PDA

View Full Version : PPL FLYING, the fast way!

jet2us
7th Dec 2006, 22:32
Hi all

Bit of a random topic I know but wonder if anyone might like to chat about this one. As I understand it, its possible that PPL holders can fly fast jets, when i talk about fast jets i mean ex military training aircraft - Jet Provest, Hunter, Vampire etc. Obviously time on type has to be built up before you can do so but was told it is possible.

Just wondered if anyone knew if a Hawk T1 would (when finally retired) come under this catagory? Can anyone shed any light on if Hawks will go down the same route as the JP in the future and if anyone knows what the likley licence requirements will be for them?

Just interested in general stuff along those lines and thought there might be a few people on here who might know some more information.

Regards

XL319
7th Dec 2006, 22:51
I would imagine the Hawk would be allowed to fly under CAP632, however the rules may change. I know there was some discussion on this matter at the CAA not so long ago.

I fly a JP and not had any problems in getting exemptions etc. The hawk is comparable with the Hunter/Gnat and they are still flying.

DSAA
8th Dec 2006, 13:15
To my knowledge, providing you hold the appropriate ratings - jet engined, multi engined (if applicable), etc; and the military release the aircraft for sale as surplus after they have been retired - a PPL holder can fly any ex-military aircraft providing reheat has been disabled.

It is possible though you're looking at a long runway requirement and clearly fuel costs wont be cheap.

Hope this helps.

18greens
8th Dec 2006, 13:47
I'm sure the Hawk will appear on the registers one day (if i remember rightly someone has an F16 in the US and there is talk of a Jaguar appearing on the civil register soon.). They must be cheaper and easier to maintain and easier to fly than a JP,Hunter or a Gnat otherwise the gov't would never have bought them.

Fuel wise I bet they would be quite cheap compared to the older machines. Although if they are cheaper to run they will cost more to buy.

It would also be great to see a Tucano on the private register.

The only catch is you need to wait until the government forces have no futher use for them and replace them with something more relevant. Will the Hawk 100 be replaced with the 200? Anyone know when this might be?

DSAA
What isthe reason for reheat being disabled- are the CAA scared somone might have too much fun, or are they preserving the atmosphere and the pilots bank balance?

DSAA
9th Dec 2006, 16:51
I should think it has something to do with the large conical flames and private property...plus the civilian world has no need for reheat.

I reckon most people will have enough fun flying at 400+kts without having to kick in a burner.

jet2us
10th Dec 2006, 14:05
Cheers guys that gives me a bit of info, at the moment Ive had no jet experience along those lines but would (once hopefully going commercial) like to look at is - it all sounds fun. What do most people do with aircraft like this? Do most start a syndacate? or if you have the capital I guess you just find one?

Regards

englishal
10th Dec 2006, 16:48
Wait for the new range of VLJ's to come out.

You should be able to rent a DJet or similar for a reasonable price (operating cost is about $400 per hour)....

18greens
11th Dec 2006, 22:21
= Do most start a syndacate? or if you have the capital I guess you just find one?

Regards

One of the best routes is to join a syndicate. The efforts of setting up to operate, instruct on and maintain the ac have already been done. All you need to do is get in and go....go ............go..................Shares are available from £1,000.

On the other hand if you do have massive amounts of wong, £100K buys a Hunter and you can then go.. go.......go.........(and you will need to find a maintence org and an instructor and a source of lots of fuel)

For a £million you can buy a Spitfire .......

Lightnings are available for £10K per hour (quite cheap reallly)

The sky is the limit. How far do you want to go.