PDA

View Full Version : South Africa

tangovictor
8th Oct 2006, 17:54
Im off on holiday next month to Cape Town, I would like to arrange a sightseeing flight whilst there, for wifey and self, any ideas ?

drauk
8th Oct 2006, 20:33
Go to Stellenbosch Flying Club (http://www.stelfly.co.za/). Rent a SEP (tired but functional) and an instructor. It's a 40 minutes drive from Cape Town. From there you can fly past Cape Town International, over the city and its waterfront, out to Robyn Island, round the Cape and back again, very low level over the beach - one of the most scenic and interesting hours you'll likely ever fly. Can't recommend it enough.

egbt
8th Oct 2006, 20:41
You can fly from Cape Town International (FACT), I did last year and will again in Feb. Clubs there have just merged and it's a little confusing but try http://www.capetownflyingclub.co.za/ and work from there. Rent an aircraft + instructor

Trip not to be missed is (as drauk suggests) anti-clockwise around the Cape, you leave FACT, fly over Capetown to the water-front South past Table mountain, Bantry Bay, Hout Bay etc round the Cape of Good Hope, the up the east side of the cape (Simonstown) etc back to FACT. Took c 1 hour in a PA28-151 (excluding Robin Island). Stunning views, even better than Sydney Harbour low level. Go the other way round if sitting in the right hand seat. :ok:

PS Added benefit of flying from FACT, Thunder city are there with Lightnings etc and you get to mix it with 747's etc, I was about eye level with the BA 747 crew who were waiting to take off whilst I landing long on the main runway (to avoid vortex and a long taxi):E

tangovictor
8th Oct 2006, 21:00
thank you both, I will do one or the other, will let you know, can you also recommend a good hotel ? cape town area ?

egbt
8th Oct 2006, 21:06
thank you both, I will do one or the other, will let you know, can you also recommend a good hotel ? cape town area ?

Don't know about hotels - the Holiday Inn at the V&A water front was not good and and we moved out after the first night. For a 1st class guest house at a similar price (from memory) try http://www.51oncampsbay.com at, as the name suggests, Camps Bay to the South of the City. If they don't have room they have an informal arrangement to give referals to 7 or 8 other good establishments.

If you book up there let me know and I'll try and claim an extra bottle of the local red stuff on arrival :)

CapCon
8th Oct 2006, 23:30
You could always try Hunters Lodge Guest House. I stayed there last year and had a great time. The place is just below Table Mountain with great views across the City. The guy who runs it is English but knows a hell of a lot about SA.

Here's the link http://www.hunterslodgehotel.com/

Hope this helps,

CapCon

drauk
9th Oct 2006, 09:24
Hotels: happy to recommend but need to know your budget. Also how long will you be there for? If you're there for a week you could spend a couple of nights in a wine farm (European: vineyard) in Stellenbosch.

Regardless of if you fly from Cape Town or Stellenbosch be sure to visit Thunder City.

Leezyjet
10th Oct 2006, 20:40
Depending on your budget, I can recommend The Cullinan Hotel.

Right by the entrance to the water front - 10 mins walk from the hotel to the shops, it's also about 10 mins walk into the town too.

Couple of good restaurants for you if your interested :-

On The Rocks - This is about 15 mins out of Cape Town in Bloubergstrand (where the classic Cape Town pics are taken from - you know the one with ocean/city/mountain in it). Great food, great prices and fantastic views.

The Grill - This is in Table View (just before Bloubergstrand on the coast road). You go up and pick your own cut of meat and they cook it there and then for you.

If your interested in Sharks, then you have to do the Shark Cage dive in Gansbbai. It's about an hour and a half drive from Cape Town. Thoroughly reccommend it - you don't have to go in the cage if you don't want to, you can stay on the boat and can see almost as much. Comapny I use is sharkcagediving.net. Been twice with them.

I also know a guy/company that can arrange an afternoon shooting in Fishhoek if you fancy that. It's about £40 and you get to shoot clay pigeons, magnums, browning 9mm and some massive rifle thing that you would never get in the UK. PM me if you want details.

:)

777fly
10th Oct 2006, 22:28
TV, depending upon your dates in South Africa, you might like to consider our house for rental. It is on the slopes of the Helderberg mountain range, 15 minutes east of FACT, 10 minutes south of Stellenbosch airfield and the winelands, 25 minutes from downtown Capetown, 15 minutes from beaches, sea and mountain views. 3 beds, a/c , pool etc etc. Safe residential area with good shopping and restaurants. Send private message if interested.

BrianRoth
1st Nov 2006, 15:43
I endorse EGBT's post, having flown earlier this year during my PPL training from the same club at FACT. The views are stunning.

My only quandry would be to fly as a pilot or as a passenger - the latter to give the spectacular scenery my undived attention. With hindsight (and some extra cash) I'd do the trip twice: first as a passenger and then as pilot!

I am a frequent visitor to Cape Town and can recommend at least 3 excellent, privately run, guest houses in the best suburbs.

PM me for details, if you have not already booked up.