PDA

View Full Version : Flying a Saratoga PA32-301T (HELP!)

Cessna 210 Heavy
7th Dec 2006, 14:21
Hi all,

I have recently been invited to fly a 2003 Piper Saratoga (PA32-301T) As you will be able to tell from the name I normally fly Cessna 210’a but I have got 50hrs in Arrows and PA28s.

The thing is I have never flown a turbo, and this airplane is a little bit more ‘up to date’ than most singles I have flown before.

Although I am confident I will be able to fly it without any bother, after my 5 hours differences training, there is so much more to learn than I think I could pick up with an instructor. Does anyone have any tips or hints about flying big turbos, leaning, and general engine handling?

Thanks

Flyin'Dutch'
7th Dec 2006, 14:53
Saratoga is nothing more than a big cherrytree. If you have flown C210s I suspect you'd be allright.

Google for 'Deakin engine management' and read his Pelican Perch articles. All very good and informative.

Even if you don't want to fly anything with a big lump up front.

:)

Found them here (http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182544-1.html) you have to register (free)

GK430
8th Dec 2006, 12:23
The new Saratogas are an absolute delight to fly. Just watch the TIT guage and do not over lean, and always start backing off the power progressively in the descent.
It's a fast machine so stay ahead of the game - well unless you're used to that new Mooney of course.
Enjoy.