PDA

View Full Version : Smal twin did emergency landing on highway

Flying Bull
24th Nov 2006, 19:22
Hi folks,
also I'm a rotorhead ;-)
I think you might be interested
http://www.wdr.de/themen/panorama/unfall06/a52_kleinflugzeug/index.jhtml

For the english speaking ones - little twin did emergency landing short before reaching the airport.

Seems to be this aircraft
http://www.vhm.aero/flotte/pipersenegapa34.html

Rumors in the article - and in TV - are shortage of fuel.

PX and Pilot injured, as well as drivers, but no one critical.

Greetings Flying Bull

rotornut
24th Nov 2006, 19:35
To see the video click "Kleinflugzeug auf der A52 notgelandet" on the right side near the bottom.

SLATS_EXTEND
24th Nov 2006, 20:08
Oh, by the title I thought this was about a 777...:E :E

Chilli Monster
24th Nov 2006, 22:09
Landing on the other side of the road with the flow of traffic might have been a good idea!

Gertrude the Wombat
25th Nov 2006, 08:49
Landing on the other side of the road with the flow of traffic might have been a good idea!
Tricky, that one, I've always thought.

Land against the traffic, and there's a fair chance theyll see you coming and get out of the way. Land with the traffic and there's pretty well no chance they'll see you until you're about truck height off the ground. So, it seems like you're balancing a small chance of a high speed collision against an almost certain lower speed collision.

Is there any evidence-based conventional wisdom on this?

Slopey
25th Nov 2006, 14:00
I imagine the conventional wisdom is not to land on a road with traffic at all - lest you kill anyone else besides yourself! Especially in the litigious US!

EvilKitty
25th Nov 2006, 15:54
I imagine the conventional wisdom is not to land on a road with traffic at all - lest you kill anyone else besides yourself! Especially in the litigious US!

Well, yes.

But given the choice between a long, straight(ish), smooth(ish) length of tarmac or concrete that bares more than a remarkably passing resemblence to a runway, or a field with unknown bumps, dips, holes, ditches, vegetation (type and height), wetness (could be dry, damp or waterlogged), livestock, etc., which would you choose?

Slopey
25th Nov 2006, 16:31
If it was a busy road, I'd choose the field. If it was an empty road, I'd choose the road probably.