PDA

View Full Version : Barton

HGFC1
13th Dec 2006, 11:55
I have just heard a very nasty rumour that Barton (EGCB) is to close. :{ :{ Please tell me this is just a nasty rumour and that one of the oldest airfields isn't about to disappear. :sad:

742-xx
13th Dec 2006, 13:01
Wouldn't surprise me at all. It has been on the cards for a while now.
In light of recent events (landing fees, car parking etc.) it would seem at least plausible.

How reliable is your rumour ?

maxdrypower
13th Dec 2006, 13:42
Nope I Think You Have The Worng End Of The Stick . Lac Is To Close But Barton Will Remain An Active Airfield , Unless There Has Been Some Dramatic Truns Of Events

742-xx
13th Dec 2006, 14:16
So what happens if LAC ceases to exsist ?

Surely that just leaves Ravenair and a couple of 'copter operators/microlight guys ?

Would LAC just carry on under another name ?

Lets hope this rumour is just that: a rumour !!

maxdrypower
13th Dec 2006, 16:50
dont forget Barton is not owned by LAC it is owned by peel holdings. There are two microlight schools there ravenair, flight academy and another heli school plus all the privately owned aircraft . As far as im aware and I may be wrong LAC jjust leased all their buildings and stuff from someone else assumably Peel . They are operating the airfield not LAC they were just one and the original flying club

Russell Gulch
13th Dec 2006, 17:49
It would still be a pity for the "club" side of things to be lost.

Russ

tiggermoth
13th Dec 2006, 19:06
Yes, Lancashire Aero Club is the 'heart' of Barton, it's hard to imagine what it would be like there without it.

tiggermoth
13th Dec 2006, 19:17
Bloomin' 'eck that sounds much worse thanI'd imagined. Blimey. :(

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
13th Dec 2006, 20:12
A lot of the background can be found here; http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=252429 . A sad end to Britain's oldest flying club.

Squadgy
13th Dec 2006, 20:22
A sad end to Britain's oldest flying club.
Flying Club being the key word - despite what Dan L says there is absolutely no suggestion that Barton Aerodrome is closing, as others have said LAC do not operate Barton any more. The owners have stated that it will remain as an airfield.

HGFC1
13th Dec 2006, 23:21
Thank you all for your pleasant, helpful replies. I shall be passing them on to the friend who asked me to find out. I am aware that there have been rumours in the past but this particular one only came to light yesterday morning.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
13th Dec 2006, 23:40
Flying Club being the key word - despite what Dan L says there is absolutely no suggestion that Barton Aerodrome is closing, as others have said LAC do not operate Barton any more. The owners have stated that it will remain as an airfield.

Err, umm; that's the point I made. LAC is tits in a ditch, long live Barton Moss. I am mourning the passing of the Lancashire Aero Club that was, just that. It existed somewhat before Barton ever saw a flying machine.

I flew from Barton in the early 1970s. It's the only place I remember finding myself IMC in the circuit for no other reason than a low, Autumn, Sun angle and the cag from Trafford Park!

touch&go
21st Dec 2006, 14:19
Any update of whats happeneing, such sad news, started my flying at Barton with Dave Duckworth, what a nice bloke and his grounding helped me so much, and the time on the Grob as invaluable when I went to BAe in Adelaide as they had 10 of them as a starter aircraft, good luck guys hope it works out for you and you can resolve these problems.

Cheers

Peter

CAP509castaway
13th Jan 2007, 13:24
What is the latest at Barton?:sad:

Established Localiser
13th Jan 2007, 14:12
Current State at Barton...........Very Very Wet !!

I guess it will remain an Airfield as previously stated , change is sometimes not a bad thing in my view.

EL

Kerosine
17th Jan 2007, 08:07
Here's what is really happening..

LAC are bottoming out. They're not making enough money.

There is another interest looking to take over the LAC part, and also the clubhouse.

Can't remember all the details, but the airfield will not be closing as even if LAC goes under, as there is another organisation just itching to take over.

Dave

tiggermoth
17th Jan 2007, 11:13
Dave,

Thanks for the update.

TiggerMoth

bigelz1215
17th Jan 2007, 15:34
Here's what is really happening..

LAC are bottoming out. They're not making enough money.

Dave

LAC/Barton never used to be just 'about money' - I have been a memeber for just short of 20 years , I started flying in 1988 with Martin Rushhbrooke (a true gentleman flyer/instructor) when barton justifiably had a reputation as one of the friendliest clubs around. There were many reciprocal arrangements and the clubhouse was always full of people telling of daring do and offering sound advice and help. On a weekend and during the light summer evenings there were more movements than nearby manchester. We also used to have a superb Airshow each year. Greed in certain quarters put paid to that, and now Peel have taken over, it has definitely become just about the money. They have managed to kill all semblance of the friendly club by hiking prices , running atc like it was manchester or heathrow, making the general public and members pay to park their cars, removing all reciprocals . The consequence is that the clubhouse is empty even on summer evenings, other clubs no longer gladly visit Barton, enthusiastic parents no longer take their wide eyed kids to watch the planes and students are now beginning to pay through the nose to use a grass field. As already stated , there is more than 1 way to achieve a goal , strangulation is one of them - and sadly Barton is being strangled slowly but surely and the removal of LAC is one of the first symptoms.

Kerosine
17th Jan 2007, 15:57
I don't want people to misunderstand me, I don't know exactly whats happening at Barton, only what I've be told.
It would be a shame if it all went downhill for anyone, but aviation is becoming a cut throat industry. Picturesque sunday afternoons are long gone I would suspect.

Who's Peel?

Dave

Dog's Bone
17th Jan 2007, 19:41
Suggest readers see thread below, where the Barton Happening(s) thread was running for awhile - note the dates!
Barton Happening ................
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=162166&highlight=Barton+Happening
If you read the various messages you will hopefully understand how Barton has arrived at the situation it now finds itself in.
That also goes for Sheffield.