PDA

View Full Version : ICAO definations of airspace types and classes

dublinpilot
24th Oct 2006, 12:52
Anyone know what document I need to see the ICAO definations of different airspace types and classes?

I've had a look through the ones that I've found here (http://dcaa.slv.dk:8000/icaodocs/) but can't seem to find anything.

dp

'Chuffer' Dandridge
24th Oct 2006, 15:17
Have you tried ICAO Annexe 11, Para 2.6.

I think you can find it on www.icao.int (http://www.icao.int)

dublinpilot
24th Oct 2006, 17:05
Thank you CD! Very helpful!

Any idea where I'd find a defination (and conditions) attaching to an ATZ (and other such airspaces) in ICAO?

I'm not looking for country specific rules (which I could find in any AIP) but looking to see if ICAO have any general rules for such?

Thanks
dp

chevvron
25th Oct 2006, 08:22
I think you'll find the concept of an ATZ is unique to UK FIRs.

IO540
25th Oct 2006, 13:41
So many ICAO states have declared exceptions to this and that bit of ICAO, it's hard to know where to start...

The UK operates Class D like the Americans operate Class B, for example.

The following errors occurred when this message was submitted:
This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between posts. Please try again in 14 seconds

chevvron
26th Oct 2006, 07:51
In most ICAO states plus the USA, any airfield with an approved IAP would have class D or E controlled airspace. In the USA it's usually 5nm radius, but can be extended to protect a particular procedure (so I'm informed by an FAA controller anyway) In the UK; you gotta be joking!
In my opinion, in the UK, MATZ could be given class D status, provided that all civil airfields with an IAP are also given class D airspace of similar dimensions to a MATZ. This would cover airfields such as Humberside, Robin Hood, Exeter, Farnborough, Blackpool, Manston etc.

IO540
26th Oct 2006, 08:53
I would agree, so long as they did what the Yanks do: you can enter (Class C and D) with just 2-way radio contact ;) No need to request a clearance.

OpenCirrus619
26th Oct 2006, 09:01
The ICAO airspace definitions are something like:

Class A: All operations must be conducted under Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) or Special visual flight rules (SVFR) and are subject to ATC clearance. All flights are separated from each other by ATC.
Class B: Operations may be conducted under IFR, SVFR, or Visual flight rules (VFR). All aircraft are subject to ATC clearance. All flights are separated from each other by ATC.
Class C: Operations may be conducted under IFR, SVFR, or VFR. All aircraft are subject to ATC clearance. Aircraft operating under IFR and SVFR are separated from each other and from flights operating under VFR. Flights operating under VFR are given traffic information in respect of other VFR flights.
Class D: Operations may be conducted under IFR, SVFR, or VFR. All aircraft are subject to ATC clearance. Aircraft operating under IFR and SVFR are separated from each other, and are given traffic information in respect of VFR flights. Flights operating under VFR are given traffic information in respect of other VFR flights.
Class E: Operations may be conducted under IFR, SVFR, or VFR. Aircraft operating under IFR and SVFR are separated from each other, and are subject to ATC clearance. Flights under VFR are not subject to ATC clearance. As far as is practical, traffic information is given to all flights in respect of VFR flights.
Class F: Operations may be conducted under IFR or VFR. ATC separation will be provided, so far as practical, to aircraft operating under IFR. Traffic Information may be given as far as is practical in respect of other flights.
Class G: Operations may be conducted under IFR or VFR. ATC separation is not provided. Traffic Information may be given as far as is practical in respect of other flights.

Classes A-E are referred to as controlled airspace. Classes F and G are uncontrolled airspace.

The main difference between countries is where they have decided to use the different classes - e.g. in the UK there is no Class C.

OC619

chevvron
27th Oct 2006, 08:06
There is a proposal that the Heathrow/City Zones should both be the same class, the most appropriate being C!!