PDA

View Full Version : Can you help

ebonybailey
26th Oct 2006, 16:22
Hi
I have 2 children who live with their mother in Cromer near Norwich. At present I travel up the M3, M25,M11,A11,A14 to get to them meaning no less that 4 hours driving and its a killer, I do this every 3 weeks on a friday and do it again on a Sunday.

I am desperate to get a plane their and back can anyone help me. 2 people going up 4 coming back. Needs to be as cheap as poss, someone mentioned £90 an hour to me. May just start with the friday and drive on sunday, it depends, help needed your replies will be great.

Closest airport to me is blackbushe not sure what is near cromer, I am sure there is an airfiled closer than Norwich though.

** I'm not asking for a free ride, I am willing to pay, just depends on cost**

Michael

Say again s l o w l y
26th Oct 2006, 17:39
I'm not sure I understand what it is you want. Is it someone to fly you up and fly you back? Or do you want to get a licence and fly yourself?
Getting someone else to fly you up isn't really an option since it would a psuedo-public transport flight and if you paid a charter company to get you there, it would cost an awful lot more than £90/hr.

Light aircraft travel is never the cheapest option.

J32/41
26th Oct 2006, 17:55
PM Sent.

I may know someone that can help.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
26th Oct 2006, 18:16
I also have child who lives with mother near Cromer, maybe we should start an airline?

But seriously, I do the trip from the SE regularly, and agree it's a bind, but I have access to several aeroplanes that can land there (nearest strip is 3 mins away) and choose to drive. I have flown up there once and by the time you drive to your airfield, get the aeroplane out of the hangar, fly there, secure it, get a lift to house etc etc, it's just as quick to drive.:ugh:

ebonybailey
26th Oct 2006, 20:25
I am after someone to take me there and bring me back, I appreciate its not the cheapest but for two reasons I am looking at this area is. 1. it means an extra 6 hours with my kids 2. I have been doing this journey for 6 years and I can not do it anymore, not only have I got to deal with the motorways mentioned I have to deal with them at some of the busiest times of the week.
:sad: I am open to any suggestions, this is what i do at the moment

Friday leave Fleet at 1pm get to Norwich at 6pm
Leave Norwich at 6:30 and get to fleet for 11:30

Leave Fleet Sunday at 1 get to Norwich at 5
leave norwich at 5:30 get home at about 8:30

If its a good day. So you can see on average we spend around 20 hours driving over a very short period of time, and very little real time with the kids at all, I am looking to change that.

I'm not sure I understand what it is you want. Is it someone to fly you up and fly you back? Or do you want to get a licence and fly yourself?
Getting someone else to fly you up isn't really an option since it would a psuedo-public transport flight and if you paid a charter company to get you there, it would cost an awful lot more than £90/hr.

Light aircraft travel is never the cheapest option.

ebonybailey
26th Oct 2006, 20:28
where do you travel from? how long have you been doing it. I am hoping that the person flying us there would be ready for when we get their.

Now here is a stupid question, but remember I dont fly:

Do we need to bring our passports, do the children need to?
how quick is it to get from the car park at blackbushe to the plane/hanger what do you need to go through

Michael

ebonybailey
26th Oct 2006, 23:40
I run a B2B Telemarketing company, and in return for flights on a friday every 3 weeks as mentioned in my initial message I can recipricate with some free telemarketing to promote your business. Just a thought, I am that keen to do this.

Michael

cjhants
27th Oct 2006, 07:57
ebony,
to answer some of your questions, first the easy ones. from the blackbushe car park to an aircraft on the apron, no more than 2 mins walk. no, you and the kids do not need passports.
now for the negative stuff:
as mentioned above, most pilots of light aircraft will not be able to accept payment for a flight, or a benefit in kind, as you suggested. without going into all the legal stuff, its almost always a no no.
secondly, even if you got yourself a PPL, you would run into weather problems quite often, so would end up driving anyway. the hours you want to fly would for most of the year be after dark, so would need a night rating, and then you run into problems of aerodrome operating hours and runway lighting (or lack of it).
i havnt got the book to hand but from memory cromer (northrepps int airport) is a short grass strip of about 500M, and not suitable for many 4 seat aircraft.
i can understand your desire to get out of the car journey, but doing it on a regular basis in a light aircraft is a non starter. thats not to say that somebody on here may not be willing to give you a lift once in a while.
good luck
CJH

airborne_artist
27th Oct 2006, 08:13
Cromer won't be licensed for ops after dark, so how do you plan to cope with the clocks going back on Sunday. You'd have to leave Hampshire at/before 1500 on a Friday in Dec.

Time to spare, go by air....

Will Hung
27th Oct 2006, 08:13
Is the business about the passports a wind-up ?

Julian
27th Oct 2006, 08:34
Possibly not Will.

A mate of mine got told he was being sent on a business trip to Scotland and got in a flap as he had lost his passport!!!!

His other classic was "Do Bonzai trees have shorter seasons?"

But he was a Brummie :)

J.

Bahn-Jeaux
27th Oct 2006, 08:43
Is the business about the passports a wind-up ?

I had to use passports as ID for myself and kids a while back just to get through security for a pleasure flight.

Andy_RR
27th Oct 2006, 08:50
Michael,

I don't know how old your children are, but you might be better to consider other options like perhaps using a private hire car to do one or both of the legs. It would almost guaranteed be cheaper and more reliable than flying an aircraft that can carry 4 passengers for that journey.

Also, compared to jumping in your car and driving, you wouldn't believe the amount of fannying around that goes towards getting a plane into the air safely.

Plus you can't easily stop and let the kids have a pee etc.

A

pistongone
27th Oct 2006, 08:58
Ebonybailey,
interesting handle, is there a story there? AFAIK as long as you pay not more than an equal share it is legal, so half going up and 3/4 on the way back, then vice versa. I know a lot of pilots who would like to build hours and that could be an attractive proposition. Blackbushe to Cromer in a Warrior would probably be 3.5 hours all round and the pilot would have to pay for 1.34 hours yet log 3.5. So our Warrior @£99.00/hr wet means 3.5 hrs for £134.00. Thats like £38/hr in a warrior. The possible problems are:-
1) The kids might be troublesome.
2) You need to be based at Blackbushe
3) As mentioned previously, no lights at Cromer.
I suggest you go to the Airfield and ask discretely if anyone would be interested, try White Waltham and Popham, which are only a short drive from Fleet i think?
Godd Luck, and if i were in the south i would see if i could work something out with you :(

ebonybailey
27th Oct 2006, 09:45
Wow were to start!!

Firstly the passport thing is not a joke, I have never done this before and don't know what the rules are, best to be sure I think.
My Handle EbonyBailey is the name of my business, and it is the name of my 8 year old daughter Ebony and 6 year old son Bailey.
Being 8 and 6 they are over any troublesome phase and very well behaved, even if Bailey takes after his dad and never shuts up!!!
Pistongone are you based at blackbushe?
There seems to be an equal amount of people saying its a possibility and not a posibility. It does not have to be cromer it can be the closest with lighting as at the moment they meet us in Norwci so I am sure anything closer would be a bonus for them at that end. I do understand the night thing and obviously now is not a great time of year. I pick the kids up at 6 on a Friday so we could leave blackbushe at any time, but wont pick the kids up till 6.
Well that said if you think you can still help I am very interested in talking to you. My email is [email protected]
Also can the person mentioning the private hire car give more detail, what are you suggesting get someone else to drive and all get in the back and enjoy the trip? maybe an idea but it would have to be a big car and I am not sure it is cheaper

Michael
Blackbushe is my nearest airport Ebonybailey,
interesting handle, is there a story there? AFAIK as long as you pay not more than an equal share it is legal, so half going up and 3/4 on the way back, then vice versa. I know a lot of pilots who would like to build hours and that could be an attractive proposition. Blackbushe to Cromer in a Warrior would probably be 3.5 hours all round and the pilot would have to pay for 1.34 hours yet log 3.5. So our Warrior @£99.00/hr wet means 3.5 hrs for £134.00. Thats like £38/hr in a warrior. The possible problems are:-
1) The kids might be troublesome.
2) You need to be based at Blackbushe
3) As mentioned previously, no lights at Cromer.
I suggest you go to the Airfield and ask discretely if anyone would be interested, try White Waltham and Popham, which are only a short drive from Fleet i think?
Godd Luck, and if i were in the south i would see if i could work something out with you :(

Will Hung
27th Oct 2006, 10:38
Just a thought EB. Wouldn't you be better off staying up that area once every 3 weeks for 2 nights ?

I have 2 kidz myself who live with their Mum, fortunately, in the same town. My biggest fear is that one day she'll up-root to some distant place.

dublinpilot
27th Oct 2006, 10:50
Sorry to see another problem......

But another issue is the seating. 3 Kids, 1 Dad + 1 pilot = 5 seats. Most light aircraft can only seat 4 people. It's not like a car, where you can squash one more in.

There are a few aircraft that will take more than 4, but not many that can, and still get into a 500mtr airfield.

Other issues, that you might not appreciate given that you are a non flyer:

What would the mothers attitude be towards safety? Flying in a single engined aircraft is more risky than road travel, and significantly more risky than on the airlines.

Night flight in a single engined aircraft leaves very few options if the engine fails. Many pilots refuse to fly single engined aircraft at night.

Just some thoughts.

Might make more sense to by an appartment closer to your kids, and spend the weekends there.....at least the cost is going into an appreciating asset.

dp

aluminium persuader
27th Oct 2006, 11:02
From what EB says, if there's a party of 4 to bring back, plus pilot = 5. What about baggage?

Straight away, that rules out most light singles. Now we're talking twins which are a lot more money and much more scarce.

EB - you might want to talk to one of the charter outfits at Blackbushe. They might give you a good rate in return for some marketting, and you'd be almost guaranteed to get there whatever the weather & time of night. You'd almost certainly need to land at Norwich (for runway lights & approach aids). Yoy could consider the other way round & talk to Sterling Aviation at Norwich too, if you're not worried about collecting them yourself.

I'd guess that you'd have to expect something around £400 each way.

I used to drive every week from Farnham to Ipswich, up on a Mon & back on a Thurs or Fri. I sympathise.

Have you looked into commercial operations between Norwich & Southampton?

ebonybailey
27th Oct 2006, 11:12
Id like to stop ot thank everyone for their input so far I really do appreciate it. It would seem the more I dig into this area the less chance I seem to have of making this work, however maybe discussing with some charter companies in blackbushe is an idea. Do you know where I should look for a list of charter airlines based there?

There would be little baggage a couple of small school bags for clothes for the weekend and thats about it.
I have done the staying in norwich bit but its not the same as your in a hotel room ,where at home your more comfortable and the kids can do as they please I am about to leave to do the trip at 1pm and thanks for those who sympathise with the situation, after a 6 year court battle this is the best I can expect unfortunately.
I am hellbent on doing it by air so would be keen to have any contacts that may be able to help in the charter arena
Also I was not aware that you could go from southampton to Norwich, from my understanding the closest south you can go from norwch is Bristol? Any links to that info would be useful too

Michael

pumper_bob
27th Oct 2006, 11:37
Hi
I have 2 children who live with their mother in Cromer near Norwich. At present I travel up the M3, M25,M11,A11,A14 to get to them meaning no less that 4 hours driving and its a killer, I do this every 3 weeks on a friday and do it again on a Sunday.

I am desperate to get a plane their and back can anyone help me. 2 people going up 4 coming back. Needs to be as cheap as poss, someone mentioned £90 an hour to me. May just start with the friday and drive on sunday, it depends, help needed your replies will be great.

Closest airport to me is blackbushe not sure what is near cromer, I am sure there is an airfiled closer than Norwich though.

** I'm not asking for a free ride, I am willing to pay, just depends on cost**

Michael

I assume your confusion over how many kids EB has(he states 2 in this post!) is him saying 2 up 4 back. I would assume he means including the pilot? I Agree single engine, night flight could upset the mum though!