots in Europe have a background from USA.
JAA have realised that the pilots educated in the US in some way have to be "approved" to avoid that the whole market won't colapse.
Many of the big airliners have their own schools in the US where they educate their own pilots. This airlines have big influense on the decisons made in JAA, and they have said in clear text that the US education will be number 1 compared to EU, and that European education in no way can compare with this in the near future. Espesially thinking about price for the education.

One of the Scandinavian countries CAA are now validating all of your licenses except CFI/II every year untill the new bridging system between FAA and JAA is set.

Opinions?

:ok:

mortennb
15th Dec 2006, 17:04
there is no way on earth this will happen. it would overnight destroy every flight training school in the UK, including the groundschool providers.

can you see the CAA letting anyone will an FAA licence automatically get a JAA licence? not in a million years.

I don't think they will just give you the JAA license. But probably go back to something like the old CAA conversion was.
1 airlaw exam + 1 practical flight

mortennb
15th Dec 2006, 17:10
i sincerely hope this doesnt happen. the UK market would be flooded with pilot and wages would be even lower and jobs even scarcer.

I can prefectly understand the impact this might have for schools in the UK as well as other JAA countires.

But then on the other hand, I am glad for me and other european pilots flying outside JAA , since I dont have to come up with another 35k to get my licenses..

Winnie
15th Dec 2006, 18:34
Should really keep this to myself but...

In the US, lots of europeans and others come over to get their licenses, spend LOTS of money, live there for two years, doing jobs that noone else wants to do, then goes home. What is the problem with that?

It's just like the problem with those guys sneaking across the border...
There is no other oportunity for anybody. If you are not american, nobody will hire you for anything BUT instruction.

You would be coming to europe for what? like you said there are no lowtimer jobs there.

All the licenses are based in some way on ICAO, so what would be the problem of changing it to a worldwide system, at least within ICAO.

How much you paid is irellevant, as is whether you did 14 exams or 3. Can you fly to the standard required? Do you know the relevant regs? If so keep on trucking.

I hold European (Norwegian CAA) licenses and US and Canadian. Had to convert to canadian licenses, which was a piece of cake. Converting to Norwegian, a LOOONG waste of time, effort, money and so on, but did anything change? No, the air was actually the same.

I think Europe should be looking more towards a licensing system like the ones in the US/Canada, as these are more realistic towrds the job we do, FLY aircraft.

My opinion.

mortennb
15th Dec 2006, 19:36
mortennb- Looking at it from your angle, consider this too. How many Americans do you know of in Europe with low-time flying jobs as compared to the other way around? I couldn't say, but I expect there are more Europeans doing flight instruction in the US than the other way around. The US itself may be pressuring the JAA to reduce its restrictions to make it easier for Europeans and Americans both to train and work in their respective homes.

Hey..

I want to give my first answer to you controller.
Yes, I did a research before I chose to take this education. But I can now say that as a guy with 0 experience for aviation. It's hard to understad what you have to go through to get JAA licenses. You read that I have to do a distance learning course with 14 exams in each topic. And think, ok.. I can do that.
But what you don't think about is the cost and time it takes to do it after 2 years away. Than you would like to start building more experience and pay off my loan.
And even though I want to continue learning, after full education in the US, and working your ass of as a CFII for enough money to barely live on, I would like to take a step up when I have reached my magical 1000.

I know that if I had a permanet work visa in the US. I would probably get a job within 2 weeks doing the same job as most people in Europe. But instead I need to come up with more money, study more and probably not fly for a year again. Doesnt sound fun.

There is 2 options you have to choose from when taking this education.

1. Do you want to get the education cheaper and have a great chance of getting a job as a flight instructor building your own experience and knowledge up. As well as getting allot of connections all over the world

or

2. Do you want to take the whole education in Europe. Struggeling to get a job so you can build time. As well as having a loan almost twice the size as if you took it in US?

Most people go for number 1.

And lifting.

I have never heard of anyone going the other way. Witch is pretty logical.:)

HillerBee
15th Dec 2006, 20:38
Having done the JAA exams etc, this doesn't make personally very happy. But in way it might be better. It all depends on how the bridging exams are going to be like. There is quite a difference in approach between Europe and the US, Canada, Australia. The best thing would be a universal license for the whole world. Wait a minute wasn't that where ICAO was for!?

Controller
Unfortunately there is NO flight training industry anymore in the UK. Oxford has ceased CPL training and I heard Cabair quit as well. Name me some schools that still do ab-initio CPL(H) training. I personally consider this a very, very serious.

The market won't be flooded with American pilots, they need work permits like we need them for the US. There is a pilot shortage in the US and it's most unlikely that we will have a lot of Americans over here. European going over to the US to train professionaly are not that many as well. I know HAI is limited to 80 J-1 visa a year and Hillsboro doesn't get that many by far. So that means for all of Europe there might be 120 CPL's coming back every year. The 40 or so from Hillsboro are all German/Austrian. So it's not large numbers we're talking about.

If the JAA system would change a bit, in the direction of the FAA system, maybe we could start training more ab-initio CPL's in this country.

Bravo73
15th Dec 2006, 22:39
london helicopters, heli-air, helicopter services, aeromega, biggin hill, ALL do CPL(H) training

They do indeed. But they offer the modular CPL(H) course.

Oxford and (apparently :() Cabair were the only providers of ab-initio integrated CPL(H) training.

HillerBee
15th Dec 2006, 22:51
Controller you are a US trained pilot yourself.

i sincerely hope this doesnt happen. the UK market would be flooded with pilot and wages would be even lower and jobs even scarcer.

A thread you started in 2005

too many new pilots???
I am currently at one of the large USA schools and there seems to be tons of students all wanting to be CFIs. Every 25 year old Norwegian seems to want to be a pilot.

Are there enough instructor jobs for all these people???

I know the US training market is big, but this school is producing 5-10 CFIs a month.

I also came across you're time logging question.!!

Darren999
16th Dec 2006, 01:21
Controller- I started off training in the UK due to weather and other constrants I travelled to the US to finish all my training. I did however flying privately in the UK. Once I obtained my CFI I started to teach in the US, I was lucky to be able to obtain a green card. I worked as a CFI building time, like most of us do, I then through a lot of study and hard work I achived my ATP.
I now fly the AW139. I would like sometime to return to the UK to be closer to my family, however I do not see why I should study for a further 14 exams to do the work in the UK I do here. On your post you state that pilots get there licences cheaper, and easier. I can quite assure you I didn't find the studying or the flight tests easier. Are you thinking that the quaility of training is not up to par with the JAA? Am I not as good as if I was trained under JAA....:uhoh:
If the rules changed somewhat I would consider returning to the UK. As posted above there would not be a rush of pilots back to the UK. Just my thoughts..:E

B Sousa
16th Dec 2006, 13:51
This little Squabble has been going on as long as PPrune.
I sympathize with those who have to go through training in the UK, Its ridiculously expensive and the written portion appears to be well above and beyond anything that you may need in an entire career. (Im sure I will take flak for that).
One of the companies I work for here in the states runs through a lot of non-US Pilots. It works for them and its cheap labor. Individual comes over from Europe on a VISA and after training somewhere, they have some time legally to gain some experience on turbines. Company hires them cheap and they burn up thier Visa, going home to Europe with a few hundred hours in the A-Star and or the EC.
Good for them, not good for those in the US who are starting off, but Helicopter Pilots are known for working cheap.

IHL
16th Dec 2006, 17:33
As a side bar:

As of December 1 , thereis a bilateral agreement between Canada and the U.S.A .

To convert a Canadian ATPL-A to an FAA ATPL-A only requires writing a diferences exam and having an FAA medical, the same applies for the FAA to Canadian conversion.

However : It only applies to fixed wing. In Canada a type rating is required for each helicopter type and in order to be issued an ATPL-H a check ride must be done on an aircraft requireing 2 crew as per the aircraft AFM.

But it is progress.

Whether you fly an ILS approach in the UK, CANADA or Italy; whether you do an auto in Norway, Sweden, or Argentina : The procedures are identical, I simple air regs exam ( in the perfect world) should be all that is required.

Darren999
16th Dec 2006, 17:48
IHL- Very good point, here here, the sooner the better :ok:

mortennb
16th Dec 2006, 19:14
IHL- Very good point, here here, the sooner the better :ok:

I like the fact that even someone who has done the JAA ATPL theory can see beyond what they had to go through, and look forward instead.

But isn't it pretty interesting to see that even some CAA countires in Europe thinks the JAA Requierments are to much?
With this I mean that I know one place where they validate your licenses all the time untill the new bridging system is up and ready.

After talking to them over the phone, I get a clear idea that they think JAA requierments are ridiculous, and this is how they solve it.

HillerBee
16th Dec 2006, 20:41
I know several people at several CAA's who share that opinion as well. The UK CAA has been very influential in the JAA.

Ioan
18th Dec 2006, 19:02
and so far this hasn't gone near the fact that I've spent 5 months sat in a classroom learning all about the 737, transatlantic navigation, fixed wing performance, etc - all to fly a helicopter.
The sooner they bring in a relevant ATPL(H) theory syllabus the better too, even if it is over the top!

Lightning_Boy
18th Dec 2006, 23:37
Mortennb,

Don't take this the wrong way but.......You have spent almost a year complaining about the JAA system. I agree with you, the majority of the course is of no use to helicopter pilots and yes I also agree, there should be an easier way to convert from an ICAO licence. You left the states long before I did, but in that time I have managed to complete the ATPL exams, get a ME IR and land a job. I'm not one of these people who say "I've had to do it, so should you" but unfortunatley, that's how the system is. We all knew these exams would be here on our return, complaining isn't going to make them go away. It depends how badly you want it, the controller is known for the odd winge granted ;) but he has worked his ar$e off over the past few months just to get the exams done, just like the rest of us.
A lot of people try and take the easy route, complain and convince themselves the regulations will be changed in their favour (I was one of them) but at the end of the day, if thats what your waiting for, you could be a long time sat on the terra firma.
Get your head down, jump through the hoops and when the licence does turn up, you'll feel good about the hard work you have put in.

Please dont take this as a personal insult to you (apologies if it sounds that way) its just advise to get you back up in the air and flying in the country you really want to fly in, home.

Hope it all goes well for you

LB :ok:

mortennb
19th Dec 2006, 03:24
Mortennb,

Don't take this the wrong way but.......You have spent almost a year complaining about the JAA system. I agree with you, the majority of the course is of no use to helicopter pilots and yes I also agree, there should be an easier way to convert from an ICAO licence. You left the states long before I did, but in that time I have managed to complete the ATPL exams, get a ME IR and land a job. I'm not one of these people who say "I've had to do it, so should you" but unfortunatley, that's how the system is. We all knew these exams would be here on our return, complaining isn't going to make them go away. It depends how badly you want it, the controller is known for the odd winge granted ;) but he has worked his ar$e off over the past few months just to get the exams done, just like the rest of us.
A lot of people try and take the easy route, complain and convince themselves the regulations will be changed in their favour (I was one of them) but at the end of the day, if thats what your waiting for, you could be a long time sat on the terra firma.
Get your head down, jump through the hoops and when the licence does turn up, you'll feel good about the hard work you have put in.

Please dont take this as a personal insult to you (apologies if it sounds that way) its just advise to get you back up in the air and flying in the country you really want to fly in, home.

Hope it all goes well for you

LB :ok:

I know what you mean LB. And if it comes to it, I will bite the dust. But the problem isn't to just start the "ATPL course". It costs money. As you probably know. And as you also probably know, most schools advertise with a lower price than what you actually will spend.. So you want to give me 35k for my JAA ATP and IR?

And I am not sure if your think I am in Europe sitting on my ass, I am still in the US with a visa valid untill October 2007. So I am not going home yet. And it doesnt matter where I fly. I would like to fly "home", but working 2/2 shift somewhere else in the world wouldnt really bother me. :)

And the conversion might change it might not. We will see. :ok:

luggage90
19th Dec 2006, 11:37
After all the debates I have seen regarding this issue. I recently found some information thats pretty nice to see for those of us who works in the US but are thinking about working in Europe.

Here are the main text:

In JAR regulations, it is opened for a bridging system between other civil aviation authourities outside the JAA. It is being developed a new bridging system between FAA and JAA right now, but they have not yet agreed on what it will take to get the FAA licenses approved under JAA. But it is said that they will agree on this before summer 2008.
Conversion of licenses can than be one of more solutions that again will be started between FAA and JAA.

The JAA countries have in an internal research discovered that more than 70% of todays pilots in Europe have a background from USA.
JAA have realised that the pilots educated in the US in some way have to be "approved" to avoid that the whole market won't colapse.
Many of the big airliners have their own schools in the US where they educate their own pilots. This airlines have big influense on the decisons made in JAA, and they have said in clear text that the US education will be number 1 compared to EU, and that European education in no way can compare with this in the near future. Espesially thinking about price for the education.

One of the Scandinavian countries CAA are now validating all of your licenses except CFI/II every year untill the new bridging system between FAA and JAA is set.

Opinions?

:ok:

1) Could you be mor clear in what you are saying : "I recently found some information " ? Where does the text you are writing come from?

2)When you are saying "One of the Scandinavian countries CAA are now validating all of your licenses", could you be more precise?

Thanks

mortennb
19th Dec 2006, 12:31
1) Could you be mor clear in what you are saying : "I recently found some information " ? Where does the text you are writing come from?

2)When you are saying "One of the Scandinavian countries CAA are now validating all of your licenses", could you be more precise?

Thanks

1. It's posted on one of the schools witch currently do the ATPL conversion. It's not in English, so there is no point in refering it.

2. All countries under JAA can validate your license. But some require hours and help from an employer. Sweden only require to see your ICAO license and logbook.

paco
19th Dec 2006, 14:55
Ioan - there is a specific helicopter course on its way, but it may be a little late for you (Easter 2007). It will be advertised on pprune in due course

phil

HillerBee
19th Dec 2006, 14:57
A validation is also only for that particular country, ie. you can't fly an aircraft not registered in that country. So basically pretty useless.

19th Dec 2006, 15:02
a ATPL(H) syllabus? it's about time. although i wouldn't want to be the first people sitting the exams, as there will be no feedback papers etc. one of the reasons the top groundschool providers gets such good pass rates is because of their excellent feedback obtained over many years. i heard that not one single person passed the first JAA ATPL Instruments exam in the entire uk!

theaviator2005
21st Dec 2006, 23:10
Alright, Im from Europe and i had to go through the whole ATPL process back in 2001, went through the whole ATPL groundschool and all the exams. I had decided to go to an english school in the US to do my JAA IR and CPL afterwards but ended up actually meeting a girl from the US that i got married to so i moved to the US and gave up the JAA system to create a life with her in the US, not because i really wanted to fly in the US now i just waisted a whole lot of money but because she wanted to live there....

So i started my FAA training and was hoping that my JAA ATPL training would help me alot, just to find out that i really just waisted my time with the JAA...... WHY??? ok heres why!!!

You sit in a ATPL class after you complete you PPL, now you go through alot of stuff that you have never been in contact with, Ok you go through stuff for your PPL but no where near what the ATP contains, and it is for many people hard to learn something when you are not able to apply it in pratice i mean you sit and learn alot of stuff about instruments navigation and so on and you are not able to use it before you finish all your exams and start the reminder of your training.... You try to cramp alot of stuff in in a small amount of time and most students and dont say otherwise end up sitting in the end before the exams and try to learn all the feedback questions that other students have given the school, because thats the only way for them to pass.... and when they then finish, it takes about a day or 2 before most of what you learnd is forgotten......

How many can honestly say that they remember alot from their ATPL 1 year later, atleast i can be honest and say that i dont remember much.....

Anyway, i started my FAA training and wasent able to use much of my JAA ATPL in that and finished my IR CPL CFI/CFII and started working my ass off as a flight instructor making next to nothing, but hey im not gonna complain...

After 2 years in the US my wife decided to run off with another guy so here i was stuck in the US for no reason and didnt really want to stay cos all of my family is back in Europe, but hey i just spend all my money on FAA licence instead of JAA and my ATPL didnt work anymore so i would have to stay in the US try to get a job or go back to Europe and do the whole ATPL again and yes i did talk to the CAA no way around it and then spend alot of extra money so i decided to stay and got a job flying LEAR JETS as an F/O good job good pay so i couldnt complain.....

I was in the US until september where i applied for a job in the middle east and actually got it so i moved.... and currently fly Lears here in the middle east........

Could i have done everything different YES would it have made me a better pilot, WHO KNOWS, did the JAA ATPL make me a better pilot NO.... would it have made me a better pilot if i had done the rest of my training JAA? NO.

What made me the pilot i am today is Experience, NOT 14 exams that i forgot within a year anyway!!! FAA OR JAA licence wouldnt have made a difference, flying is the same do i fly in europe or US its the same that applies rules might be different but at the end of the day Flying is flying....
I actually like the US way MUCH better then in Europe...The keyword in the US is experience, without min 1200 hours of flying you wont even be able to get a real job which is GOOD cos hopefylly you learn something in that time, where in Europe if you know the right people you can end up in a 737 with 250 hours which is SCARRRYYYYY no real life experience but oh well people can kill me now lol

In my mind the way CAA should do the training would be same way as the USA and ok they wont ever get rid of the JAA ATPL but why not give the kid a chance to learn and get experience before you kill his spirit with all this crap....how many havent i seen give up flying after the PPL, because the ATPL got to much of them...... There aint no Joy of flyin the whole year you do the ATPL and the whole reason why we do this job is because we love FLYING......

Why dont you go do your PPL your instrument and you Commercial....you wont use the atpl anyway really for that, and then go get a job get experience flying learn it and love it be a flight instructor or be lucky go get a job flying 737 and then say the ATPL is a requirement for you to be able to opgrade as a captain or something.... That would be the way of doing things right, and i tell you its a whole lot easier to do the ATPL when you got and idea about what flying is about....

Im sitting for the fun of it now once in a while with all those ATPL feedback questions and im actually able to answer them now because of what i have been doing and what i have learnd flying.....

And my situation again, i wont get a job in Europe unless i spend a whole lot of money converting my licence and take the ATPL again.... will it make me a better pilot????? is it gonna be any difference for me flying lears for a company in UK then it is here..... if so let me know cos im flying all around europe right now so if there is something i dont know i really like to know about it lol......

So would it be an idea to accept FAA licence and experience with the CAA i would hope so...not that i would go anyway lol pay is way better here anyway lol

And finally thet guy saying that europe would be full of american pilots with FAA licence HAAA no way.....more jobs and MUCH better in the US, only reason that i moved was to be closer to my family....why would they move to europe away from their family for a job that prob wont even pay half of what they would make in the US and there is WAY more jobs there anyway......

Anyway you can all kill me now if you think all i said is CRAP ;)

mortennb
22nd Dec 2006, 04:10
Anyway you can all kill me now if you think all i said is CRAP ;)

Well, I am not going to kill what you said... I think it is great to see someone like YOU make a comment about it after almost going through it.

I have to say that I got a student right now that has taken he's PPL in Europe. And he says that he is so glad he came to the US to finish he's CPL/ CFII. Due to the fact that not only does he save allot of money, but also gain more experience.
The amount of flying aircraft in the US is so much more than in Europe. Radio calls, airspaces and air traffic.. And this also means more flight planning and situational experience.. (correct me if I am wrong)
There is so much more to pay attention to. (from JAA educated PPL)

I think it's so stupid to see that JAA and FAA pilots fight about who is the best.. It's not about that.. It's about making the system itself better for the next guy who wants to get a career as a pilot.

If I have to go through JAA exams, so bee it. But I will for sure try to make it better for the next.

thecontroller
22nd Dec 2006, 08:53
flying in the usa isn't "better". it depends where you are. if you compare flying round the south of england compared to florida. the uk is harder.

yes it seems cheaper to do the cpl/cfi in the usa, but if you have to convert to jaa when your visa is up, and you want to come home - it can work out to the same cost. plus there is all the moving/flight/health insurance/car costs.

theaviator2005
22nd Dec 2006, 10:23
Yap yap yap....... you can always find places no matter where you go where i would be easier to fly.....South of uk yes hard south of spain hmmm prob not what difference does it make, you take yourself in IFR down to the minimums in minniapolis when its 10 below and you might have some fun there too..... Again you can argue the fliying but thats not the problem, The problem is the system and the system doesent work...
The JAA system is good dont get me wrong, but it aint perfect and the ATPL is one of the things they should look at.....
Why do you think more and more companies here in the middle east is now accepting pilots with FAA licence, companies that 2 years ago required JAA ATPL, because they see that pilots educated in the US got alot of experience, atleast 1200 min and most times even more...

I sat down and wrote and add on a different forum regarding a job opening we had for an FO to fly the lear, JAA/FAA didnt matter......
I got a WHOLE LOT of resumes, lots of JAA Guy's with between 250-400 hours lots of them even had a selfsponsored 737 Type, and then i had the FAA guys with NO 737 type but between 1500 hours and 2500 hours......who should my chief pilot take for interview?? wouldnt even conside they low time pilots, first off because of their lagging experience and second off because insurance is a whole lot cheaper if you got time in your book and the insurance does not look at wether you got FAA or JAA licence.... So what good did the JAA do to these guys, apart from putting them in the hole big time financially, NOTHING... they are sitting desperate with no job and endup desperate enough to spend an additional 15000 punds on a Stupid 737 type and only maybe and i say maybe 1 out of 20 are lucky to get a job.... THATS THE FACT and i know them as some of my friends a instructors on several british schools and knows all about it...

And finally dont get me wrong, the FAA systems is not perfect not at all....you got brilliant pilots with 900-1000 hours who cant get a job before they reach the golden 1200 but thats atleast something you can work with, you might have to slave yourself a bit more and instruct or some other crap for a little while longer, but atleast you FLY.

And at the end of the day flying is what we do, and we are good at it, Love it and live it cos before we know it its all too late, flying in africa, europe, Us, Asia, South america, its all the same we do this because we love it, so dont let the system take the joy away ;)

thecontroller
22nd Dec 2006, 10:33
mmmmm. yes, i can see your point. although i think in the heli world it's a little different, if you have a JAA IR then there is a very good chance you will get a job in the north sea (at the moment)

i think the magic 1,000 hours "rule" doesnt seem to apply anymore, i think nowadays its all about what type of hours you have. ie 400 turbine is worth a LOT more than 800 piston hours.

i know guys who are flying A109s with 400 piston hours, and i also know guys that are still instructing on r22s with 2,500 hours. i think it depends on what you're willing to put up with, if you're willing to live anywhere and of course what contacts you have. and a bit of luck of course....

there seems to be a much more clearly defined career "path" in the fixed wing world. not so in the rotary world.

windowseatplease
12th Aug 2009, 18:59
So..... almost 3 years later. Is there progress on a "new bridging system between FAA and JAA"?

mortennb
12th Aug 2009, 19:24
Nope. nothing..

I guess nothing will happen now before the JAA is replaced by the EU-ops for all of Europe. Think I heard this is to happen in 2012.

As far as myself, I have finished the JAA ATPL-H exams, gotten my CPL + IR in Europe as well.

And, my opinion is even stronger about the current requirements. The JAA is extreme.
I can only speak for the helicopter side, because I do not fly fixed wing. But 80% of the theory is already forgotten.
The worst thing about JAA is that they require so hughe amounts of theory that they take the focus off the important stuff. its not about learning the theory, but about passing the exams.. which in my eyes are wrong..

Mix the FAA with the JAA and you'll find a good level.

paco
13th Aug 2009, 03:57
My understanding is that the FAA were very receptive to the idea, and a delegation from the JAA went over there, but they shelved it.

Mortenb - I can assure you there will be times when you wished you'd studied that little bit harder and/or remembered it! The JAA stuff only looks extreme because they want you to learn it all before you start, although I grant you the exam system is a disgrace for all nations concerned. Possibly 10% of the stuff you will never use, but I have used most of it, sometime.

Any professional in any industry should be on a thirst for knowledge however trivial. An FAA or Transport Canada commercial checkride is on a par with any JAA exam. Takes longer, too.

phil

windowseatplease
13th Aug 2009, 04:22
Can you imagine what would happen if there was an "easy" conversion process from FAA to JAA?

All the UK ATPL groundschool providers, the UK flight schools, the B&Bs in Cheddar etc would all go out of business overnight!

chuks
14th Aug 2009, 03:49
How about this one?

Chasing an FI(A) with about 1 700 hours of dual given 30 years ago as a CFI in the States I finally scrounged a letter from someone who belongs to the family that once owned the school (closed long ago) to provide the "independent confirmation" of my time (What, I am going to forge logbooks from 30 years ago?) so that I don't have to work under supervision and supervise 25 solo flights.

Loooong silence from the CAA and then back comes the acceptance of my time but a request for something else (that no one had mentioned when I spoke directly to the CAA at the Belgrano) before the restriction comes off, the rating issued with the restriction and the requirement to pay an extra 84 quid to lift the restriction. No phone call or e-mail to tell me what they wanted first, they just mailed all my logbooks back along with this letter, when the new form does say to provide all the logbooks in connection with the application.

You know, I think these people are toying with me! Should I write to my congressman?

Norwegian-USPilot
20th Dec 2009, 22:26
Hi I am from Oslo Norway .

I have been livening in USA FL for over 8 yrs.
I have been working with one of the regional airlines and have over 1700 TT With 550 Turbine multi.
I got furloughed last week, and where about to convert my license FAA ATPL-JAA ATPL. Could you please assist me with schools that do the conversion in Norway?
Your help is highly appreciated.
:ok: and God Jul
Taymor Williamson