PDA

View Full Version : JAR-FCL theoretical exams - re-expiry

742-xx
28th Nov 2006, 09:50
I am in the unfortunate position that my RT exam is 18 months old and therefore needs to be re-taken. ( I have yet to complete meterology for the full set)
My question is do I have to do the practical and theoretical exam again or just the theoretical ?
I have read LASORS and it seems to stress theoretical ?

Thanks in advance.

Whopity
28th Nov 2006, 19:32
See AIC19/2004 (White 95) Para 4. http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aic/4W095.PDF
The two RT exams must be passed within 18 months of each other when applying for a FRTOL at the same time as a PPL. The practical is not essential to obtain a JAA PPL but, is essential to obtain a Flight Radiotelephony Operator's Licence (FRTOL)

If you have allready passed both RT exams you could have applied for a FRTOL at no charge by completing the Certificate on FCL508/SRG1106 Section 5. See Note 3. http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1106.PDF

742-xx
29th Nov 2006, 11:49
Thanks Whopity.
The situation I am in is that I have completed all of the theoretical exams except for meteorology. I already have the FTROL, having completed the theoretical and practical exams.
The 'problem' is that I did the RT course and exams 18 months ago.
I was wondering if I would have to just re-do the theory exam or the whole course ?
I am guessing that I will have to re-do some of it to comply with the 18 month rule ?
I have looked through LASORS but it is far from clear.

Whopity
29th Nov 2006, 18:59
If the FRTOL has been issued, you would only have to do the Coms theory again as thats part of the JAA PPL group of exams which all have to be passed within 18 months.

maxdrypower
29th Nov 2006, 21:03
I was int his same position a few years ago in that I passed the rt practical and theory but found myself in a position whereby I would not have completed the rest of the exams in the required time thus making me retake the RT practical and theory. I checked with the CAA who informed me if the practical and theory were out of date then I would have to re-do both. I then boxed clever as previously mentioned and applied for a FRTOL . This was issued and I continued my training at a later date . I had to do no more RT training in order to qualify , There is a seperate form to fill in on an appliocation for a PPL which you just ignore and the CFI struck through the RT portionof the grounds exams signed it and wrote already issued and wrote down the licence number , job done. i would suggest if you are still able then apply for your FRTOL asap once its issued its valid forever I think if not ceratinly a long time

742-xx
30th Nov 2006, 12:06
Clearly this is no straightforward issue.

I will speak to a CFI and see what they think.

I have already got the FTROL.

Thanks everyone.

homeguard
30th Nov 2006, 19:28
The JAA now EASA required that all pilots were given training in Radio Telephony as part of the training and should be able to demonstrate that knowledge. The CAA chose to satisfy that requiremnt by having a Written Examination as a demonstration of knowledge and therefore the pilot having followed satisfactory training and study.
If you hold a valid UK R/T Licence then you satisfy the demonstration of knowledge. I would also annotate the PPL application form to the effect that you are exempt the RT Exam for the above reason. All the others would have to be within an 18 month block of course starting with the pass date of the oldest passed exam. (Not counting the R/T pass date for that is not now relevant)

742-xx
1st Dec 2006, 12:51
Thanks Homeguard.

That's helped a lot and cleared things up for me.

All the best.