PDA

View Full Version : Tornado F3 "shoots down" Typhoon - according to Navy News

Navaleye
17th Nov 2006, 23:10
According to Navy News.

Here (http://navynews.co.uk/articles/2006/0611/0006111701.asp)

FormerFlake
18th Nov 2006, 05:55
Typical PJHQ sending the wrong aircraft on the wrong job. How is an F3 supposed to destroy a ship?

airborne_artist
18th Nov 2006, 06:31
Cdr Simon Ward, Nottingham’s CO, said working alongside the RAF had proved extremely useful for both sides.

“This exercise heralded the next generation of co-operation between the RAF and RN,” he added.
“It’s a key function for both Services to be able to co-operate.”

Do you know, I think he's onto something. :ugh:

London Mil
18th Nov 2006, 07:21
I blame the "third (or is it second?) man in the cockpit". Always a little too cosy. ;)

grumpyoldb
18th Nov 2006, 07:22
Typical PJHQ sending the wrong aircraft on the wrong job. How is an F3 supposed to destroy a ship?

I think the intention was that the F3's would take out the air cover. In which case, it was the right aircraft for the job.
We all know that the press don't have an understanding of what they are writing about.

O2thief
18th Nov 2006, 07:30
Ex WW run by the NATO Combined Air Operations Centre (CAOC 9), based at RAF High Wycombe.

jonesthepilot
18th Nov 2006, 08:18
Excuse my ignorance of matters nautical but for how long have the CO's of ships been Commanders and not Captains? Is this just another example of cost cutting? It all seems a bit back to front to me - in the RAF squadron bosses were always Wing Commanders and not Squadron Leaders!:confused:

May Day
18th Nov 2006, 08:55
Excuse my ignorance of matters nautical but for how long have the CO's of ships been Commanders and not Captains? Is this just another example of cost cutting? It all seems a bit back to front to me - in the RAF squadron bosses were always Wing Commanders and not Squadron Leaders!:confused:

A person of any rank can be the captain of a ship, theoretically, ie the Captain of a minesweeper is likely to be a Lt Cdr or even a Lt.

Jimlad1
18th Nov 2006, 09:41
"Excuse my ignorance of matters nautical but for how long have the CO's of ships been Commanders and not Captains? Is this just another example of cost cutting? It all seems a bit back to front to me - in the RAF squadron bosses were always Wing Commanders and not Squadron Leaders"

Most minesweepers and patrol ships have Lt Cdrs driving them, Frigates / Destroyers will be a 3 ringer, while some have Captains (depends on the role though). All capital ships will have a 4 ring Captain driving them.

jonesthepilot
18th Nov 2006, 09:55
Thanks for that chaps. Further question then, if a Lt Cdr is OC the ship is he referred to as the 'ships captain'? Do his crew refer to him as the captain or the boss or what?

ORAC
18th Nov 2006, 10:04
IIRC, the commander of a ship is always addressed as Captain, regardless of rank. If there is another officer of the rank of Captain on board, he is addressed as Commodore, so that there can be no confusion....

brickhistory
18th Nov 2006, 11:26
IIRC, the commander of a ship is always addressed as Captain, regardless of rank. If there is another officer of the rank of Captain on board, he is addressed as Commodore, so that there can be no confusion....

But what if Lionel Ritchie and his ex-band mates got back together and did a benefit concert aboard a ship where there was a captain and a commodore......?

Ah, there's the door, I've been looking for that.......

Navaleye
18th Nov 2006, 11:39
It is unusual to have two Captains on a one ship, unless the Senior Captain has been given a specific group responsibility in which case he would adopt the title Commodore. Commodore is not a rank, just a title, although he has flag status in all but name. The officer maintains his place on the Captains list and reverts back to Captain on completion of the assigned duties

WE Branch Fanatic
18th Nov 2006, 13:10
Changed now Navaleye - Commodore is a rank.

Tourist
18th Nov 2006, 13:14
A Lt Cdr will never be "OC" of anything

airborne_artist
18th Nov 2006, 15:11
As WEBF says, Commodore now a substantive rank, equiv with Brigadier and Air Commode. It was the case that it was a 1* title that was taken with a specific appointment, and the holder then reverted to Captain on relinquishing the role, as my old man did when he was DCOS at Northwood.

Schiller
21st Nov 2006, 12:03
Naval ranks are quite easy to understand.
The senior officer of the ship's company is always the commander. The commander of a ship is always known as the Captain, unless, of course, he is the Commander. He may, however, not be a captain but possibly a commander, if not a lieutenant commander. The second-in-command of a ship is the Commander, unless it's a small ship in which case he is the First Lieutenant, although he might possibly be a lieutenant-commander. On a big ship, the First Lieutenant is not usually the first lieutenant, but a junior lieutenant-commander or perhaps a lieutenant.
The Army is easier. The colonel of the regiment is usually a lieutenant-colonel, unless he is the Colonel of the Regiment, in which case he may be of any rank, or even, theoretically, a civilian.
The RAF is simple as long as you remember that Pilot Officers are not necessarily pilots, Flight Lieutenants don't usually command flights, squadrons are not led by Squadron Leaders, Wing Commanders have little to do with wings and groups aren't commanded by Group Captains. God knows what Air Commodores do.
I hope this makes everything clear.

airborne_artist
21st Nov 2006, 12:10
The Army does also get things back to front from time to time; evidenced by the fact that a Lieutenant General out-ranks a Major General :D

sirsaltyhelmet
21st Nov 2006, 12:20
The Army does also get things back to front from time to time; evidenced by the fact that a Lieutenant General out-ranks a Major General :D

Or Sgt Major General as they once were known. Hence the disparity

Safeware
21st Nov 2006, 12:41
SchillerFlight Lieutenants don't usually command flights, squadrons are not led by Squadron Leaders, Wing Commanders have little to do with wings
...if they are aircrew. Otherwise, they do generally.

But quite amusing anyway.

sw

GPMG
21st Nov 2006, 12:49
You forgot the fact that it is a Sgt/Maj who is really in charge of an Army company and not the Captain. The same way that it is a sgt that runs the troop and not a Lt.

Unfortunatly they forget to mention this to baby officer once they leave training.

spectre150
22nd Nov 2006, 10:09
Navy News was wrong on more than one account. As o2thief has already pointed out, WYCOMBE WARRIOR is a CAOC 9 ex - run by NATO not just 'RAF staff from High Wycombe'. The ship was given some fighters to control (which they thought was good value), some maritime attacks from DA-20s and Hawks, and some COMAOs were routed past the ship so that everyomne got some interaction and trg value. All pretty standard stuff on a WW.