PDA

View Full Version : PPL Wings

Esperanza
1st Oct 2006, 18:00
I'm a flying instructor who's looking to buy "PPL Silver/ Gold Wings" Pins/ Badges for newly qualified PPL's. Can anyone recommend where I can buy these. Cost is a major issue (under £5 each would be good). So far I've seen "wings" from both AFE and Stewart Aviation.
Thank you.

runway09
1st Oct 2006, 18:44
Try The Flying Shop:

http://www.adamsdirect.co.uk/proddetail.asp?modelno=Insignia%20Wings

£4.75 each.

Hand Finished in 22 Carat Gold ooooh! :ooh:

BEagle
1st Oct 2006, 19:13
Why not encourage your PPL holders to join AOPA and receive their 'Bronze Wings'?

See http://www.aopa.co.uk/newsfromaopa/wings.pdf#search=%22AOPA%20wings%20scheme%22

Esperanza
1st Oct 2006, 19:41
Thank you. I've now got something to show our office manager tomorrow morning. We should really have done this years ago. :ok:

GullWing
1st Oct 2006, 20:46
Hi Esperanza,

Im a student PPL at the moment, and think what you are doing is a fantastic idea! If only more instructors were as thoughtful!! Hope your boss approves the plan :)

all the best
GullWing

Pitts2112
1st Oct 2006, 20:52
Don't forget to give them some eppaulettes to go with them! :}

Pitts2112

Esperanza
1st Oct 2006, 21:29
Pitts2112. Thanks for the great idea...very helpful. Now I'll just have decided how many bars they should have on them.

wher2guv
2nd Oct 2006, 18:31
It's a great idea. The flying club I goto has a presentation day every year and presents wings to !st Solo and PPL passes as well. It really adds to the feeling of achievment and a good excuse to ahave a few drinks and meet some other members of the school.

Confabulous
2nd Oct 2006, 18:59
Don't forget the flightsuits :E

S-Works
3rd Oct 2006, 09:07
Why are you trying to degenerate this into a growbags and epulettes thread?

I think that a flying school giving out wings to a student is a very nice touch, it is something tangible that shows that they have worked hard and achieved something that is out of the ordinary. I know places liek NSF at Sibson give out wings every year at the Wings Dinner.

Confab, Pitts, are you so mean hearted as to take that away from them?

2000hrs later I still have the wings I was presented, tucked away on my shelf and still feel proud of them. I wont be pinning them to a grow bag or 10 bar epulettes any time soon but I am proud of them.

Flash0710
3rd Oct 2006, 09:25
Red Bull gives you wings apparently...........:E

Then there are also the Brown ones...........:E :E :E

f

Confabulous
3rd Oct 2006, 10:21
are you so mean hearted as to take that away from them?

Not really. My brother recently told me he thinks pilots are arrogant, opinionated and snobbish. Now we know that's not remotely true in 99% of cases, but the occasional one will take it a little bit too far. I'd be worried in case someone starts wearing the wings in public -wearing them in an aviation environment is fine, and keeping them as a memento of all the hard work you put in is laudable, but as you say, you don't wear them. So there's nothing wrong with wings, just don't wear them in a non-aviation environment is all I say. There is a certain flying club in Ireland whose owner calls himself 'Captain'. He's a PPL. Yes, a PPL is a commander, but not a captain! A 'Wings' ceremony is a really good idea, and should be encouraged, but some people do take the p!ss. Anyway even an ATPL doesn't come with any rank entitlements.

To be perfectly blunt if I was doing aeros I'd wear a flightsuit and helmet and to hell with the sniggering.

S-Works
3rd Oct 2006, 10:39
Not really. My brother recently told me he thinks pilots are arrogant, opinionated and snobbish. Now we know that's not remotely true in 99% of cases, but the occasional one will take it a little bit too far. I'd be worried in case someone starts wearing the wings in public -wearing them in an aviation environment is fine, and keeping them as a memento of all the hard work you put in is laudable, but as you say, you don't wear them. So there's nothing wrong with wings, just don't wear them in a non-aviation environment is all I say. There is a certain flying club in Ireland whose owner calls himself 'Captain'. He's a PPL. Yes, a PPL is a commander, but not a captain! A 'Wings' ceremony is a really good idea, and should be encouraged, but some people do take the p!ss. Anyway even an ATPL doesn't come with any rank entitlements.
To be perfectly blunt if I was doing aeros I'd wear a flightsuit and helmet and to hell with the sniggering.

Nobody was insinuation rank entitlements or titles in any of the posts.

Wings have signified for decades an individuals achievement in being able to take solo a flying machine in to the air and return to earth safely. i.e they have earned their wings. Wings are totally seperate from any badge of rank.

I think in some (bitter?) manner you are confusing a mark of achievement with a badge of rank.

My grandfather Air Commodore Retd has his original wings awarded to him when he first became a pilot but has kept no badges of rank. He reckons that anyone can get promoted but only the special few have the dedication and motivation to fly.

Not sure what would worry you about people actually wearing the wings? Look a bit silly on your suit or whatever you wear to work!!!

gcolyer
3rd Oct 2006, 10:44
Wings have signified for decades an individuals achievement in being able to take solo a flying machine in to the air and return to earth safely. i.e they have earned their wings.

Absolutley right!!

In fact I am going to buy a set and stick on my coat and be proud. Balls to anyone who wants to snigger! (unless it is relentless taking of the urine)

Now should I get gold or silver??

S-Works
3rd Oct 2006, 10:47
Absolutley right!!

In fact I am going to buy a set and stick on my coat and be proud. Balls to anyone who wants to snigger! (unless it is relentless taking of the urine)

Now should I get gold or silver??

Diamond encrusted Platinum of course..... Wings are like an engagement ring only the most expensive will do.....:p

gcolyer
3rd Oct 2006, 10:53
Diamond encrusted Platinum of course..... Wings are like an engagement ring only the most expensive will do.....:p

I think diamonds and platinum may well dent my flying budget

Engagement rings definatley dent your flying budget! I had to get divorced in order to be able to satisfy my flying habit...seriously!!

Esperanza
3rd Oct 2006, 11:18
I never cease to be amazed at how the simplest of queries can turn into an bizarre argument when posted on the "Private Flying Forum". Is it flying or simply the Internet that attracts lunatics?
We went with "Pooleys" in the end. Thank you for the sensible suggestions/ positive feedback. :ok:

gcolyer
3rd Oct 2006, 11:31
I never cease to be amazed at how the simplest of queries can turn into an bizarre argument when posted on the "Private Flying Forum". Is it flying or simply the Internet that attracts lunatics?
We went with "Pooleys" in the end. Thank you for the sensible suggestions/ positive feedback. :ok:

I may be a lunatic but i am behind you on this one. The military give out medals for achievements and soldiers are proud to wear them. So why not give out wings and be proud to wear them.

Flash0710
3rd Oct 2006, 11:48
Nobody lives next to me.......:{ :{ :{ :{

f

Confabulous
3rd Oct 2006, 12:26
I'm not really old enough to be bitter about anything, I'll wait until I'm 95 to start that.

It's like the old, old joke:

Q: How do you know if there's a pilot at a party?
A: He'll tell you.

One of these days I'll turn up at a PF fly-in wearing a flightsuit, helmet, eps and wings - in a 152. I'm sure I'll be treated with respect :p

PS: My original comment was in jest, I probably should've said that. No offence intended to anyone, the wings are genuinely a great idea and I'd be proud to have them myself.

Pitts2112
3rd Oct 2006, 21:31
Why are you trying to degenerate this into a growbags and epulettes thread?
I think that a flying school giving out wings to a student is a very nice touch, it is something tangible that shows that they have worked hard and achieved something that is out of the ordinary. I know places liek NSF at Sibson give out wings every year at the Wings Dinner.
Confab, Pitts, are you so mean hearted as to take that away from them?
2000hrs later I still have the wings I was presented, tucked away on my shelf and still feel proud of them. I wont be pinning them to a grow bag or 10 bar epulettes any time soon but I am proud of them.
Lighten up, Bose. How many smileys does one have to put after a one-liner to denote a joke? If one isn't sufficient, does it take two, three or four? Do they have to be silver, gold, or platinum? Besides that, I thought the epaulette thread was one of the funniest ones I've read on here in years (and, yes, it was an intentional reference to it)

It is funny how most people, myself included sometimes, are predisposed to initially presume maliciousness on other peoples' part rather than humour.
Pitts2112
Not going to bother with the smiley this time as they don't seem to work...
:) (couldn't help myself)

Confabulous
3rd Oct 2006, 22:43
I can just imagine Bosey sobbing into his keyboard on reading our nasty, mean comments about wings and eps.

At Pitts said, twas a joke :}

S-Works
4th Oct 2006, 10:02
I can just imagine Bosey sobbing into his keyboard on reading our nasty, mean comments about wings and eps.
At Pitts said, twas a joke :}

Really?? Or maybe a pang of concience?

Flash0710
4th Oct 2006, 10:52
Bose...... Someone needs a hug...........:) :) :)

xx
f.

S-Works
4th Oct 2006, 12:02
Bose...... Someone needs a hug...........:) :) :)
xx
f.

i'm honoured Flash, but I prefer blondes. :p

Flash0710
4th Oct 2006, 13:43
I have blonde streaks........:p :p

So do i tho......:E

xx

f

Confabulous
4th Oct 2006, 14:03
Natural blondes are best :E

It's true! :=

Arrestahook
5th Oct 2006, 15:43
AH bose read your thread on flying the 172 at 17,000ft on oxygen for hours on end! Very impressive, however, why? and well the hell were you going?

Right then wings aside - (which are fine if its your bag) - whats the most rediculous get up you have ever seen someone flying in?
My winner was spotted at Kidlington and emerged from a Rallye wearing full flying suit with the white knee boards and assorted badges purchased from AFE catalogue, no less than three sets of wings, two cloth and one pin on metal, white gloves and a bone dome. Lengend! And big balls too to walk round dressed like that.

S-Works
5th Oct 2006, 18:42
AH bose read your thread on flying the 172 at 17,000ft on oxygen for hours on end! Very impressive, however, why? and well the hell were you going?
Right then wings aside - (which are fine if its your bag) - whats the most rediculous get up you have ever seen someone flying in?
My winner was spotted at Kidlington and emerged from a Rallye wearing full flying suit with the white knee boards and assorted badges purchased from AFE catalogue, no less than three sets of wings, two cloth and one pin on metal, white gloves and a bone dome. Lengend! And big balls too to walk round dressed like that.

On my way to sunny Majorca! Not hours on end at FL170 just one leg. But the point being is it will get there no problem.

Hours on end in the airways, Menorca, Majorca, Prague, Annecy, Karlovy, Speyer to name but a few. A far cry from those early trips to Jersey and La Chassagne under the NSF wing. They seemed like such big hurdles in those days and would not have happened without NSF! I think that first Beyer trip gave me the bug!!!

Arrestahook
6th Oct 2006, 09:46
MMMnnnnn that was a messy trip. What was that lurid green stuff in the jugs we were quaffing on arrival; that later got stolen from the kitchen when when had drunk them out of wine, port and Cognac?

Sounds like its time to buy a TBM 700, and when you do can I have a go?

S-Works
6th Oct 2006, 10:10
MMMnnnnn that was a messy trip. What was that lurid green stuff in the jugs we were quaffing on arrival; that later got stolen from the kitchen when when had drunk them out of wine, port and Cognac?
Sounds like its time to buy a TBM 700, and when you do can I have a go?

Ah yes amd the Euro 3000 drinks bill!!!! Not to mention you pushing Herb out to the Robin ina wheelchair!! The Caan customs guys looked very bemused!

Sold one of the companies so thinking something along the Meridian lines at the moment. You can come and check me out in it!!

G-BAYO
13th Feb 2008, 21:04
Hello Everyone

Just a quick question to be honest. I have gone solo today :) and was have a flying jacket but nothing on it. Are there any special wings that you can wear as a PPL Solo pilot or do you wear the actual PPL wings or not at all?

Many Thanks

G-BAYO

Lucy Lastic
13th Feb 2008, 21:42
Congratulations on your solo flight.

You have obviously read the preceding threads and the attitude of many to "badges of achievements". Assuming that yours is a genuine question, I regret to inform you that wings are not issued for a first solo.
You may wish to buy a set of wings after the issue of your PPL, but, as you can see, there is some feeling against this.

I only wear one insignia of achievement (and then only rarely, amongst consenting adults). It is my Silver C Gliding Badge. It took a long time and much effort, and I am prouder of that than anything else I have done in my flying career. It has little intrinsic value, but it is something that has to be earned.

PPL wings and epaulettes can be bought from any aviation 'chandlers' and even student pilots are now wearing them. No wonder requests such as yours are treated with scorn.

eharding
13th Feb 2008, 21:46
Waltham do a great dinner night for the new crop of PPLs, IMCs and NQs - for the PPL, a natty little set of silver wings; for the IMC, the same but gold, and for the Night Qualification, they give you a torch. If you follow up with an Instructor Rating, they give you a tie and make you turn up at 8am on the dot. :)

Reading this, I had a horrible feeling I'd mislaid those little silver and gold badges (I know where the torch is) - but have just found them in with the dress-shirt studs and cufflinks. Never worn them apart from at the dinner night, but when I'm old, blind, deaf and dribbling, I hope those little bits of tin bring back the memories of what was, and what is yet to be.

On the front, the wings have the WLAC logo and motto. On the back, it says "BadgeMaster 01623 723 112"

Edited: Do'h. Didn't see the original posting date. :}

G-BAYO
13th Feb 2008, 21:54
Lovey thank you very much for your help:D I'll just stick to my Cadet Solo wings then for the moment. I notice you say more and more student pilots are wearing insignia.

By that do you mean they are wearing epaulettes and wings even though they should not?

Regards
B-BAYO

PompeyPaul
13th Feb 2008, 22:51
When I passed my PPL I bought myself one of these, much better than a pair of wings:

http://jitcrunch.cafepress.com/jitcrunch.aspx?bG9hZD1ibGFuayxibGFuazoxMDdfRi5qcGd8bG9hZD1MM CxodHRwOi8vaW1hZ2VzLmNhZmVwcmVzcy5jb20vaW1hZ2UvMTg5NzcxNTBfN DAweDQwMC5wbmd8fHNjYWxlPUwwLDE3MCwyNyxXaGl0ZXxjb21wb3NlPWJsY W5rLEwwLEFkZCwxNTUsMTI1fGNwPXJlc3VsdCxibGFua3xzY2FsZT1yZXN1b HQsMCw0ODAsV2hpdGV8Y29tcHJlc3Npb249OTV8

digital.poet
14th Feb 2008, 17:39
To take things a step further...

I am seriously considering getting a small, discrete, set of wings as a tattoo if I manage to qualify. Already had a friend of mine design it, although I may well chicken out. Don't have any tattoos now and as I will be 27 this year I am wondering whether I am coming out of the age bracket that is usually designated for this kind of thing.

Still, as permanent body art goes, it is certainly more appropriate than most of the stuff I see people with, and even if I don't end up flying my entire life, passing would still feel like an achievement worthy of this kind of recording.

Am I nuts? :)

S-Works
14th Feb 2008, 17:51
Yes........

Put1992
14th Feb 2008, 18:34
I think you are nuts. :)

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/pilot

A great selection of shirts etc.

BroomstickPilot
15th Feb 2008, 08:20
Hi Guys,

I feel the presentation of a wings badge at a club night ceremony is a lovely idea. As has been said, it recognises real achievement and gives the new pilot something he/she may well cherish for ever. I still have my 'Association of British Aeroclubs' wings I obtained in 1960.

I also think it would be a good idea if people did wear their wings badges more when flying or when around the aerodrome, purely as a marketing ploy. Quite a lot of non-flyers frequent the flyers' club restaurants and to see people around wearing their wings might make them feel they wish they had some too. The more people we can tempt to take up flying the better it is for private flying. However, I must confess that I don't wear my own, purely because no one else does. But I still wish people would and then I would do so too.

As for the wings badges available over the counter, in my view they are without exception naff, ill designed and cheap looking. I also suspect that they should not really be displaying those distorted impressions of the St Edward's crown that most of them seem to have. I should have thought that should be confined to military wings.

My advice to the original poster would be to search on the Internet for a badge manufacturer, (there are lots of them), and have a really nice club wings badge made to order. I think you will find you don't have to order that many as a minimum order.

Broomstick.

Flying Farmer
15th Feb 2008, 18:06
One remembers fondly the time whilst doing my stint as an instructor at a largish South West airfield, we had the usual summer fly out.

Our instructors wore white shirts with a black tie, no other sign of been sky gods at all. Yes we wore trousers for those looking to nit pick ;)

Anyways this glorious morning Mr n Mrs PPL, hire the aircraft for a day, for a bimble types turn up. Just happened I spotted them first, have you guessed yet?

Black trousers, crisp white shirts and to top it off Mr has 4 gold bars, Mrs has 3. Well she was the nav for the day so most fitting.

Much merriment for the rest of the day to be had, damn shame they couldn't have taken some of our studes off us they really did look the part. :E

modelman
15th Feb 2008, 18:43
Nice touch,handing out wings as a mark of achievement.At my club,when you solo,you get a certificate that is very humorous as well,something like:Mr XXXXX did shoot off into the sky,circumnavigate this airfield and returned safely to earth etc.
They also have a presentation evening where I received my little cloth wings and was very proud to receive them.I still have to pinch myself that I am considered to have the ability (just) to fly an aircraft.
I haven't sewn them on anything as my flying attire is usually fairly casual.

MM

EvilKitty
16th Feb 2008, 18:00
I was motivated enough to stump up several £ks to pay for my MSc studies with the OU - but that doesn't mean it wasn't darn nice to get to go to an awards ceremony at the end of it, wear a gown, and be told I'm allowed to put MSc (CCI) (Open) after my name!

It's nice to get recognition from others of your accomplishment. Its also nice to be get something that you can use to show others your accomplishment (if you so wish). So some discrete wings (such as a lapel pin) that you can wear (if you want) would be great.

Epaulettes and rank insignia though should definately be for work only!

Fright Level
16th Feb 2008, 19:07
Make sure you've been up to 6,000 feet and then have one of these (http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?DID=19&CATID=173&Product_ID=1469&count=3&Pcount=12&DETAIL=1) awarded.

Seriously, if you're buying a reasonable batch, order them from the US, they'll be half the price plus some postage.

BackPacker
16th Feb 2008, 21:08
Make sure you've been up to 6,000 feet and then have one of these awarded.

I thought you had to do something else as well up there, before you could claim membership of that elite club? Something which is somewhat incompatible with your duties as PIC, airmanship etc.? Not to mention physically, well, challenging in the LHS?

BeechNut
17th Feb 2008, 01:30
Q: How do you know if there's a pilot at a party?
A: He'll tell you.

I used to be like that but eventually explaining the minutiae of flying to the earthlings got to be very tiresome; you know the how fast, how high, how far questions, talking to the big guy in the control tower, all those questions. So I tend not to tell anyone anymore.

Instead, my wife, who hates my flying habit, tells them for me, so that I spend the remainder of the party explaining the minutiae of flying... how fast, how high, how far, etc... it's her way of getting back at me. I think she thinks I'll get so fed up I'll sell the Beech and give up flying.

Instead I brag about my other hobby, singing Gregorian Chant in a choir :eek:

Beech

BackPacker
17th Feb 2008, 07:15
you know the how fast, how high, how far questions, talking to the big guy in the control tower, all those questions.

Maybe it is cultural, but one of the questions I always need to answer is how expensive, the minimum hours you need to do and so forth.

Viola
17th Feb 2008, 08:23
My non-flying husband bought me a small set of wings when I passed my PPL - a thought which I appreciated very much and it's kept safely with my ear-rings. The only time I've worn my wings is during a fly-in when too many people assumed I was there to make the tea, not to fly. (I do make a nice cup of tea, though I says it myself, but I was there to fly.)

My husband will often tell people I fly, but I don't usually, except sometimes at work. I work with a lot of young men in their late teens/early 20's. Some of them have a habit of boasting how fast they've driven - hoping to impress/frighten the 'elderly' woman (me:}). It's funny to see their reactions when I say 'Oh I was going at 130mph at the weekend, perhaps 150mph with the wind behind me'.

Put1992
20th Feb 2008, 21:28
Mr XXXXX did shoot off into the sky,circumnavigate this airfield and returned safely to earth etc.

Given by my shaken hand instructor?:}

Put1992
20th Feb 2008, 21:28
Mr XXXXX did shoot off into the sky,circumnavigate this airfield and returned safely to earth etc.

Given by my shaken hand instructor?:}

modelman
20th Feb 2008, 22:20
You obviously got one as well:)

MM

Windy Militant
20th Feb 2008, 23:02
I got waylaid into helping out with the PFA shop at various rallies. For the first couple of years I did it we were not allowed to sell either the cloth sew on wings or metal pin on wings, unless the purchaser was able to show proof of holding at least a PPL. This was the cause of much amusement and or aggravation depending on the the individual attempting to purchase said wings!
;)

DX Wombat
20th Feb 2008, 23:17
HGFC give all their PPLs a very nice Wings pin. I didn't know this when I started learning there so it came as a pleasant surprise. Interestingly enough it is my non-flying friends who always want me to wear the pin, I like to keep them safe. :)