PDA

View Full Version : Long-term flying costs for oversized pilots

mad_bear
1st Nov 2006, 10:10
Hi

Sorry if this subject is old hat.

Here's my problem. I am a student pilot looking into whether I can afford to fly on a regular basis when (if) I qualify for a PPL.

The problem that I have, and that most people don't have, is that I am 6'5" and weigh about 17st (110kg). And before anybody starts singing `Who ate all the pies?', I should point at that I'm relatively thin at 17st, being 3 feet wide at the shoulders. I could probably get down to 105kg with a bit of effort but, short of amputating something I doubt I will ever weigh less than this. Or would want to, to be honest.

What this means (so far as I can tell), is that I can't really fly anything smaller than, say, a Cessna 172. Any two-seater aircraft is like a jacket on me. I can fit into the larger open-cockpit type flex-wing aircraft, because there's no roof and my hips are narrower than my shoulders, but I'm way over the seat weight limit.

The cheapest I have seen for hire of a C172 in my area is about 94 quid an hour. I've looked into group ownership of that type, but the cheapest I've seen anywhere in the UK seems to be about £50 per month + £50 per hour wet. In the London area, it's nearly twice that, and not very different from hire prices.

It doesn't seem to be the case (so far as I can tell) that aircraft of this size and type fly out of farmstrips, under the auspices of the PFA, etc. They seem to be on licenced airfields and under full CAA maintenance, which all adds to the cost.

I would cheerfully fly microlight to reduce the cost if I could, but I can't.

So.... am I doomed to paying a hundred quid an hour to fly indefinitely? Or is there any other way?

Best wishes
Bear

denhamflyer
1st Nov 2006, 11:50
Im in a similar position to yourself (although I could loose some weight :sad: )

I found that when you do all the W&B on smaller aircraft you either become norman no mates or can only travel very short distances without luggage.

So I invested in a C182 - great size and weigth carrying capabilities. I would suggest you look into group ownership if you are going to do lots of flying and need access to a larger aircraft.

Bear in mind that when you hire a larger plane it often travels faster and thus uses less actual time potentially, small change I know - but can make a difference on longer journeys.

Sorry - I dont know of any cheaper way of doing it . But if you find out let me know...

Rod1
1st Nov 2006, 12:20
There are some PFA types which were designed with overweight Americans in mind. I think you will fit in some of the VANS range. The best would probably be the 8 but you may well be ok on some of the rest. I would give PFA engineering a call and ask what types they would recommend.

Rod1

J.A.F.O.
1st Nov 2006, 18:02
Supercub?

Cheapish farmstrip flying and with full fuel will lift two big blokes, you might need to fold yourself slightly to get in - everyone does - but I'm sure you'd fit and it's the most fun that I've ever legally had.

I'm a shorty at 6'1" but I'm a right lardy - try it out but be prepared to get seriously hooked and find out just how wonderful this hobby can be - door open on a summer's evening with the radio turned off is as close to perfection as man can get (women may well be able to get closer).

Go on, you know you want to.

airborne_artist
1st Nov 2006, 18:17
Suggest you PM Aussie Andy. ISTR he faced a similar challenge, but managed to get a PPL.

S-Works
1st Nov 2006, 18:21
I have the perfect thing for you!! We are selling a Piper Cub Cruiser, 3 seats, one up front that would accomodate Jeff Capes and a bench seat behind that can take 2 if cosy. Costs about £50 an hour to run!!

Son of the Bottle
1st Nov 2006, 18:38
My own experience (6'6" ~16st) is that the Piper Cherokees are a good alternative to the C172's & C182's. I have flown a C172 (180hp) out of C600m grass strips, and that didn't struggle at all, though I wouldn't be quite so sanguine about a lower powered Cherokee.

I've also flown C152's with ease (very flexible me), provided your passenger is fairly slim & elegant, they're OK two up. I enjoy aerobatics too, and fly a Decathlon regularly. That's OK, but again your passenger needs to be on the petite side. Both of these aircraft are good grass strip aircraft, but you need to be careful about fuel load.

I don't know, but I have been told by a 6'4" bloke (none too slim) who used to own a Pitts-S1C, that the pitts is an ideal aerobatic aircraft for the larger pilot. Perhaps this is more performance than you're looking for, but I would be remiss if I didn't mention it.

flyingfemme
1st Nov 2006, 19:10
Mind over matter, Mad Bear. Mr FF is 6'4" and built like the proverbial brick outhouse.....I think he's around 18.5 stone and he's not fat. He also earns his living as a ferry pilot; he can, and will, fly anything. Used to own an S1......couldn't wear a seat-parachute but had no other problems. He did used to moan when I had an old C150 :) but he fitted in, slightly sideways.

Once you have your licence there is time to look around and find something comfortable.

J.A.F.O.
2nd Nov 2006, 09:06
I have the perfect thing for you!! We are selling a Piper Cub Cruiser, 3 seats, one up front that would accomodate Jeff Capes and a bench seat behind that can take 2 if cosy. Costs about £50 an hour to run!!
Get thee behind me, temptation.

S-Works
2nd Nov 2006, 09:37
Get thee behind me, temptation.

It is an absolute darling to fly, uses a hanky sized bit of runway and is very very cheap to run! And some would even say the steering wheel is at the right end......

Perhaps a visit to Spanhoe for Karl to do the puppy dog sell on you is needed......

I would actually be gutted to see it go as I have spent many hours swanning around the sky with the radio off in it. But at least I have the Chippy in reserve!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
2nd Nov 2006, 09:52
I would actually be gutted to see it go as I have spent many hours swanning around the sky with the radio off in it. But at least I have the Chippy in reserve!

In reserve? In reserve? I think you're over-selling that Piper if you're implying you'd rather fly it than fly the lovely Chippy.:)

S-Works
2nd Nov 2006, 09:58
In reserve? In reserve? I think you're over-selling that Piper if you're implying you'd rather fly it than fly the lovely Chippy.:)

Well sometimes I do! The chippy is a great airplane, but limited on space and range and a hot day even with the canopy open at the stop the heady smell of oil and fuel makes my feeble stomach turn! It does make me feel (if not look like) a Top Gun......:p

The cub was used as an ariel survey plane by the portuguese mil and has a camera port in the floor and something like a 7hr range! It is a stunning strip flyer, I have been in and out of sub 250m microlight strips easily this summer and a good cruise at 90mph.

Kanu
2nd Nov 2006, 15:17
Mad bear

I'm the same size as you and during my PPL I managed to fit in the PA38/28 and post PPL, C152/172. Currently doing an instructor rating on the C152 so your size WON'T be an issue.... Step on anyone that tells you otherwise!

The only thing that needs to be concidered is the amount of fuel that you can carry during your lessons but the saving you'd make flying a 152 is worth the effort.

Good luck:ok:

OpenCirrus619
2nd Nov 2006, 17:01
We are selling a Piper Cub Cruiser

Where can one find the advert / details / .... ?

OC619

S-Works
2nd Nov 2006, 17:51
Where can one find the advert / details / .... ?
OC619

One can call me and ask to be put in touch with Karl. PM me.

shortstripper
2nd Nov 2006, 17:54
Being 5'5" suddenly seems quite an advantage :) You big fellas get the girls when you're teenagers, get the best positions when playing rugby, and get to look down at us (otherwise superior? :\ ) short ar$es lol ..... Now it's payback time!!!! :E

Only joking ... good luck, and if you like minimal flying, the old Evans VP" will take a single big pilot with ease ... andfly just as poorly as with a light weight, so is non descriminate.

SS :ok:

B2N2
2nd Nov 2006, 23:07
Apart from MTOW issues, there are differences in 152's.
Try different model years. I have flown 152 where I was cramped (5'10" 178 lbs)
and I've flown 152' with seat rails that went further back and I couldn't reach the pedals with the seat in the most aft position.(?)Strange but true.
The Piper Traumahawk has somewhat of a gold fish bowl for a cockpit same as the Beech Skipper.

Traumahawk;
http://www.carlisle-flight-training.com/fleet_photos/g_bgsh_pt.jpg

Beech Skipper:

http://gottaflyaviation.tripod.com/skipperside.jpg

Deaf
3rd Nov 2006, 03:28
Try a Jabiru 160 for size or the 200/400 series. Quite cheap to operate.

Them thar hills
3rd Nov 2006, 05:44
MB
Try to find someone who has a Murphy Rebel and try that for size.
There's plenty of room in one of those ! I know this to be true.
There was one for sale at Coal Aston, Lycoming powered.
They're OK for strips, not as good as a Cub, but are still a capable aeroplane and being on a Permit, not too expensive to operate. It's a 90 knot machine but so what, teararsing about isn't everything !
TTH

QDMQDMQDM
3rd Nov 2006, 09:21
Super Cubs fit plenty fat Americans. They would be fine for you. Load carrying no problem. It will fly with whatever you can stuff in.

Fun, fun, fun. Was doing farm strips all over N Devon and Lundy yesterday, two up, off in less than a hundred yards. Super.

Otherwise a big engined Cessna, a Maule, but these are more expensive, although get you places. My SC, realistically, costs me £75 per hour to run, not in a group.

QDM