PDA

View Full Version : Aeroplane loses lights to cockpit (18000ft) lands Cardiff

tiggermoth
29th Nov 2006, 23:58
While waiting for my butty to be made yesterday (29/11/06) I read in that quality publication 'The Sun' that (if I can remember the phrases used roughly) it read..

...that a millionaire at 18,000ft lost lights to his cockpit (due to a blown fuse), and asked a passenger to hold a small torch that he had to see the instruments and he landed with no harm at Cardiff. There was some comment about it being 'touch and go' whether they would make it or not. It said also that the pilot remained calm.

Good on the pilot to remain calm, and get it down safely a credit to him. Does anybody else have any more on this one? I've Googled, but to no avail.

T.

mazzy1026
30th Nov 2006, 07:54
I swear I read that as 'torch and go' :p

Sorry :E

dwshimoda
30th Nov 2006, 09:47
If it's the incident I read about, then it happened to John George who is the MD of JAG communications, a mobile phone company based in Cornwall:
Jag Communications MD John George was forced to make an emergency landing at Cardiff International Airport last week when both the alternators on his plane lost power.
George was flying his aircraft over Brecon Hills with company executive Andy Whitaker when the power loss occurred. They were flying at 18,000 feet. George made an emergency distress call and started a descent to the closest airport as the aircraft started losing more power.
He said: 'It really was a scary quarter of an hour; it was pitch dark and we were in cloud and ice when the power went.' The controllers at Cardiff moved traffic to ensure they kept out of the failing aircraft's way.
The plane landed safely at the airport and rolled to a stop on the runway, where the radio failed. 'You wouldn't believe how much that voice at the control tower means when you are trying to land a failing aircraft,' George said.
George and Whitaker tried to get a commercial flight from Cardiff to Newquay but a plane had been struck by lighting and also had to make an emergency landing at Cardiff.
The pair decided to return to Cornwall in a hired car.
Jag MD on Crash Course (http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/content/15252.asp?men=1&sub=2)

Not sure what his aircraft is, but looks like he did a good job and wasn't sensationalist about it.

tiggermoth
30th Nov 2006, 19:21
Well done on finding that! Lucky chaps.

Chequeredflag
1st Dec 2006, 13:57
He was returning from testing a Honda Integra R that he intends to race in the British Touring Car Championship in 2007.