PDA

View Full Version : anyone flown with fly-in-spain, jerez?

airbabylon
5th Oct 2006, 19:00
Hi all, was wondering if anyone has flown with fly-in-spain, jerez at all ?

Looking to chase some winter sun flying & was wondering if anyone has used this outfit and recommend them accordingly before I make a booking!

Cheerz

pistongone
5th Oct 2006, 21:06
I nearly flew with them last march, untill they wanted to take a swipe of my card for 2500euro's:= := := I thought that was a bit strong and i allways think rip off when someone wants to charge my card before we have even had a coffee!

mrsizzler
5th Oct 2006, 21:25
Take a look at the thread I started recently on Fly in Spain:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=244327&highlight=Jerez

Regarding the €2500 - I did not have any money other than a small deposit taken in advance, though I was made aware of an insurance excess of €2500.

I queried that, as it sounded a bit much, but apparently there was nothing that could be done to reduce it.

Mariner9
6th Oct 2006, 08:35
Regarding the €2500 - I did not have any money other than a small deposit taken in advance, though I was made aware of an insurance excess of €2500.

I queried that, as it sounded a bit much, but apparently there was nothing that could be done to reduce it.

Blimey :ooh: I presume Mr S (or is it Mrs I?) you had no other money with you, and €2500 stashed away some place else just incase of a mishap (eg forced landing).

pistongone
6th Oct 2006, 11:28
Well i dont remember the chaps name, but he was an english bloke in his fifties, and he said he needed to swipe my card for 2500 euro's !!! No ambiguaty as far as i could see. So i whent to Velez-Malaga, about 20km further East along the coast, and flew there. They are setup just like any club here. Turn up check out and fly, pay when you land!

airbabylon
6th Oct 2006, 17:08
Thanks for the replies everyone

Pistongone, have you got a website address for Velez-Malaga? Sounds like they offer the flexibility i'm after

Cheerz

acuba 290
6th Oct 2006, 17:33
Hi all, was wondering if anyone has flown with fly-in-spain, jerez at all ?

Looking to chase some winter sun flying & was wondering if anyone has used this outfit and recommend them accordingly before I make a booking!

Cheerz

i've done my PPL there. Only good experience;)

pistongone
6th Oct 2006, 19:47
Try this link, http://www.bestaviation.net/flight_school/spain.asp Lots of info there. I just checked it on NavBox and its 19.1nm 067true from Malaga Int.
Its a good couple of hours drive from Jerez though. Or you can go with the orange airline to Malaga! And whilest there check into the Hotel Pyr in Peurto Banus, great hotel and very reasonable, about £80/night.
Good luck.
This link takes you straight to the club http://www.aeroclubmalaga.com/

172driver
7th Oct 2006, 10:51
pistongone, are you sure you were in Velez ;) ? It's about 250 kms (road) east of Jerez.....

In any case, you can also rent from Aerodynamics in Malaga

http://www.aerodynamics-malaga.com/

They have about 18 a/c (C-152, C-172, C-172RG, PA28 Archer and a couple of twins) and are AFAIK actually cheaper to rent from than the club at Velez (where you have to be a member to avail of the cheap rates). Aerodynamics also include landing fees in their rates.

IO540
7th Oct 2006, 11:12
AFAIK, Velez-Malaga is another name for La Axarquia (LEAX), which is about 20 miles E of Malaga (LEMG).

I've been to LEAX; a sleepy little place. I did have a URL to an aeroclub but it is now dead. Google should turn up something...

There was some PPL training at LEAX (2005) in a PA28.

172driver
7th Oct 2006, 12:08
IO540, you are right - still makes it about 250 klicks east of Jerez, though ;)

The link in pistongone's link above is correct and takes you to their website.

pistongone
8th Oct 2006, 01:44
i did say that Velez was 20 miles E.N.E of Malaga, goto peurto banus and use the orange airline etc. etc.:)

LH2
11th Oct 2006, 09:08
I have flown there (F-i-S) and my personal impression appears on the other thread which has been linked above and I trust veryone who has posted here will have read in advance.

As for the €2500, as has rightly been pointed out by another poster, that is a deposit to cover insurance excess costs. At least when I was there, it was not debited from your credit card unless you actually bent something---in my case, it was done by hand so all they kept was the signed authorisation slip which was returned to you at the end of your stay.

Again, in my experience, they were very sensible with the money thing in general. I personally ended up with €3000 minus on my balance, which I settled on my last day there, and nobody seemed in the least bit worried about it, even thought it was in excess of my deposit. I know of another flyer who paid for more hours than were actually flown, and she didn't have a problem getting her money back, cash in hand, when she finished.

On the other hand, it is also perfectly possible that they may want (and can afford) to be choosy with their customers, so if you're not willing or able to trust a couple thousand Euros to someone who is trusting you with their aeroplanes, then maybe they simply don't want your business in the same way you may not want theirs. In that case, there should be no problem in finding another place to rent aircraft from which may be more suitable to you and not request a deposit (in fact, where I am renting at the moment, they don't).

To summarise, what I'm saying is, I believe it is perfectly reasonable for anyone to want to request a deposit to cover possible insurance costs. From my personal experience I also believe F-i-S are a professional outfit which can be trusted with a bit of your money for a few days. Lastly, and as a balancing point, it is my impression that where they really shine is in offering an excellent alternative to the UK and US for obtaining UK JAR PPL---as an aircraft hire facility though, yes, I am sure you may easily find better deals elsewhere.

So there goes my personal view... your mileage may vary, as they say. Hope this helped.