PDA

View Full Version : E-mailing flight plans to H'row flt clearance

nouseforaname
1st Oct 2006, 20:08
Did hear something about it couple of years ago but there doesn't seem to be that facility yet. Would seem like a good idea to me. Would also probably be faster for the team in flight clearance to e-mail back accepted/rejected flight plans instead of faxing?

Who could we/I make a suggestion to if any of you also thought this was a good idea?

Gonzo
1st Oct 2006, 20:45
It's in the works.

Our company IT policy prevented us from having a generic 'Flight Clearance' email address.

However, I believe 'They' have been persuaded that it won't mean the end of civilisation, so it will be coming at some point.

IO540
1st Oct 2006, 21:34
A lot of IFR pilots in Europe, and quite a lot of VFR pilots too, use www.homebriefing.com (http://www.homebriefing.com)

For a flat rate charge of Euro 36 / year you file a flight plan via their website and they load it into CFMU.

You can file it up to X days ahead, edit it online at any time prior to the flight, and they will send it to CFMU shortly before the flight.

A super service, and you can even phone them up.

The response (accept/reject) from CFMU comes back via email and/or SMS.

They confirm, in writing, to accept flight plans from anywhere to anywhere, not just in Austria where (LOWW) they are based. This is unique; while Heathrow (and others) would generate do it, they aren't obliged to, AIUI.

One of the best kept secrets in flying :)

david viewing
2nd Oct 2006, 11:08
I looked at the site and thought "That duplicates some of Abriefs' functionality. I wouldn't really want to pay twice."

So how about adding flight plan filing, Avbrief? You could even charge on a per occasion basis for low frequency VFR users like myself.

Barnside
2nd Oct 2006, 13:36
I looked at the site and thought "That duplicates some of Abriefs' functionality. I wouldn't really want to pay twice."
So how about adding flight plan filing, Avbrief? You could even charge on a per occasion basis for low frequency VFR users like myself.
Hi David,
We would love to do this but without either IP connectivity with the CFMU or a 2-way AFTN connection we don't have the ability to file flight plans.
The former is due for release by the CFMU in about 18 months, the latter is mired in politics.
Home Briefing, an excellent site by the way and one I use myself, are a State AIS provider so for them connectivity isn't an issue.

IO540
2nd Oct 2006, 14:17
I wonder how these people file their flight plans

http://www.moving-terrain.de/en/index_en.htm

If there is no interface into CFMU, they must be driving websites with scripts.

mm_flynn
2nd Oct 2006, 14:19
I would put in another vote for homebrief - a fantastic service.

A lesser known feature is that you can cut the flightplan message at the bottom of the CFMU screen (when you get that wonderful OK message :D ) and just past it into 'flight plan import' option. The vast majority of the plan is then automatically filled in and you just need to add the supplementary info.

Barnside
2nd Oct 2006, 14:26
I wonder how these people file their flight plans

http://www.moving-terrain.de/en/index_en.htm

If there is no interface into CFMU, they must be driving websites with scripts.

They look to be a pretty substantial company and, I would guess, using an AFTN connection.

IO540
2nd Oct 2006, 15:07
They need to first route check it via CFMU, iterate it if it is initially rejected, and then they need to stuff the route into some site that files the flight plan. It's no rocket science; anybody can drive CFMU with a script, and a private agreement (with an AIS unit) for filing the verified plan is all one needs.

I think the reason we don't get web-based flight plan filing from anybody remotely connected with the UK establishment is most likely 99% political. This facility has been talked about since I started flying 5-6 years ago; it's one of the most obvious things to do in aviation.

As for providing GA facilities, one problem is that UK pilots don't want to pay for anything. Among UK's VFR population, the market for services such as these is undoubtedly very thin.

Barnside
2nd Oct 2006, 15:23
IO540, much truth in what you say. Undoubtedly if the revenue potential for this feature from our private customers was of interest, then we would have put more energy into battling the politics. With limited resources, all our development effort goes into the airline and corporate markets where we are beginning to establish a good reputation for smart solutions. It's a real shame we can't be more responsive to our GA customers but most wouldn't argue the strategic necessity of our commercial focus.