PDA

View Full Version : Avgas and Diesel prices hike (Tax

Captain Smithy
15th Dec 2006, 06:52
I just read about this on PilotWeb. Apparently Avgas is going up 20-30p per litre, price of Diesel is being hiked to match the price of Avgas.

Anyone think this will have much of an effect on flying training/schools and clubs?

Looks like aviation is once again the target of Eco-Fascism/greedy governments. Oh dear.

gcolyer
15th Dec 2006, 08:31
It's going to have an effect on my business miles!!! I only get 10p per mile back from my company and I do 10's of thousands of the buggers!!

Mariner9
15th Dec 2006, 11:21
It's going to have an effect on my business miles!!! I only get 10p per mile back from my company and I do 10's of thousands of the buggers!!

I trust you claim a tax rebate on your tax return for the balance up to the max allowed (isn't it currently 48p or thereabouts?)

pistongone
15th Dec 2006, 12:02
Well i get 40p/mile for the first 10 thouand miles, then 25p/mile in the tax year. I think this is standard practice? Thats using my own car on my company business.

Mariner9
15th Dec 2006, 13:47
Bit of thread drift here, but my understanding (and I'm no tax expert) is you can claim a rebate from your tax on the difference between the amount paid per mile by your employers and the maximum per mile allowed by the IR

Back to the thread, the proposed tax increases are not on Diesel for road use, they are on Avgas, Diesel for private marine use, and (maybe-I'm not sure on this one) Jet A-1 for private aviation use.

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
15th Dec 2006, 13:51
Do you have more information on the tax increases for Jet A-1 for private usage?

Mariner9
15th Dec 2006, 13:55
Lots of discussion concerning the issue on the Flyer forum (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=27953)

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
15th Dec 2006, 14:51
Bugger.

A quick look through this looks like all use of Kerosene for propulsion purposes will incur a minimum additional excise duty of €302 per 1000 litres.

That should put nearly all operators of vintage jets out of business overnight.
:(

IO540
15th Dec 2006, 15:45
Obviously AOC holders must be exempted otherwise hell will break loose with airlines buying their fuel outside the EU, not to mention retaliatory action against the EU by just about everybody else.

The question is... what is the cheapest way to obtain an AOC?

It's probably worth the effort for any sizeable school, operating diesels.

In fact I wonder if they already get duty free avgas, like AOC holders already can in most of the EU.