PDA

View Full Version : Microlighting on a JAR-PPL(A)

Another St Ivian
17th Oct 2006, 14:55
I've had a good play with the search function but I'm not turning up any good hits as yet, so thought I'd ask here...

I hold a current JAR-PPL(A), valid medical and SEP rating and so on. I'm interested in flying something like an Ikarus, Xair or similar. A three-axis, fixed wing microlight basically.
Now obviously there's going to be some actual hands on conversion training required, but what's required from a licensing aspect? Having contacted a local microlight school it has been suggested I need to do an NPPL(M). Surely this can't be right? I was under the impression it would be more akin to adding a rating or something along those lines.

Thanks in advance!

muffin
17th Oct 2006, 15:18
You can fly any 3 axis microlight on your existing PPL(A) but you must first receive "differences training" from a microlight instructor who must sign it off in your log book. The one who did mine had never flown that type before.

S-Works
17th Oct 2006, 15:30
You can do it no problem. I do permit test flights on microlights on my JAA Licence all the time. My CAA ML licence "expired" years ago. I called the CAA and they said the only thing required was some differences training if needed.

Rod1
17th Oct 2006, 16:24
You will not be able to count the hours towards keeping your licence. One way round this is to fly the VLA versions of the same aircraft.

Rod1

Another St Ivian
17th Oct 2006, 22:15
Yeah, cheers, was aware of that. Thanks to all for the information, confirmed what I had thought.

Hour Builder
17th Oct 2006, 22:21
Quick search of Lasors 2006

F1.1 INTRODUCTION

In order to fly as pilot-in-command (PIC) of an aeroplane in the SEP (Land) class you must have an SEP (Land) Rating endorsed on your licence. The holder of a UK/JAR-FCL licence with valid SEP rating and appropriate JAR-FCL medical certificate may, subject to completion of appropriate differences training, exercise the privileges of the JAR-FCL licence on microlight aeroplanes and SLMG’s in UK airspace only. For microlight privileges this training must be with a microlight instructor, for SLMG privileges this training must be with a Flight Instructor holding a TMG rating or Motor Glider Instructor Rating. However, any experience gained in microlight aeroplanes or SLMG’s cannot be counted towards the flying experience requirements to maintain the SEP rating.

This has already been confirmed from other pruners, but here's written confirmation.

HB

Whopity
18th Oct 2006, 18:34
So what is "appropriate differences training" ? Nobody knows!

Differences training is defined in JAR-FCL and and does not include any reference to microlights; after all JAR-FCL 1.005(5) states that any reference to aeroplanes in the document does not include microlights!

Familiarisation is a JAA requirement when flying different sorts of aeroplanes; it does not need to be conducted by an instructor and does not need a sign off!

Legally you can fly a microlight on your SEP class rating because it is a single engined aeroplane with a piston engine; there being no upper or lower weight limit to that rating. You do not need any sign offs, but good sense says that some training on the aircraft would make sense. This may be more difficult that you think as you can't hire a microlight and you can't pay an instructor to teach you on your own aircraft.

For microlight privileges this training must be with a microlight instructor LASORS or not, its BUNK!

shortstripper
18th Oct 2006, 19:24
However, any experience gained in microlight aeroplanes or SLMG’s cannot be counted towards the flying experience requirements to maintain the SEP rating.

Actually SLMG hours can be counted if you hold a TMG rating .... confusing innit?

SS

Hour Builder
18th Oct 2006, 20:21
So what is "appropriate differences training" ? Nobody knows!
Cmon now, dont get me to spell it out. Every pilot is different, so the regs do not state a minimum amount of training that needs to be carried out. It is left to the discretion of the instructor. You know what it means and I know what it means, stop nit-picking......:=

DFC
18th Oct 2006, 22:11
Differences training is defined in JAR-FCL and and does not include any reference to microlights; after all JAR-FCL 1.005(5) states that any reference to aeroplanes in the document does not include microlights!

That is because if Microlights were included then everyone would need a JAR PPL to fly them and comply with JARs to remain current!

This may be more difficult that you think as you can't hire a microlight and you can't pay an instructor to teach you on your own aircraft.

One can hire a microlight and you can pay a microlight instructor (who may only have an NPPL) to teach you on your own aircraft or on a type approved (factory built) microlight you hire for the purpose eg from a school.

Ask the BMAA or any Microlight instructor and they will tell you what si required.

Microlights are designed specifically to be different. They are low momentum aircraft with often the ability to produce startling climb (and descent) gradients. Lack of differences training would most likely invalidate the (mandatory) insurance.

Regards,

DFC