PDA

View Full Version : Lesson Canceled

high-hopes
1st Oct 2006, 12:13
hi there

just out of curiosity, (and frustration of course), on average how often you PPL students out there get your eagerly awaited lessons canceled due to non-weather related issues ? (anything apart from weather : aircraft tech, maintenance, checks, lack of instructors...)

Also, is it just me, or it always happens when the weather is good for flying ?

regards

H-H

ronnie3585
1st Oct 2006, 15:02
Get used to it, you just have to pay your dues and soldier on!

AC-DC
1st Oct 2006, 15:14
Never, only due to WX but then I had a ground school.

runway09
1st Oct 2006, 18:39
Hiya H-H.

My lessons get cancelled due to bad weather all the time especially this time of the year but its something that i cant do anything about, unless i want to do my PPL abroad!

I have taken the advice that was given to me and have started to book double the lessons i really can afford to try and compensate for the cancelled ones.

Runway09

FlyingForFun
1st Oct 2006, 18:54
Also, is it just me, or it always happens when the weather is good for flying ?No, it's not just a coincidence.

Aircraft are more likely to go tech when the weather is good, because they get used more. And in any case, if the weather is bad and there's another problem, the school will most likely not tell you of the other problem - they'll phone to tell you the weather's no good, and not mention that the left wing fell off your aircraft and the instructor broke his back yesterday.....

FFF
-------------

A and C
2nd Oct 2006, 07:21
To the best of my memory I had around 22 x-c trips canx due wx over about four months and then did three x-c trips and the GFT (skill test) all in one week in the middle of the winter !

east_sider
2nd Oct 2006, 21:54
I've had well over 50% cancelled so far, all to Wx, I've only been learning since July. Started booking 2 lessons per weekend, preferably at different times or ideally one Saturday and one Sunday, as less likely to loose them both!

I was wondering the other day if "statistically" there is a time in the day when you are least likely to have bad Wx. Eg in the Autumn (UK) is it often better early morning and deteriorates throughout the day?? Therefore booking at 9am or 10.30am more chance of flying?! (I haven't started studying Met yet...)

runway09
2nd Oct 2006, 22:03
Yeah know what you mean there.

I was told by my FI that same thing that the morning slots are the best to go for so booked some 9am slots but these were cancelled due to things such as low cloud or fog which had cleared by 12/1pm'ish.

I really think its just pot luck to be honest. As i said the more lessons i book the more chance i have of flying and have opted for booking lessons at lots of different times of the day.

Cancellations happen, i just accept that now and hope i will get airborne next time.

Runway09

DenhamPPL
2nd Oct 2006, 22:40
I guess I have been lucky so far!

Have been working my way through the PPL course since July and only had one lesson cancelled due to weather. I have blocked booked 2 hours every Tuesday afternoon at my training organisation and apart from the odd crosswind which prohibits solo circuits - I've had no weather problems.

Sod's law of course will now decree that tomorrow the weather will be :mad:

:) Andy