PDA

View Full Version : Muslim accosts injured Para in hospital

BEagle
2nd Oct 2006, 08:24
From today's Daily Telegraph:

Muslim accosts injured Para in hospital

By Thomas Harding, Defence Correspondent
(Filed: 02/10/2006)

A paratrooper wounded in Afghanistan was threatened by a Muslim visitor to the British hospital where he is recovering.

Seriously wounded soldiers have complained that they are worried about their safety after being left on wards that are open to the public at Selly Oak Hospital, Birmingham.

On one occasion a member of the Parachute Regiment, still dressed in his combat uniform after being evacuated from Afghanistan, was accosted by a Muslim over the British involvement in the country.

"You have been killing my Muslim brothers in Afghanistan," the man said during a tirade.

Because the soldier was badly injured and could not defend himself, he was very worried for his safety, sources told The Daily Telegraph.

A relative of the Para said the man had twice walked on to the ward where two other soldiers and four civilians were being treated without once being challenged by staff.

"It's not the best way to treat our returning men," he said. "They are nervous that these guys might attack them and, despite being paratroopers, they cannot defend themselves because of their injuries."

The Ministry of Defence, which said that it had no record of threatening incidents, indicated that there was a military security presence at the hospital and it co-operated closely with local police.

A MoD spokesman said there was "appropriate security" at Selly Oak for the 11 servicemen currently being treated.

But Liam Fox, the shadow defence secretary, called the treatment of wounded troops "an absolute disgrace".

"They should be in completely separate wings even if this means shutting down entire NHS wards. It is a betrayal of our troops having them treated in mixed and open wards. Those who have been injured on operations must be with those who understand their predicament in a secure environment.

"The Defence Secretary should be having urgent talks with the Health Secretary to do this otherwise this Government's commitment to our Armed Forces is nothing but talk."

There is also resentment among serving troops unhappy about being treated in a NHS hospital that they believe is unsuitable for military patients.
Soldiers on operations say they would rather receive a more serious injury and go to the top American military hospital in Ramstein, Germany, than end up in a NHS hospital.

They now half jokingly refer to getting "a Boche rather than a Blighty" in reference to the wounds that would send them home. Ramstein has an outstanding unit for brain surgery, and neurological intensive care beds in Britain are in short supply. "The blokes see it that if you are unlucky you get wounded and go to the UK at the mercy of the NHS, but if you get a head wound you get sent to Ramstein in Germany where the US has an outstanding medical facility," said an officer serving in Afghanistan.

"It also does not do morale much good knowing that within 18 hours of being wounded you could wake up in a NHS hospital with a mental health patient on one side and an incontinent geriatric on the other."

The latest figures show that 86 troops have been injured in Afghanistan during the past six months of fighting. More than 600 soldiers have been flown back to Britain after being injured on operations abroad since 2003 with most treated at Selly Oak, which is also the headquarters of the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine.

In the past decade the seven military hospitals in Britain, Germany and Cyprus have been closed. The remaining military hospital at Haslar, Portsmouth, is expected to be sold to developers next year.

mutleyfour
2nd Oct 2006, 08:40
That is appalling, I had a gut feeling that this sort of thing would happen. I am all for a multi cultural society with freedom of speech but please.

The last time I returned from a warm and arrid place I was a little uncomfortable stopping in a garage to get a coffee in my desert combats, but to have that happen when you are completely defenceless is an utter disgrace.

Once again the cutbacks of yesterday have a marked effect on our servicemen and women today.

BellEndBob
2nd Oct 2006, 08:41
I'm going to stick my neck out here and say this seems to be the product of a slow news day. Some Muslim bloke sounds off at a Para, so what. Are we really saying that our troops should either be kept in foreign hospitals or put in wards here that are exclusive and guarded by armed police? That is way more worrying than some gob****e sounding off.
Military hospitals should not have been closed but they have. The only other option is to use NHS hospitals and as to being put in a bed next to an old person or whatever, the last time I was in Wroughton I was on a mixed ward and the bloke next to me used to scream in his sleep.
I do believe however, that our seriously injured service personnel should be bumped to the top of the list for all treatment (I suspect they are already).

As for verbal abuse, well, if we are fighting for democracy and free speech overseas, best we practice it here. Personally, I think any Muslim with attitude would be well advised to keep away from an injured Para, a bit like kicking a rabid dog in the nuts.

charliegolf
2nd Oct 2006, 08:49
If Walter Wolfgang, the old git who shouted at Tone last year was grabbed under terror laws, then this 'brother' should have been hoiked off for a serious kicking, er fall down the stairs to the cell, M'lud.

Then, ANY amount of public money should be used to fit him up for: threatening behaviour; trespass; or being a berk.

And I'm a very, very easy-going bloke.

CG

nigegilb
2nd Oct 2006, 08:52
It was amusing to read Liam Fox's comments getting all steamed up about the derisory facilities for the treatment of the wounded. It was John Major's Govt that brought in the swingeing cuts to military hospitals. I would rather hear what a future Tory administration intends to do about the mess-aside from sticking windmills on top of NHS hospitals. Maybe we should drag out the former Tory Ministers and ask them to account for their actions.

Jackonicko
2nd Oct 2006, 09:02
The old military hospital at Halton is still sitting idle and empty. It may be impossible to return to the full network of military hospitals, but it should not be impossible to fairly rapidly return one to use.

When not required for op casualties, it could and would accomodate dependants and civilians, as it always used to. (My dear old mum passed away in Halton, and while advanced cancer is never going to be a bowl of cherries, the PMRAFNS staff and RAF medics certainly provided the best possible environment, care and treatment for her, giving her useful and happy extra months, and then treating her with kindness and respect, allowing her to fight and die with dignity).

Monty77
2nd Oct 2006, 09:06
I googled miltary hospital closures and found an article in the BMJ back in 1994. It raised the concern that should the closures go ahead, this would erode the military medical training base to the point where you couldn't simply re-open a full hospital even if you wanted to.

PompeySailor
2nd Oct 2006, 09:07
The old military hospital at Halton is still sitting idle and empty. It may be impossible to return to the full network of military hospitals, but it should not be impossible to fairly rapidly return one to use.

When not required for op casualties, it could and would accomodate dependants and civilians, as it always used to. (My dear old mum passed away in Halton, and while advanced cancer is never going to be a bowl of cherries, the PMRAFNS staff and RAF medics certainly provided the best possible environment, care and treatment for her, giving her useful and happy extra months, and then treating her with kindness and respect, allowing her to fight and die with dignity).

Haslar is about to be closed, and no doubt sold off as some ongoing housing deal. It has an MRI scanner, operating theatres and wards, a physio department - it is a fully functioning hospital which has been destroyed by successive governments. It has a hyperbaric chamber, it can be reached by land, air and sea. It was a training hospital.

The RN doesn't want it to close, nor, as far as I am aware, do the other Services. Why can't the ******** in central Government see this and actually do what's right for a change?

nigegilb
2nd Oct 2006, 09:11
Jacko I was treated at Wroughton and have similar memories to yourself. Wroughton would take overspill from the Swindon NHS hospitals. It had a state of art MRI scanner, which was why I was there. Of course this hospital was closed by John Major, for jam tomorrow, even though it was located between the 2 military air heads in the UK. The Tories have been ominously silent on the Defence Budget, their turn may be coming once more. Liam Fox should not be allowed own goals whilst his policy lite leader ignores the plight of troops taking appalling injuries on the killing fields of Afghan. There has been fierce fighting in recent days, it is not reported because journos cannot get in there. This war continues and so the casualties will mount.

Zoom
2nd Oct 2006, 09:38
Some Muslim bloke sounds off at a Para, so what.

As for verbal abuse, well, if we are fighting for democracy and free speech overseas, best we practice it here.

And what if it had been 2 Muslim blokes, or 4, or 8? As you know nowadays, 'sounding off' very quickly becomes assault.

cynicalint
2nd Oct 2006, 09:40
Had it been a westerner sounding off about muslims causing death by bombing tube trains the police would have been quick enough to arrest them!

SaddamsLoveChild
2nd Oct 2006, 09:58
Slow news day or not, this should not have been allowed to happen; where was the security and is it being reviewed? I have been involved with the repatriation of injured servicemen who have managed to avoid the ultimate sacrifice by the skin of their teeth and should be given the security that is needed to recover with dignity. I was accosted by a man and woman at a service station whilst RTB from BZN whilst in dessies, and told that what I had been doing was wrong. All I could do was agree in the case of Iraq and pay for my goods and walk. The headlines 'Officer batters living cr@p out of couple out for country drive' was starting to illuminate. People like these are in the minority though, and most seem to support us when they see us.

No Tax for OOA's, bringing back service hospitals.......short term vote winning sound bites Mr Cameron, put your money where your mouth is because I truly believe if you get in next time, you will be the man who reaps what Labour has sown - and it isnt good. :=

Roadster280
2nd Oct 2006, 10:21
I received EXCELLENT care from Prinecss Alexandra's Hospital, RAF Wroughton, and also had my broken leg repaired nicely at RAF(H) Wegberg. I heard (not sure how true) that Wroughton was offered gratis to the local NHS people on closure, but was turned down, as it would have derailed plans for the new Great Western hospital. Absolutetely disgraceful that the military hospitals should close in the first place, then to compound it, they are left to rot.

As for this individual in Selly Oak, I wish injured bloke's mates had taken him round the back of the incinerator and beaten the living **** out of him.

Bu what would I know? I'm just a retired old pongo that's hacked off with the whole shooting match. God speed to those still serving this "government".

Tombstone
2nd Oct 2006, 10:37
I'm going to stick my neck out here and say this seems to be the product of a slow news day. Some Muslim bloke sounds off at a Para, so what. Are we really saying that our troops should either be kept in foreign hospitals or put in wards here that are exclusive and guarded by armed police? That is way more worrying than some gob****e sounding off.

Actually, if you're putting injured soldiers into a hospital, in an area that is home to many many muslims of which a small minority have already blown themselves up then yes, we should be bloody well guarding them.

I'm not labelling Birmingham as a bad place, its not however, it is any area of concern in relation to terrorism, fact.

You can't walk into a maternity ward without passing through a locked door in most hospitals so, it would not take much to do something similar to the wards where our troops are recovering from their injuries.

It's hardly an invasion of public rights & I'm sure any visiting relatives would welcome the security of their loved ones.

BellEndBob
2nd Oct 2006, 10:48
Tombstone.

My point is that if you have to protect our servicemen from the society they are supposed to be fighting for, then something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

The simple fact is we are fighting in 2 unpopular wars where people on the street feel we are far worse off now than when this began. (extra security, petrol prices etc). I have had far more respect from the locals in Basrah and the Stan than I have had from our beloved public back here!

With that in mind, our politico elite are not going to open/retain any military hospitals. It does not grab headlines or win votes.

Makes you proud to serve doesn't it?

Tombstone
2nd Oct 2006, 11:11
We are second class citizens mate, shocking.

Can you imagine how the public would react to the news of one of our Paras being killed in a UK hospital by a muslim, perhaps using a suicide attack?

Not to mention the effect that would have on the morale of every serviceman.

PompeySailor
2nd Oct 2006, 11:19
We are second class citizens mate, shocking.

Can you imagine how the public would react to the news of one of our Paras being killed in a UK hospital by a muslim, perhaps using a suicide attack?

Not to mention the effect that would have on the morale of every serviceman.

Can you imagine the outcry if a Para gave a Muslim in a hospital bed a pasting for being part of the brotherhood that killed his mates in 'stan? Would keep the BBC in docu-dramas for years to come.

BEagle
2nd Oct 2006, 11:32
Let's be careful not to go down the route of anything which the PC-nazis might construe as racism.....

The true scandal is the appallingly run down state of the UK's Armed Forces - particularly the so-called health care.

I was advised by an RAF doctor (who saw this coming) to sign on with BUPA rather than risk the wreckage of the once proud RAF medical service.

Tombstone
2nd Oct 2006, 11:36
Just been reading the Telegraph in which there is an article on munitions used throughout the Paras tour of duty:

443,000 rounds.
3,500 mortar rounds.
400 hand grenades thrown.

Not to mention the tonnage dropped by the Bona mates & A10s.

I can only imagine how much John Reid regrets stating that "British troops might leave Afghanistan in 3 years time without firing a shot."

Dr Reid, you really are a :mad: kn*bber who represents his party in an uncannily accurate manner. :ugh:

Professor Plum
2nd Oct 2006, 11:53
What would have happened if the Para had defended himself, and swung for the Muslim bloke?

No doubt the Para would have been classed as the gulty person, in a "racially motivated" attack.

If that muslim doesnt like what the government are doing in Aghanistan, then he should poke off and find another country to live in.

Or are there no other countries where he can live IN SAFETY (thanks to the forces) that'll let him in?

Out Of Trim
2nd Oct 2006, 13:21
I am becoming angrier and angrier at this inept governments ability to handle any situation that they allow our brave military to fall into.

Be it

- lack of men for any task.

- lack of support.

- lack of equipment.

- lack of money.

- lack of respect!

- and now, when trying to recover from wounds received whilst fighting for us, they have to put up with any Tom, Dick or Mad mullah or terrorist! freedom to enter their Hospital ward and berate them for fighting their so-called brothers.

Enough is enough! Where is the security to prevent this?

Damn, I'm mad now!

I award the government ministers involved one of these:-

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/48/A_single_white_feather_closeup.jpg/200px-A_single_white_feather_closeup.jpg

For their lack of courage and moral fortitude and their damn lack of respect.

Perhaps we should E-mail them with white feathers to show our true feelings about this. I really am glad to be out now!

Wiley
2nd Oct 2006, 13:27
Back on page 1 BellEbdBob said:My point is that if you have to protect our servicemen from the society they are supposed to be fighting for, then something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.(My bold face italics)

I think there would be many here who would agree in the strongest possible terms with those seniments, Bob.

Look on the bright side - at least the guy accused the Para of killing his Muslim brothers. When I wore the not so light blue while another unpopular war was taking place some 30+ years ago, we were frequently called baby killers whenever we appeared in public at home (in Australia). And you didn't need to be in uniform - in those days, a short back and sides haircut was as good as announcing yourself to be a serviceman.

I have to agree with another poster's comment. If the fellow hurling the abuse has been white Anglo Saxon Protestant directing his comments at a fellow Briton who happened to be Muslim, I can't help but feel that handcuff weilding plods would have paid him a visit poste haste and he'd almost certainly be now enjoying free accomodation in one of Her Majesty's less salubrious hostels.

The Swinging Monkey
2nd Oct 2006, 13:30
Out of trim,

I am so much with you on this point, I'm thoroughly disgusted and ashamed to be British these days.
If anyone has the address of this Para, please pm me because I'de like to send the guy a get well card, and show him that the good amongst us are grateful and proud of him.

As for the civil servant on wods of ££££ - yeh, I can believe that, pretty much sums up what the government think of the military when compared to the pen-pushing blunties of the civil service - bastards!

I need a stiff drink
Thanks to the paras and every other British servicemen out there. I'm pleased I'm not with you all anymore, but I sure do feel for you all, every day!
TSM

Blacksheep
2nd Oct 2006, 14:19
1. We hear from the report that this was a "tirade" directed at the soldier. If the soldier had reason to believe that he was under threat of physical attack, such a tirade would satisfy the definition of "common assault." It isn't necessary for an actual physical attack to take place, simply that the victim had a justifiable fear that an attack would take place.

2. Religious 'aggravation' is a crime:The Anti-Terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001 amends the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 to include religious aggravation within the definition of Section 28 CDA. Casework Bulletin 35 of 2001 provides further guidance. All references in this chapter to racial aggravation should therefore be read to include religious aggravation.So, the incident appears to satisfy this definition and at least one, if not two crimes seem on the face of it, to have been committed.

The question now is, "What are the police doing about this incident?" Has the perpetrator been 'interviewed'? Charged? If not, why not? Too busy handing out speeding tickets? Or too hot to handle?

Though I've been against our involvement in Iraq from the very start, Afghanistan is a different matter. The drug dealing and deviationist Islamic teachings are where the real threat to the west always came from. When I read about this assault on one of our soldiers it made me so bloody angry I could hardly speak.

xraf
2nd Oct 2006, 14:39
:ugh: :ugh: Utterly speechless.

There is no point anymore and anything we might say will be 'spun' to make it our problem/fault/intolerance etc. :mad: 'em.

Brain Potter
2nd Oct 2006, 20:05
A campaign to fight for the post-combat medical care that servicemen and women deserve would be one of the most worthy things that could be done by PPrune and ARRSE members.

Perhaps someone might like to raise the issue through the " Be the Editor" feature on the Victoria Derbyshire programme on Radio 5 Live.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/programmes/morning.shtml

I think in the post-Loden email climate this would be best done by one of our former serving members.

Perhaps the editorial staff could be directed towards this forum and ARRSE. I see that they are talking about this story over there but I haven't read through it yet.

The care that our people are (not) receiving is the biggest scandal of the whole chapter.

PompeySailor
2nd Oct 2006, 20:16
A campaign to fight for the post-combat medical care that servicemen and women deserve would be one of the most worthy things that could be done by PPrune and ARRSE members.

Perhaps someone might like to raise the issue through the " Be the Editor" feature on the Victoria Derbyshire programme on Radio 5 Live.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/programmes/morning.shtml

I think in the post-Loden email climate this would be best done by one of our former serving members.

Perhaps the editorial staff could be directed towards this forum and ARRSE. I see that they are talking about this story over there but I haven't read through it yet.

The care that our people are (not) receiving is the biggest scandal of the whole chapter.

The big scandal, as I posted on ARRSE, is that a knife wielding guy manages to partially climb the security fence in Downing Street, which is guarded by multiple Met Coppers, Armed Police, vehicle denial modifications, plus the internal security, and all hell breaks loose with inquiries and an increase in security, the guy is arrested, charged with affray, and will disappear into the special psychiatric wards reserved for those who dare to challenge Comrade Cherie and her lap dog.

A wounded Para, on a ward in a hospital situated in the largest Muslim concentration in the UK, gets verbally assaulted (and yes, a race hate crime was committed), and it makes precisely zero column inches on the BBC,and there is no outcry from Neu Liebour for an increase in security or a review.

Anybody else spot the difference?

mutleyfour
2nd Oct 2006, 20:42
Anybody else spot the difference?

I did, ones a hero the other a zero, you make your mind up which!

Jimlad1
2nd Oct 2006, 20:53
The latest issue of GQ has a long article on the treatment of wounded and discharged service personnel who have served in Iraq. Worth getting your hands on.

Say again s l o w l y
2nd Oct 2006, 22:16
Jimlad,
I'd bow out of this one if I were you. One of the key points in a dust up is knowing when to leg it. A lesson you don't seem to have ever learnt.

Aside from that. I have heard that there is an awful lot of stink being caused by service men going into NHS wards. This is happening at a very high up level and the practice may soon be coming to an end. If so, it will be a triumph for common sense, but unless the media get's stuck in I won't be holding my breath......

No chance of the military hospitals opening up again unfortunately.

SASless
2nd Oct 2006, 22:40
US Military Pay....for comparison.

The extra pay entitlement can be found on other pages at this site.

Perhaps the Retired Military folks, members of Veteran groups should stand up and form volunteer groups to assist the wounded and their families. That is a very strong part of the support network we provide our servicemen and women.

Para's have a strong bond as do the Marines....our Muslim friend might be a bit less likely to repeat his rude act if the proper baby sitter was standing by that Para's bedside.

The US Marine Corps has a Liasion Team that provides full support to the wounded and their families at Bethesda Naval Hospital. They book airline flights, meet the families at the airport, see them to the booked hotel, carry the baggage to the assigned rooms, transport them to the hospital, and just plain go the extra mile to help out. These guys are primarily Reservists with some Active Duty staff.

All it takes guys is for someone to give a ****....and DO Something! Perhaps one less pint in the mess each night and a donation to a group that is doing something for the wounded and their families is in order. Do you have a group setup at your base/station dedicated to looking after returned casualties in your area? If not.....why not? Get the Wive's Club off the Gin and out helping other Military wives whose husbands are away....go around and fix a leaky tap yourself....remind them they are not forgotten.

If these guys were laying in the dirt wounded....you wouldn't walk on by without lending a hand would you....what is different now. They need you every bit as much now as during the gunfight, if not more, because they are alone now fighting a really tough fight.

I had some guys open milk cartons for me and give them to me when neither of my hands were up to it ....a small gesture but very much appreciated. If you get involved you will get far more out of it than what you put into it....I promise.

It could be your turn one day.

John Blakeley
3rd Oct 2006, 02:47
Did a boat trip round Hampton Roads to see Norfolk Naval Base last week - apart from some fairly obvious differences in systems and ship numbers it was impressive to have the commentator point out, and then sing the praises of, the massive VA hospital, and the medical treatment being provided to US wounded.

Flew from Chicago to Madison the next day courtesy of American Eagle - last person to board was an archetypal USMC officer in desert uniform. Flight attendant starts her usual introduction by pointing out how proud the airline is to have a USMC officer on board and the whole cabin clapped and cheered - what a difference of approach.

JB

highcirrus
3rd Oct 2006, 02:58
Daily Telegraph, 3 October 2006

Our wounded soldiers deserve better treatment

Tony Blair is the most bellicose Prime Minister in British history, punctuating his premiership with military intervention in distant lands.

He has sent troops into combat on six occasions – air strikes against Iraq in 1998 and against Kosovo in 1999, the "invasion" of Sierra Leone in 2000, of Afghanistan in 2001, of Iraq in 2003, and now the second deployment in Afghanistan to quell the Taliban insurgency.

Mr Blair adumbrated the philosophy behind this serial interventionism in his 1999 speech in Chicago in which he warned that appeasement does not work and that the most pressing foreign policy problem facing the West was "to identify the circumstances in which we should get actively involved in other people's conflicts".

The corollary to Mr Blair's in many ways laudable desire to right the world's wrongs is unprecedented pressure on the UK's Armed Forces. With the exception of the last century's two world wars, it is arguable that they have never in modern times been so stretched and so hard-worked over such a protracted period as under this New Labour Government and its Chicago doctrine. In these circumstances, our Servicemen and women have a right to expect only the very best treatment before, during and after combat.

If only. To the dreadful catalogue of equipment shortages and failures that have all too frequently characterised these armed interventions must now be added the unforgivable treatment meted out to wounded soldiers.

The grotesque spectacle – reported in this newspaper yesterday – of a wounded paratrooper being berated in an NHS ward by an angry Muslim who accused him of "killing my Muslim brothers in Afghanistan" simply beggars belief. Military casualties are only being treated in NHS hospitals at all because successive governments, in a crass display of short-term expediency, sold off military hospitals to property developers to help raise cash.

The result? British soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq joke that they would prefer to take a more serious combat injury because that would mean them being sent to the US military hospital in Ramstein in Germany – not thrown on the mercies of a general NHS ward and taking their chances with the possibility of being harangued (or worse) by an aggrieved Muslim wandering in off the street.

Mr Blair's assertive foreign policy in a world made dangerous by Islamic terrorism can be justified.

What cannot be justified is the casual neglect with which the brave men and women who have helped him deliver that policy are being dealt with. Their courage, skill and professionalism are rightly lauded around the world and this Government owes them an enormous debt of gratitude. It's time it started to repay that debt by ensuring wounded soldiers receive the treatment they so richly deserve.

Kitbag
3rd Oct 2006, 06:50
Seems to me that this is an area in which a Federation could raise the issue with the media, and hopefully improve the publics awareness of the realities of life in the services.

xraf
3rd Oct 2006, 08:11
Even if its not much!

On their website today, the Telegraph is running a chance to post your thoughts about how military personnel are treated. The link is: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=FJWM1MNMXRE33QFIQMGSFFWAVCBQWIV0?view= BLOGDETAIL&grid=P30&blog=yourview&xml=/news/2006/10/03/ublview03.xml

It wouldnt hurt for dozens (maybe hundreds) of us put up a one liner or even more.

BTW I'm not a journo. i was just feeling pi$$ed off at not having anything to do so I went searching.

Regards

XRAF:ok:

mutleyfour
3rd Oct 2006, 08:19
I agree with Pompey Sailor...Now lets see Jimlad walk the plank

airborne_artist
3rd Oct 2006, 08:31
Going back 20+ years - imagine the fuss if injured Paras had been put on civilian wards - and an Irish Nationalist had been caught "berating" a Para about Bloody Sunday.

Something Would Have Been Done.

teeteringhead
3rd Oct 2006, 09:17
Something Would Have Been Done. .. aah yes

20 years ago = the Blessed Margaret :ok:

Now = the Cursed Bliar :mad:

QED!

Back to thread -military hospitals were wonderful. Had an overseas misfortune many years ago (here goes the incognito).

Patched up in the local MASH/FST in theatre.

Then to BMH in Cyprus for slightly more comprehensive care.

Back to UK - overnighted in Wroughton (so handy for Brize), then off to Halton for plastics and orthopaedic stuff .....

Good as new eventually, except a slight limp when anyone mentioned going on a parade!;)

And then there were the Sisters' Messes ....... :E

Mr Blake
3rd Oct 2006, 09:42
[quote=BellEndBob;2883815]I'm going to stick my neck out here and say this seems to be the product of a slow news day. :ugh:

Well looks like this slow news day is continuing to attract interest from the hacks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/10/03/nsoldier03.xml

The closure of dedicated military hospitals must have seemed an "easy win" for the numerous budgeteers, but who would have predicted the steady flow of casualties requiring specialist health care? Once again there has been a serious lack of joined up forward thinking. The Services have always looked after their own, and leaving them to the mercy of the NHS was always asking for trouble.:eek:

stiknruda
3rd Oct 2006, 10:26
RAF Nocton Hall, an RAF Wg Cdr surgeon (Spud Murphy) and the best part of a year at the excellent tri-service rehab establishment at Headley Court means that I CAN walk, albeit with a slight limp. Eternally grateful.

Cannot believe the erosion of the level of care that has occured since - it borders on criminally negligent.

BEagle continually reminds us that he would join the Air Force that he joined but he wouldn't join today's air-farce. I totally agree with him.

gravity victim
3rd Oct 2006, 10:27
The scandal of the way injured soldiers are being treated on their return is finally being picked up by the press, who in turn are getting excellent information from sites such as ARRSE and this one- the pithy quotes thus gleaned from people in the thick of it are being put to good use. The more the better.

It's a pity that the Tories are holding back somewhat on this scandal, presumably as they are aware that there was a round of military hospital closures on their watch. Such are political sensitivities.

To drive this issue to the front of public awareness I hope that someone will pick up the idea of getting as many injured sodiers as possible to march as a group past the Cenotaph next month on Remembrance Day. The sight of young men, bandaged, on crutches, in wheelchairs, the blind being led, would have enormous impact on the public - driving home the real cost of Blair's foreign policy.

And if the powers that be don't allow this (as I suspect, )that in itself will be a major story.

jstars2
3rd Oct 2006, 10:42
Telegraph 03.10.06

Wounded soldiers 'get appalling health care'

By Thomas Harding, Defence Correspondent, Nick Britten and Catriona Davies

Senior Army officers and Service charities united last night in condemning the treatment of wounded troops as "an absolute disgrace".

Field Marshal Lord Bramall, a former chief of the defence staff, said the outpatient service for soldiers was "appalling". Charity chiefs believe there is a "lost battalion" of 500 troops who have been ignored or forgotten after leaving hospital.

The row follows The Daily Telegraph's report of security worries at Selly Oak Hospital, Birmingham, where a paratrooper was threatened by a man who accused him of "killing my Muslim brothers in Afghanistan".

Field Marshal Bramall, who commanded the Army during the Falklands conflict, said that military medical care had been "cobbled together" and was clearly not working.

He said: "The Ministry of Defence always said it would put things right with a centre of excellence for military care in Birmingham which was going to be a tremendous place. But it never took off because no funds were put into it. The situation is now very serious and needs to be addressed immediately."

Full report here (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/10/03/nsoldier03.xml)

Footless Halls
3rd Oct 2006, 18:56
Hello all service people,
I'm an ordinary middle aged English bloke. I'm a private pilot which why I'm reading pprune. I know this is the Military bit and I appreciate you let me read it. I resist the temptation to post where possible because it's not my patch. I'm a civvy with no connection to the forces other than having friends and relatives who serve or have served. But on this thread I do have a connection because I know that it's only you guys and gals who stand between my family and me and some very nasty people.
I travel to the States quite a lot on business and have some good friends who are Americans. I know how they value their service people, and us. Virtually every American I meet - just two weeks ago an American couple on vacation in Dublin who I fell into conversation with in a bar - go out of their way to thank the British for their support for the US.
I was UTTERLY APPALLED to read this story. The attitude of a huge number of British, white and 'Christian' as well as non-white and 'Moslem', towards the very brave people of our armed forces is horrifying.
Had I been at that hospital and seen or heard that, I would have given that 'Moslem' individual a taliking to such as he has never had before. Presumably he is a subject of Her Majesty the Queen? I would have stood in that ward with those brave wounded men to protect them from scum like that UNTIL THE END OF TIME if necessary. There are not many people in this country who would abuse wounded servicemen, but the horrifying thing is that there are many people who sit on the fence and would not have the moral fibre to stand up for the wounded men and to execrate the person who abused them.
Of course the wars that you are fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan have been mishandled by our politicians, both in the UK and the US, and that has tainted the honour of our country in prosecuting them. (It's wrecked the honour of the politicians, but that doesn't matter.) But it does NOT taint the honour of our servicemen and women. We should all stand behind you and support you where we can.
Sorry, this is a bit of a rant, but I just wanted anyone who is or might be in this situation to know that there is at least one English civvy who values your sacrifice and would support you all as much as I can. I'm sure there are more but somehow our voice doesn't get heard enough.

LunchMonitor
3rd Oct 2006, 21:58
Thanks FH

Brain Potter
3rd Oct 2006, 22:03
Please can we stop talking about Civil Servants, deployable or not, on a thread about a scandalous indignity suffered by a wounded soldier.

Done Brian. CS posts moved to their own thread. http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=246637

Duckandcover
3rd Oct 2006, 22:41
I'm surprised the Daily Telegraph printed this story...it's more the style of the Daily Hate. Whilst it's not on that any injured service personnel should have to put up with this, the story itself is based on hearsay. Not good.

If the "offender" had done it once and was warned about it, then I would think he could have been nicked a second time for threatening behaviour under the public order act.

Hey ho, I wasn't there and neither were the Daily Telegraph.

As an aside I totally agree that service personnel injured on active service should have their own medical facilities and not be in NHS wards.

Roadster280
4th Oct 2006, 00:52
Footless Halls - :D :D :D :D :D

I'm out now, but as they say, "you can take the man out of the Army, but not the Army out of the man". Thank you so much for your words of support. I live in the US, so I also know exactly what you mean about the "ordinary folk" here too. This story sickened me.

Thanks again.

ORAC
4th Oct 2006, 04:52
the story itself is based on hearsay. Not good All stories are hearsay, reporting what the reporter was told by someone else, all that varies is the degree of separation. The source reported here is a relative, which is close enough to mean its not a friend of a friend of a cousin story.

If they don´t arrest them in central London, what makes you think they´ll arrest them in Birmingham?

Roland Pulfrew
4th Oct 2006, 07:49
Would I be right in suggesting that under the various new laws brought in under New Liarbour to protect EMs, an offence is commited if anyone takes offence to what is said by the perpetrator? Therefore can we not all complain to the Brum police and state that we have been offended by what this EM said and that if we formally complain they will have to investigate. Remember ladies and gents use the law as it wasn't intended. The majority population can be equally as offended by something said by a minority as the other way around! Make the law work for the majority!

ORAC
4th Oct 2006, 08:10
I repeat, If they don´t charge them for this in London, (http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/06/09/30/10071234.html) and as you can see there were complaints, what makes you think they´ll do so in Birmingham?

You´ve got to be a Christian handing out pamphlets to be arrested on religious grounds in the UK. Totally provocative and out of order that is....

Duckandcover
4th Oct 2006, 08:32
All stories are hearsay, reporting what the reporter was told by someone else, all that varies is the degree of separation. The source reported here is a relative, which is close enough to mean its not a friend of a friend of a cousin story.

I still think it's a shocking piece of writing and not befitting the Torygraph.

dakkg651
4th Oct 2006, 09:22
So we can't believe the article in the Telegraph today about thousands of injured soldiers on NHS waiting lists?

Skunkerama
4th Oct 2006, 09:31
Looks like somebody is in denial when they don't like what they read.

G-AWZK
4th Oct 2006, 11:59
If wounded soldiers are being taunted in hospitals it is an outrage and people should dealt with accordingly. I would suggest the perp is given an expenses paid guided tour of both Meanee Barracks and Hyderabad Barracks in Colchester where he could repeat his views and opinions.

Only problem is that newspapers, all newspapers, want to sell copy and stories can be a load of cobblers, for example the Sunday Telegraph printed a story in 2003 about certain "Labour run councils" who had banned Hot Cross Buns for PC reasons. It got lots of people hot under the collar with all the accompanying rants. Shame it was all a pack of lies (http://www.york.gov.uk/cgi-bin/wn_document.pl?type=3293)

ORAC
5th Oct 2006, 06:09
Grauniad: (http://www.guardian.co.uk/military/story/0,,1887821,00.html) Charities criticise shortfall in care for injured troops

.......The MoD has succumbed to pressure and agreed to set up a "military-managed ward" at Selly Oak hospital, Birmingham, which includes the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine. Soldiers admitted to the hospital from Iraq and Afghanistan with severe war wounds have been sharing wards with civilians. It is one of the measures that will be announced in response to growing pressure from military medics and service charities about the treatment handed out to the increasing number of British troops wounded in foreign operations, well-placed sources have told the Guardian.

But some charities made it clear yesterday they do not believe the measures go far enough. "There is a fundamental principle that people who have been blown up should not be looked after by someone who doesn't understand. It's obvious," a senior charity official said.

Former military officers say separate military wards were part of a deal made within the MoD when the decision to close military hospitals was taken by the Conservative government 10 years ago. The deal was never implemented.

Sue Freeth, director of welfare at the British Legion, said yesterday that one Selly Oak ward was unlikely to be enough. She also said the MoD had not been sufficiently active in ensuring that wounded soldiers and their families knew how to contact service charities as quickly as possible. "We not want to come across people by accident," she added........

Wader2
5th Oct 2006, 11:45
Stumbled across the following link when looking for something else.

Seems we are not alone in getting pastoral care wrong:

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/BrianRoss/story?id=1894152&page=1

SASless
5th Oct 2006, 12:32
The one real weak link in the US Army has always been the admin side of the house moves much slower than does the rest of the Army.

Throw in the new age of computerization and one can understand how these things work. Until the computer is told to cease it's programmed functions by a human....it will merrily work its little ol' heart out per the routine.

May I assume JPA is the equal of the US Army centralized pay and personnel system?

You will notice in the last sentence, the illustrious ABC, notes the Army took corrective action in those cases it cited. Mind you the damage had been done!:ugh:

SASless
5th Oct 2006, 17:40
http://www.vfw.org/index.cfm?fa=news.magDtl&dtl=1&mid=3609

http://www.moaa.org/Magazine/April2006/f_wounded.asp

A couple of good articles about US Military treatment facilities for returning wounded.

The USMC at Camp LeJeune, North Carolina set up a facility called Maxwell Hall to care for the troops coping with wounds.

Foss
5th Oct 2006, 19:07
Terrorists targetted hospital bound wounded army and security forces in Northern Ireland many times. Both in army wards and NHS wards.
Sending someone in dessie gear to an NHS hospital were anyone could be wandering about is ludicrous.
Fos
Safe home to everyone out there.

gareth herts
5th Oct 2006, 21:35
Grauniad: (http://www.guardian.co.uk/military/story/0,,1887821,00.html) Charities criticise shortfall in care for injured troops
.......The MoD has succumbed to pressure and agreed to set up a "military-managed ward" at Selly Oak hospital, Birmingham, which includes the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine. Soldiers admitted to the hospital from Iraq and Afghanistan with severe war wounds have been sharing wards with civilians. It is one of the measures that will be announced in response to growing pressure from military medics and service charities about the treatment handed out to the increasing number of British troops wounded in foreign operations, well-placed sources have told the Guardian.
But some charities made it clear yesterday they do not believe the measures go far enough. "There is a fundamental principle that people who have been blown up should not be looked after by someone who doesn't understand. It's obvious," a senior charity official said.
Former military officers say separate military wards were part of a deal made within the MoD when the decision to close military hospitals was taken by the Conservative government 10 years ago. The deal was never implemented.
Sue Freeth, director of welfare at the British Legion, said yesterday that one Selly Oak ward was unlikely to be enough. She also said the MoD had not been sufficiently active in ensuring that wounded soldiers and their families knew how to contact service charities as quickly as possible. "We not want to come across people by accident," she added........

Hi folks

This time last year I was half way through a 5 week stay in Selly Oak Hospital following a pretty nasty accident. My orthopaedic consultant was the RAF Wing Co you may have seen on the news reports of Prince Charles' visit to the hospital yesterday and he is a great surgeon and nice guy to boot. Most of the nursing staff who treated me were also military and a damn fine bunch they are too.

There were a number of military guys on the ward where I spent the majority of the 5 weeks and the fact is that there was no security for them. If anyone was of the same inclination as the aforementioned muslim then they could have had a dig at any one of the servicemen being treated on the ward.

The staff did try and keep us civvies in seperate bays, but at times this simply just wasn't possible, and it created incredibly awkward situations. What does a civilian like me say to a young guy who has been flown back to the UK suffering from significant life changing injuries in war? You try to be as friendly as you can but naturally it proved very difficult when the guy has got peers and colleagues down the corridor that he can't get to speak to - and these are the people they need to be with at that time.

I don't profess to know anything about the closures of military hospitals, and won't say anything negative about the care I recieved and am still receiving, but these guys need to be in their own exclusive wards / hospitals wherever possible I would say.

Just an observation from a concerned reader.

Take care out there.

Gareth