PDA

View Full Version : jeppview - any users out there

scooter boy
12th Dec 2006, 23:31
Gentlemen, it has taken 2 years for me to reach this point but I can safely say I am totally fed up with the bloody jepp charts paper revisions that come through my letterbox faster than I can file them.:*

I am switching to jeppview :D .
How are others using it?
Are you printing destination and likely alternate appch plates/arpt diagrams prior to departure or are you doing it on the hoof in the cockpit?
Do you get full sized paper en-route charts as part of the subscription?
Which tablet pc is best for in cockpit display and which gps to attach to it?

I am looking forward to burning hundreds of unfiled paper appch plates as soon as I get the e-charts going.:E Also I will not be carrying a bloody heavy bag full of mainly useless paper around with me antmore - yippee!

Thanks for your advice,

SB

flyingfemme
13th Dec 2006, 07:23
We print ours out so that they can be scribbled on and thrown away.

You do get paper charts but there is an option to print strip charts for your route - also to be scribbled on.

A and C
13th Dec 2006, 07:55
I have just got the Jeppveiw and was looking at geting an EFB to use in the cockpit but it became clear that the technology was not up to the job.

The small tablets are quite costly and not that easy to use in the air.

The way that I have gone is to print the charts that I will need on A4 paper (two charts per page) these charts are chucked away after the flight, the charts have a validity date on the top when printed, after that date the charts may have been replaced. Checking dates is a lot more work than printing a new set of charts.

At the moment I am trying to find a small printer to go in the "nav bag", once I have found one of these I will get a small laptop that will have some sort of mobile internet conection so that I can get weather,notams & file flight plans as well as print plates.

A lot of what I have done has been based on the experiences of IO540 who has been down this road before me, his comments have saved me from at least one very expensive mistake.

Also see the small printers thread on the computor & internet forum.

sierracharlie
13th Dec 2006, 10:37
An interesting review here (http://www.peter2000.co.uk/ls800/index.html) about using Jeppview and Tablet PCs.

S-Works
13th Dec 2006, 11:40
I have been using the Jeppview electronic plate service for a couple of years after getting fed up with the Aerad paper updates. My life seemed to be spent swapping bits of paper!

I have Europe wide coverage and find them excellent. Only draw back is they do not have a Mac version! It runs fine in Windows Vista inside the Parallel emulator though.

I run it on a tablet PC as well but not in the aircraft. My GNS430 has the plates in the database and I prefer paper plates clipped to the yoke. So for a trip I just print out the plates I want and put them in little A5 plastic pockets. On a touring trip I take the laptop and an HP portable printer and just print them as I need them.

I also have Flitestar IFR and the two interact with each other perfectly. You can plan a trip in Flitestar, it will do an entire trip kit including the approach plates.