PDA

View Full Version : Sibson or Conington

pulse1
16th Oct 2006, 14:45
I am hoping to fly to Peterborough for a lunch appointment soon. Can anyone advise which airfield would be best for a) landing and parking (PA28), and b) persuading someone to come and pick me up from Peterborough, and returning me later.

Zulu Alpha
16th Oct 2006, 16:01
Conington are very helpful and friendly Landing was around £10 but check by phone.
Taxi will be around £10-15 into Peterborough. Last time I got one to a hotel on the West side of Peterborough it was £10 but check first as they sometimes have a 'special rate' and I got charged £15 for the return journey.

Not sure how Conington compares to Sibson for distance.

forget
16th Oct 2006, 16:22
To the city centre there's only a mile or two difference between them. Conington is definitely the one I'd go for.

Maxflyer
16th Oct 2006, 18:15
Sibson has a larger on site car park and you will be met by an equally friendly team. Furthermore, whilst Sibson is grass it does have two runways - 06/24 15/33. Distance to the city is about 10 mins and direct. Conington is a nice place too, so you sre spoilt for choice. My personal preference is Sibson, but that is only because, like the programme of the same name - I Love Lucy.

tmmorris
16th Oct 2006, 18:41
Sibson is certainly nice but I've never been to Conington so can't fairly compare (Sibson is 5 minutes from my uncle & aunt's house so handy for visits!). Hard to spot, though - look for the mast nearby.
Tim

markflyer6580
16th Oct 2006, 18:50
I went to connington on my QXC,nice place,freindly and good food.
Its easy to find too,runway is a bit bumpy though!:ok:

Happy Wanderer
16th Oct 2006, 19:56
Mark,

Ditto Connington on the QXC - was my 2nd stop. You fly out of Cov by any chance?

Reception there very friendly - got given a complimentary cuppa in the club.

Agree on the runway, and thought the apron parking was a bit tight too.

HW

pulse1
16th Oct 2006, 21:18
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll probably base the final decision on the preference of whoever offers to pick me up or, at the last moment, on the wind direction if it is critical.

Flight will be on a Sunday so, presumably, Wittering will probably be closed and Conington circuits will be to the north.

VFE
16th Oct 2006, 22:07
Sibson is the better of the two IMHO, however, as stated is more difficult to spot due to grass runway. Re: taxi's - 01733 777888.

VFE.

Cusco
16th Oct 2006, 22:08
No brainer:

Conington.

Safe flying

Cusco.;)

EGBKFLYER
17th Oct 2006, 06:34
I operate from Sibson and would say the following:

As others have stated, we're very friendly and like visitors. The airfield is just inside the Wittering MATZ, but that isn't really an issue - just give them a call (130.2) on the way in. As you say, they're closed at the weekend, though they do occasionally have gliding activity. No need to call - just have a good lookout!

The runways are grass, which I'm presuming you're familiar with. However, 06/24 has obstacles at either end (pylons on 24 app, trees on 06 app) which can appear daunting. That said, the runway is licenced, so if you fly a normal approach to the marked thresholds you will clear the obstacles...

Parachuting takes place in the overhead - the DZ is about 1/2 mile north of the airfield. That just means no overhead joins and that there is no 'dead' side and you will be told if the jump ship is airborne.

Noise abatement issues are similar to Conington - please avoid Elton, Water Newton, Stibbington and Wansford in particular. If in doubt please phone for a brief - we have had trouble with noise recently so things are a bit sensitive.

Finding the airfield is a little difficult on occasion. However, head 340 from the two masts to the southeast and you'll be heading for the airfield. Follow the A1, which runs about along a base leg for 24 and look out for the power lines, which run past the airfield 1/2 mile to the east. The hangars a large and one has a pale green roof, which stands out if you're looking in the right place!

Conington is equally friendly and has the advantage of a long, hard runway. The surface is perfectly adequate for a PA28. They have a bar (we have only sandwiches) but as mentioned previously, parking can be tight (though it's rarely full, so I wouldn't worry).

Whichever you choose, have a good flight.

Zulu Alpha
19th Oct 2006, 18:40
Conington has a freelanding in Nov with Pilot magazine voucher.

Gertrude the Wombat
19th Oct 2006, 19:56
Finding the airfield is a little difficult on occasion.
Er yes. I only found it after flying through the overhead accidentally - though as I was in radio contact the parachute drop plane knew where I was, and I'd sorted myself out before he was ready to drop anyway.

Does Sibson still share a radio frequency with some other field within radio range, which was one of the things distracting me from finding the field?

smarthawke
19th Oct 2006, 22:52
Sibson is on 122.3, the same as Blackbushe.

Aim for the Morborne TV masts to the south, or Ferry Meadows lakes to the east (west side of Peterborough). National grid power lines track NE from the masts, then when they cross the A1 that's the extended centre line for 24 (25 in the old days). From the lakes it's pretty much on long finals.

Real pain to spot from the west, it hides behind the trees!

Para DZ is on the NW corner but remember skydivers take the wind into account so may be a mile or two upwind at altitude. All circuits to the south and east, no overhead join, no deadside.

EGBKFLYER
20th Oct 2006, 07:46
I agree - the interference from Blackbushe can become distracting at times - especially when you hear someone call 'downwind' very clearly and that's just where you are! I wonder if they have the same issue with us?

Anyone know who to contact to investigate a frequency change - I remember getting very occasional interference at Sywell but only on high pressure days and not so clear you though the a/c was in your circuit...

Maxflyer
20th Oct 2006, 08:05
As someone who doen't fly as much as I would like, I was extremely concerned when NSoF moved to Sibson. An airfield that allowed meat bombs! Certainly not my idea of fun I must say. Anyway, so far since 2004 I have not had occasion to chop anyone up with my propeller nor have I failed to find the runway. As someone who prefers an overhead join I was at first unsure how I would cope with the change, but it was no problem and I would recommend Sibson to anyone who wants to meet a friendly team at a nice grass strip.

wombat13
20th Oct 2006, 08:57
I too had a meeting in Peterborough and had to decide on which field to take the club Archer into. Opted for Sibson who were real helpful, especially with a useful briefing on the phone the day before (idiot proof, even for me).

Whilst I landed on 24 (longest grass strip I had ever used), I left on 33 which allowed me to use my STOL technique, as it was "only" 550m.........

The Wombat