PDA

View Full Version : Planning for Deauville.

stickandrudderman
1st Oct 2006, 16:59
Hi All,
I'm planning my first solo foray across the channel to Deauville next weekend, probably via Southampton and Cherbourg.
Any advice would be gratefully received. Having looked at the chart there seems to be a rather complicated relationship between Deauville and Le Havre.
Thanks in advance.....
:)

Fuji Abound
1st Oct 2006, 17:14
Why Southampton Cherbourg?

It is only 10 miles or so more from Shoreham to FeCamp if you are worried about the distance over water and avoids the Cherbourg exclusion areas.

Check the NOTAMS etc for Deauville opening times otherwise no problems.

stickandrudderman
1st Oct 2006, 18:10
That's exactly the kind of tip I was looking for, Thanks.
Who do I call when I get to the FIR? Paris 125.7 or Deauville 120.35 or someone else?
Does Deauville have customs?
What does "Flight PLan must be submitted to LRFGZPZX and LFRSZPZX" (from Bottlang) mean?
Any more anyone?

skua
1st Oct 2006, 19:37
Deauville will effectively give you a RIS when you get to the FIR boundary if you cross direct. I have been loads of times, and there is no need to go the IOW - Cherbourg route. Watch out for the restricted area over the oil refinery in Le Havre, and watch out for heavy (by French standards) landing fees for int'l arrivals.

Check out the Olivia website before you go ( and get yourself a passowrd), this will make filing your return flight plan easier. Tho like many French airfields the terminal is often u/s. You then phone it through to Brest, who understand English v well. Check the Notams, I am not sure they have their Avgas back on yet.

Eat in Trouville, not Deauville (it is what you come to first in a taxi anyway)

Have fun

Skua

nouseforaname
1st Oct 2006, 20:01
I'm sure you will have all the appropriate topo charts etc. but I went in there IFR not that long ago and switched to VFR as I got a bit closer as it was a lovely day. There is a river which has a bridge over it, on this bridge there are some HUGHE masts watch out for them, they are well lit and noted on the chart but they did strike me as big when i flew by them.

Have a good trip, I recommend the sea food restaurant opposite the Royale Hotel, you can't miss it look for lots of blue umbrellas! enjoy.

stickandrudderman
2nd Oct 2006, 07:03
Thanks for all the tips Guys.
As for the restaraunt and taxi tips there's a certain young French lady waiting to take care of all that for me!:ok:

Skua, can explain a little more re: "Olivia" web site and also telephoning Brest?
Thanks

Mariner9
2nd Oct 2006, 07:44
Olivia is the wonderful French website for obtaining Notams, Weather, and filing flight plans. You can access it here (http://olivia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/index.php?lang=en&ref=olivia)

As Skua advised, log on and get yourself a password before you go.

Several alternatives for filing the return flightplan. Possibly the easiest is over the phone with London (providing your flying back to the UK) on +44 208 745 3111 or the French equivalent (and they speak excellent English) on 0810 437 837. You can do both from the resteraunt which saves hanging around the airfield for an hour waiting for the FP to be activated.

Don't bother with Paris, just call Deauville, they are excellent. If you still intend to route over the IOW I suggest KATHY-GARMI(The FIR boundary)-MP-DCT. Alternately direct from Shoreham via SITET (FIR boundary) is another easy route.

No fuel at Deauville, but Caen does have some. At Deauville, you don't get landside via the "C" - that just contains the OLIVIA terminal. Use the next door on the left(as you face the terminal).

Enjoy the flight :)

stickandrudderman
2nd Oct 2006, 18:22
Thanks very much guys for all your help.
I've had my PPL for two years now and had never heard of Olivia!
I'll let you know in due course if the trip was worth it;)