PDA

View Full Version : Strip near Lyme Regis?

QDMQDMQDM
5th Nov 2006, 11:11
The boy palaeontologist (8) is pestering me to go to Lyme Regis. I can't face the drive. Is there a strip anywhere near by? A microlight strip would be fine:200m or more.

QDM

Fuji Abound
5th Nov 2006, 12:22
Farway Common

http://www.farwaycommon.com/

Branscombe would be nearer but is closed to visitors but maybe worth a try.

QDMQDMQDM
6th Nov 2006, 09:08
Thanks. Was wondering if anyone knows anything nearer?

pistongone
6th Nov 2006, 10:42
Branscombe list contact details for PPR thus:-
Branscombe
Provided by Mike King - Sky 4 Aviation:
Pilots wishing to fly into Branscombe for the Aeronca Fly in on Saturday 29th and for the Air Day and Classic Car Show on the 30th should note the following.
All arrivals MUST be PPR (telephone 01297 680259 or before the events 01297 680360)

Call Exeter Approach on 128.975.

Branscombe Radio 131.15.

Do not overfly the village nor the properties at the West end of the airfield other than the airfiield buildings

Arrivals on the Sunday bust be on the ground by 1230 hours local. Departures after the air display at 1645 hours.

Type: Unlicensed
PPR: Yes
Position: N50°41.8 W003°09.6 Map / Photo
Altitude: 450ft AMSL
Sunset time: 16:39 Z

Phone: 01297 680259 or 07970 251386
It would appear they are willing to accept incoming if you ask nicely!
Hope this helps. It is the nearest listed site on my database.

Mixed Up
6th Nov 2006, 11:03
Why not try the "it's over-heating and had to put it down to cool off" trick. ;) How much time do you need? You may not even have to sweet-talk a shotgun-waving farmer!

Good luck, and I hope the drive isn't too onerous.:O

QDMQDMQDM
7th Nov 2006, 13:31
I could almost certainly put it into a field within walking distance of the beach. I guess I could pull the 'flapping cowling" trick and then, if the farmer is friendly, say "Well, now since we're here would you mind if I take Junior down to the beach?"

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago taking Mrs QDM to a hotel and the chef / owner came to pick us up. I had permission to land in a field, but landed in one next door to it by mistake. The farmer and his wife came along and said: "We were quite intrigued to see a light plane land in our field. But then when we saw a chef in full costume running across it as well, we had to come and investigate!"

I took them for a flight and they were chuffed. I think most people probably don't object to a Cub or similar landing in their field unannounced. It's what the barnstormers used to do in the 20s.