PDA

View Full Version : Importing an aircraft from Holland

LowNSlow
24th Oct 2006, 11:38
Can anybody give me an idea of the hoops that I'd have to jump through to import a Fuji FA200-160 from Holland?

She has a valid CofA, the engine has 400 hours to run to TBO and is described as VAT free in the ad and is of a type currently flying in the UK.

I am still trying to find a website that lists the UK applicable ADs. I have found the Aussie CAA site and they have an AD that requires the aircraft to be retired after 1,700 aerobatic hours. Does the UK CAA also have this requirement?

LowNSlow
24th Oct 2006, 13:00
CJB I never thought of that! There is an AD just issued to inspect the wing spar flanges for corrosion with a potential cost in excess of £2,500. I would prefer the engineer I know and trust to do this work but would he be able to sign the work off if the aircraft was still on the PH reg?

AC-DC
24th Oct 2006, 19:44
Marshalls of Cambridge told me that they can sign any EASA reg. aircraft.

Fuji Abound
24th Oct 2006, 20:08
PM sent :)

Fuji Abound
24th Oct 2006, 20:10
PM sent :) .

LowNSlow
25th Oct 2006, 07:05
FujiA PM replied to :)

Kiltie
25th Oct 2006, 14:14
LowNSlow beware the reliance that the engine has "400 hrs left to run". When I bought my aircraft it had 400hrs left to TBO after a very recent top overhaul; the top overhaul turned out to be done to a poor standard and the entire engine was heavily corroded due to years of low utilisation. This showed up on the first six-monthly check by my engineers.

From this experience I would advise to have the cash ready expecting engine replacement in the first year to avoid a nasty fright.

Good luck though

tangovictor
25th Oct 2006, 16:42
LowNSlow beware the reliance that the engine has "400 hrs left to run". When I bought my aircraft it had 400hrs left to TBO after a very recent top overhaul; the top overhaul turned out to be done to a poor standard and the entire engine was heavily corroded due to years of low utilisation. This showed up on the first six-monthly check by my engineers.
From this experience I would advise to have the cash ready expecting engine replacement in the first year to avoid a nasty fright.
Good luck though

just out of interest Kiltie, did you do anything about being sold a lie ?
I guess being out of the UK it would be difficult ?
TV

LowNSlow
26th Oct 2006, 10:43
cjboy as you have learned the hard way, there's overhauled to tolerance and there's overhauled properly! Unfortunately there is no way to tell them apart if the logs aren't updated properly unless the engine is stripped.

Kiltie
26th Oct 2006, 15:29
tangovictor -

I just accepted it and moved on. I don't have the time nor am willing to waste the finance on a court battle.

tangovictor
26th Oct 2006, 16:03
tangovictor -
I just accepted it and moved on. I don't have the time nor am willing to waste the finance on a court battle.

what a mature way of accepting what happened, thank you for sharing your misfortune, it will certainly make me, think long & hard, before buying
good luck
TV

LowNSlow
27th Oct 2006, 16:52
Thanks for all the advice gentlemen. I have been made aware of the potential pitfalls of owning a Fuji so have now decided to look for one a bit closer to home.

Kiltie I've had a few moments like that in the 10 or so years I've owned aeroplanes. Unfortunately for such a regulated industry there are cowboys out there.It's only getting to know people and your own personal experience will steer you clear of them. Engine (and airframe) wear is so insidious that it can be virtually impossible to point a finger at who was responsible for not highlighting a problem when things are about to go expensively pear-shaped.