PDA

View Full Version : North Yorks Strip ?

FullyFlapped
4th Oct 2006, 11:26
Hi guys,

Does anyone know of a strip, within about 30-45 mins drive of Harrogate, with at least 600m of decent surface and hangerage for a single ? I'm talking about private strips really, I'm aware of all of the licenced airfields (I think, anyway!).

Thanks for any help,

FF :ok:

pistongone
4th Oct 2006, 14:04
Fully Flapped,
Have you tried Keepers Cottage?
54.03.43N
01.32.52W
Its about 6 miles north of Harrogate, just off the A61 at South Stainley, pass under the old railway bridge, the lines gone now!,and ask at the house on the left called Cayton Hall. But dont tell them who sent you!:= := Dont think they have any hangars though:( Have you considred Rufforth? I know its a proper airfield, but its really easy going and well within your travel time limmits.

skua
4th Oct 2006, 20:12
how long are the r/ways, and how rough?

Agree Rufforth is a useful and friendly place.

Skua

PS used to be a field imm. South of Harewood Ave, where the agent for the Harewood Estate kept a Rallye, but I think that is now ancient history.

Them thar hills
4th Oct 2006, 21:05
FF
Keepers Cottage is only a helipad.
Rufforth may have space.
Harewood strip has gone over to farming activities, and never was a strip as such. Just a good field.
Bagby is always a possibility. Fuel, lights, and possibly hangarage, and ......
Marston Moor would have been a winner but the anti-plummetting brigade knobbled it just as it was getting established.
No other strips exist around that neck of the woods.
Sherburn ?? Hardly what you'd call a strip though.
What sort of aircraft will you be using ??
Regards
TTH

pistongone
4th Oct 2006, 22:26
FF
using a combination of the hangar waypoints and local.live i discovered what appears to be an active strip on the old Tockwith site, appx 2 miles S.E of the A1-A59 Jnc. You can clearly see the runway numbers on the east west runway that appears to have been kept serviceable. I am going over to Barton from Full Sutton on Saturday so i will pop over and have a Recce!
If it is active then it would be a good one for Harrogate i think!
Check this link http://local.live.com/ just enter tockwith and look to the west of the village.

Them thar hills
5th Oct 2006, 07:19
PG
Yes the east west has been used, largely by gliders doing outlandings.
The airfield was re-activated in the late 80's/early 90's.
It was made licenseable, and had a two-deck portakabin, and they even got a frequency. Idea was to do training there by Leeds aircraft. The east-west was resurfaced but not full width.
However the planners wouldn't play ball and the whole idea was shelved.
A kart track now occupies the intersection, and model flyers use the east-west on an occasional low-key basis.
The place has always been noise-sensitive, and the local estate has grown and now comes to the north-east airfield boundary.
A great shame.
Regards
TTH

pistongone
5th Oct 2006, 07:55
Thanks for that TTH.
I will still go over at 2ooo' just to have a looksee:) The old NIMBY's do my brain in:ugh: :ugh: Well FF, looks like Rufforth, unless you know a nice farmer who has a 500 meter set aside you can utilise:) If only! On a simmilar vein, a chap at the office was into ballooning, and i discovered they have an agreement with the Farmers Union that allows them to land in their fields and pay a landing fee of £2.50 per pax! Wouldnt it be nice if we could come to a similar arrangement?

trevs99uk
5th Oct 2006, 08:56
there is a strip just east of garforth.

andrewlt
5th Oct 2006, 11:29
There is still a strip at Harewood operated by the resident agent for his Rheims Rocket 172, I also operate a strip just to the SE of the town of Boroughbridge at the intersection of the Dishforth and Linton Matz. Both strips are about 500 metres. They are strictly PPR and are only suitable for experienced strip flyers in STOL machines. 500 metres may sound like enough but both strips have very difficult approaches (making the LDA significantly less than 500 metres) and are extremely rough with adjacent noise sensitive areas. Neither have hangarage.

FullyFlapped
6th Oct 2006, 08:57
Thanks for your replies, guys. All very interesting.

Cheers,

FF :ok:

Saab Dastard
6th Oct 2006, 09:29
North Yorks Strip

And I thought you were going to tell us about a Bradford lass!

:p

SD

Them thar hills
6th Oct 2006, 21:39
SD
At risk of being boring, Bradford is in WEST Yorkshire!
(Curry capital of the North)
:)