PDA

View Full Version : Change UK PPL to German PPL

GazDeLuxe
18th Oct 2006, 21:49
Anybody experienced in switching (e.g.) a UK PPL to a German (or other JAA) PPL?

It's my wish to start my modular training in Germany and after reading multiple pprune threads I think it's hardly/not possible to train on a non-CAA approved FTO on a UK licence. It seems rather easier to step over to the countries own CAA (LBA for Germany).

I am curious how 'smooth' such procedure would be, anyone done this swap to another JAA-country?

Mark 1
19th Oct 2006, 13:50
A freind recently changed from a German ICAO PPL to a UK issued JAR.
I doubt you could obtain a German national PPL anymore.
Going to a JAR PPL seems the obvious choice. A few hours training, a couple of exams and a flight test IIRC.

AC-DC
19th Oct 2006, 15:28
Sometime ago I looked into it. You have to fill a form with your details explain and give a good reason why you want to do it, then you need to go to your local police station for a stamp. I needed more info and rang to ask...they never picked up the phone.

172driver
19th Oct 2006, 18:40
Although it's about France, there's some general info in this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=247716)

GazDeLuxe
26th Oct 2006, 18:52
Thanks all

I will contact CAA this very Friday and as soon as there is an answer will post it anyway here. In my opinion they have been very cooperative so far. You should try this with our Dutch CAA (IVW) a big burocratic laugh, encroyable.. :hmm:

Really curious if some of you had this experience allready. Keep you posted.

Whopity
27th Oct 2006, 18:28
Technically all you need to commence JAA modular training is an ICAO PPL. As all modular training is dual, there is no occasion when you would need to fly solo so there is no reason why you should need to change.

If you have a UK National PPL you can change it to a JAA PPL by filling in a form http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1104.PDF That is then valid in all JAA States You can convert that to a German JAA PPL by filling in another for from the LBA if you really need to.