PDA

View Full Version : Attn all Redhill/Biggin/Fairoaks pilots

chevvron
15th Nov 2006, 16:38
NOTAM H3999 details operations in Mig Alley and as far east as Chatham at night by helicopters which may not be carrying standard lights! Don't the idiots who approved it know how busy this airspace can be?

niknak
15th Nov 2006, 22:36
As the notam refers specifically to operations "at night", you, as a civillian pilot, will be flying above the sector safe altitude and IFR.
The helis, (Military) will be flying "VFR" at night, as they are entitled to do, however it is incumbant upon them to see and avoid all other traffic.

This all takes place in Class G airspace, where there is no IFR separation required unless you are participating in an approach control service from an ATC unit and that unit is able to give you (from radar derived information) traffic info' on what may be the participating heli's - or maybe they aren't..

All you can do is take advantage of a radar service from he most appropriate unit and remeber that the helicopters are just as entitled to be there, doing whatever they want, as you are.

Floppy Link
16th Nov 2006, 09:36
And because they'll be using NVG, they will see you from miles away, as long as YOU have your lights on!

London Mil
16th Nov 2006, 10:24
... and they will probably looking out of their window as opposed to playing with a 430/530/296/496. ;)

Saab Dastard
16th Nov 2006, 11:08
Thread drift, I know, but helicopters which may not be carrying standard lights reminded me that a few weeks ago I had the pleasure of watching a pair of RAF / army helicopters flying into Kneller Hall (Twickenham) late at night, one of which had no lights of any kind showing.

Seeing Chinnoks and other mil rotary traffic coming into Kneller Hall (Army School of Music) is a relatively common sight, even at night, but this was the first I've seen unlit.

Impossible to tell the type, as one was nigh-on invisible, but I think that at least one was a Chinook. Impressive at 200 feet!

SD

mm_flynn
16th Nov 2006, 12:54
As the notam refers specifically to operations "at night", you, as a civillian pilot, will be flying above the sector safe altitude and IFR.

or more likely in that area you will be ..

(d) ... flying at an altitude not exceeding 3000 feet above mean sea level
and remains clear of cloud and in sight of the surface. under IFR as per Rule 29

cirrus01
16th Nov 2006, 19:33
Formation of 4 Apaches and a Lynx following up went overhead my house yesterday..........now I know why !

Often get a Chinook or two transiting , but the Apache is a rarity. Good to see them after all the money spent and the long delays :D