PDA

View Full Version : FRTOL also for IFR?

acuba 290
12th Dec 2006, 12:21
as i know in Germany there is 3 types of FRTOL's like BZF 1 or 2 and AZF, but how it is in England? I have english FRTOL, which i made together with my PPL, but can i use this license also for IFR or it must be another FRTOL for IFR, like german AZF?

Dave Gittins
12th Dec 2006, 12:53
If I understand you correctly you are asking whether there are different categories of Flight R/T Operators Licenses.

I am not aware that once you have the one (normally) issued with a PPL you ever need another one. Certainly you can fly IFR (i.e at night or IMC) with the appropriate rating, neither of which requires another radio test to be carried out and passed.

DGG

GusHoneybun
12th Dec 2006, 12:57
true, but.....

if you want an IR, you also need to have passed the IFR Comms exam (amongst other exams). no practical test required.

acuba 290
12th Dec 2006, 12:58
If I understand you correctly you are asking whether there are different categories of Flight R/T Operators Licenses.

I am not aware that once you have the one (normally) issued with a PPL you ever need another one. Certainly you can fly IFR (i.e at night or IMC) with the appropriate rating, neither of which requires another radio test to be carried out and passed.

DGG

so you mean i don't need another radiolicense anymore, no more practical exam for radiotelephony, only passed theori during IFR training?

FormationFlyer
12th Dec 2006, 13:05
FRTOLs issued with PPLs are restricted to VHF only. Typically commercial licences are issued with a new FRTOL (with the commercial comms exam having been passed) will be issued as unrestricted.

AFAIK this is not a UK CAA FRTOL but a JAR FRTOL. Therefore I am suprised there are '3' levels - under JAR there should be 1.

Whopity
12th Dec 2006, 14:01
In the UK there is only one level of FRTOL, its privileges are to operate a radio station in any aircraft. It is issued in accordance with the requirements of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU). There is no mention in those requirements of anything to do with VFR or IFR so they have nothing to do with the licence.

The UK limit the privileges of the FRTOL to VHF only operation (no frequences below 60 MHz) unlesss you have passed an examination covering HF radio propagation i.e. the CPL Radio Aids exam or the RTF HF exam.

The JAR-FCL IFR Comms paper has nothing whatsoever to do with the UK FRTOL; it is a JAA pilot licensing exam.

There is no such thing as a JAA FRTOL! RT privileges can be apended to a JAA Pilot licence!

The UK FRTOL can be used in any UK registered aircraft regardless of the flight conditions or flight rules. The holder doesn't even need a pilot licence!

FormationFlyer
14th Dec 2006, 11:04
In the UK there is only one level of FRTOL, its privileges are to operate a radio station in any aircraft. It is issued in accordance with the requirements of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU).

[snip]

The JAR-FCL IFR Comms paper has nothing whatsoever to do with the UK FRTOL; it is a JAA pilot licensing exam.

There is no such thing as a JAA FRTOL! RT privileges can be apended to a JAA Pilot licence!

Indeed you are right. Having re-examined it, it is a UK FRTOL. Whilst the JAR-FCL IFR Comms paper may have nothing to do with it per-se passing the CPL/ATPL exams will result in the HF restrictions being removed when a CPL is issued. I did the UK ATPL exams and therefore didnt have to deal with this.

S-Works
14th Dec 2006, 14:00
It is not just the CPl that the HF restriction is removed, if you do the IR exams which have the IFR Comms exam paper you are also permitted to use HF.