PDA

View Full Version : Aptitude Acronyms

Bridge23
3rd Dec 2006, 12:38
Dear all,

As you are all undoubtedly aware, the military has an obsession with acronyms and although I can make sense of most, there are a few which most definately pass me by!

I was recently having a discussion with Professor Plum about our OASC Aptitude Test scores for each branch and there was an acronym which neither of us understood.

As I understand them: (there may be errors)

PLT = Pilot aptitude
WSO = Weapons System Operator aptitude
ATC = Air Traffic Controller aptitude
FC = Fighter Controller aptitude
INT = Intelligence aptitude

Both Professor Plum and myself scored between 120-145 on these aptitudes, however there was also a single-digit score next to the acronym 'CRB' and I have no idea what this represents. My CRB score was 5 and Professor Plum's was 8.

Does anybody know what CRB represents?

Also, being in the precarious position of having been 'Weakly Recommended' for IOT and awaiting a decision at the board's further discussion, secondly to pilot (my sole branch choice) which aptitudes do you think are best to have scored highly in to bolster my chances for selection?

All the best,

Bridge23

Rossian
3rd Dec 2006, 13:24
Bridges
CRB = Criminal records board? Is there something you want to talk to us about perhaps? Obviously it won't go any further than here. You do trust me - don't you?
The Ancient Mariner

Two's in
3rd Dec 2006, 15:15
Just so you can positively shine on your subesequent interviews, be prepared to fascinate and amaze the panel by sharing that what you have in fact listed are "initialisms" and not "acronyms". An acronym is a word formed from the initial letters, such as NATO, but when the initial letters themselves are used, it is an initialism eg. ATC.

Mach2
3rd Dec 2006, 16:20
CRB =Critical Reasoning Battery. It is the score you achieve in a specific battery (ie set) of tests designed to measure how well your brain works!!:D

The other abbreviations you mention are simply short titles for the various officer branches.

Lukesdad
3rd Dec 2006, 17:09
Can anyone tell me what a good CRB score is and what is its top score?

Aynayda Pizaqvick
3rd Dec 2006, 17:58
It' not a score to be used in isolation. From what I remember the max score is 9, (I think mine was 7 or 8) however a friend of mine from EFT 'only' got a about a 4 but had pilot aptitude scores about 10 points higher than mine. Neither of us got chopped so I guess a 'good' score is relative.

Lukesdad
3rd Dec 2006, 18:16
Many thanks AP, don't suppose you also know what is a high score for Pilot Aptitude and what is the highest achievable score?

Aynayda Pizaqvick
3rd Dec 2006, 18:59
No idea I am afraid. Can't even remember my own score now. Someone at work suggested recently that 130 was the bare minimum that would get you in these days but I have no idea what they were basing that on or how accurate that is.

Raymond Ginardon
3rd Dec 2006, 19:16
Bridge,

I'd try not to get too wrapped round the axle by scores/numbers (yes, I know, I was the same). There is a lot more to it than that - and besides, you can't change anything now, it's done (for now)!

There is a lot of stuff spouted about the aptitudes, many people have titbits of info and it's easy to bite off on the 'little snippets' and assume they are of huge importance. Loads of people have much to say about it - which is good in some ways, but there is a LOT of misinformation/misunderstanding about.

I wish you the best of luck - and if you don't get it first time, just keep going and going and they might just get sick of you and let you in... (I managed to fail several times!).

Ray :-)

Lukesdad
3rd Dec 2006, 22:03
Many thanks to AP and VP.

DSAA
4th Dec 2006, 07:59
'Passmark' is 112 - but as VP says higher scores are more competitive - to my understanding though, as long as you pass you are in with as much chance as anyone else providing you pass the other elements of OASC.

However, if by the end of the process Mr A and Mr B have produced equally weighted write ups, and are deserving of passing the selection process, then aptitude can be used as the tiebreaking score to determine which of the two are selected.

Pontius Navigator
4th Dec 2006, 17:39
Top CRB scale is 10. No one gets 10. 9 is unusual. 8 is normal tops and so on down.

A CRB score is not related to aptitude and a low CRB does not automatically mark someone down.

Lukesdad
4th Dec 2006, 17:56
Pontius Navigator many thanks, maybe you could also tell me what the highest score is for Pilot Aptitude?

Bridge23
4th Dec 2006, 22:17
So out of all the tests we sat during that 6-7 hour aptitude test period, which specific tests were designed to tests the CRB ability?

Maybe the one where we had to manage 3 inputs at once?

Pontius Navigator
5th Dec 2006, 07:27
Lukesdad, patience my son. Grading 0-10 is one thing. Telling you how far below the top 112 is is something else again.

Bridge, you really need to ask that question? It is critical reasoning, you are given a number of tasks, do you have the ability to work out and commnicate an effective solution?

For example:

Mission - to get the whole team from A to B by 1500

Plan - one team member remains at A, rest of team reach B at 1445.

Brief - brief as plan.

Conclusion - CRB score -----

--------

Mission - as above

Plan - half team sets out on foot to point C. Remeained of team sets out by car to point B. One person returns to point C and collects rest of team. Whole team reaches Point B at 1459.

Naturally one test does not give you a CRB score nor does it stop you getting 8/10 as sometimes you will never see the wood for the trees. It is how you tackle all the mental and physical tasks set and could include helpful advice on the floor exercises if the team leader asks for opinions.

Lukesdad
5th Dec 2006, 08:46
Navigator

Sorry, didn't realise the numbers were a sensitive issue.

The enquiry was only of academic interest.

Pontius Navigator
5th Dec 2006, 20:46
Lukesdad, it is more a question of sensibility than sensitivity.

If I told you that tops was 200 (it isn't) you might assume that anything close to 112 was as good as a fail. (Under confidence).

If I told you it was 140 (again it isn't) then you might assume you were better than you actually were. (Over confidence).

If you know you are well above the pass criteria then you can relax in blissful ignorance because, as others have said, a high PA score is not the be all and end all.

Lukesdad
6th Dec 2006, 08:38
Navigator, yes I quite understand the thinking behind the non disclosure. I am just a little unsure as to why it is aceptable for other parts of the testing procedure to have their scoring criterea disclosed and not the PA.

Surely the same under/over confidence issues are as relevant to CRB as they are to PA?

With that said I would not wish you to think that I am pushing you for any further information on the subject. In my (non services) life,I have learned blissful ignorance is not a bad place to be!

Professor Plum
6th Dec 2006, 08:47
I've heard that the top score is 180. Although thats from a friend of a friend of a friend sort of source, so it may be wildly inaccurate!!

I know someone who got in the 160's.

Surely it doesn't matter what the max score is....because you'll never get that score anyway!

What is important is the pass mark, and the score you achieve. Just make sure that: your score>pass mark!

nick0021
6th Dec 2006, 09:24
PP,

Yes it is out of 180....

I got 156 :cool:

Pontius Navigator
6th Dec 2006, 15:24
Lukesdad is quite correct.

I believe there is a world of difference between a CRB range of 1-10 with a practical range of perhaps 3-8 and a PA score that ranges upto 180. The PA score is also potentially more emotive. That is all I was alluding too.

Nick, that is partly what I was trying to avoid, like telling exam results. Everyone does their best.

GPMG
6th Dec 2006, 15:40
CRB =Critical Reasoning Battery. It is the score you achieve in a specific battery (ie set) of tests designed to measure how well your brain works!!:D

The other abbreviations you mention are simply short titles for the various officer branches.

Are you sure that it doesnt stand for Cute Round Bum?
Maybe the RAF are trying to recruit a perter standard of Officer?

Lukesdad
6th Dec 2006, 16:36
Well there we are people, everything I've come to expect from PPRuNe.

A question from me:

A considered response from the Navigator

The answer from Plum and nick 0021

And things put back into perspective by GPMG !

I am no longer in ignorance and I have a better understanding of the system.

As Butch once said to Sundance, 'Who are you guys?'

Pontius Navigator
6th Dec 2006, 21:30
Lukesdad, your last line begged a one-liner. Instead I had another glass of chardonay.

Lukesdad
6th Dec 2006, 21:51
Navigator:
For extra credit, name the sheriff that was pursuing Butch and Sundance!

Pontius Navigator
6th Dec 2006, 22:08
Joe Lefors.

Lukesdad
6th Dec 2006, 22:13
That just confirms what I already suspected,

You do know everything!

Always_broken_in_wilts
6th Dec 2006, 22:19
No Luke,

As a Nav he has no proper job therefore has plenty of time to swot up on that sort of triv:E

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Pontius Navigator
6th Dec 2006, 22:19
Ld, PM .

Safety_Helmut
6th Dec 2006, 22:28
You do know everything!
Yes, it does appear that way sometimes..............to the uninitiated.

S_H

Lukesdad
6th Dec 2006, 22:34
Looks like you have a bit of a fan club forming out there Navigator!

Pontius Navigator
6th Dec 2006, 23:04
SH, on what basis?