PDA

View Full Version : JAR-FCL PPL vs. NPPL

mad_bear
23rd Sep 2006, 18:12
Hi

I'm a newcomer to flying training, and I'm interested in the relative merits of the JAR-FCL PPL vs. the NPPL.

Initially the NPPL seems appealing since you can, in principle, qualify with only 32 hours flying time. However, there 's no realistic prospect that I will be competent to fly a plane in 32 hours, and maybe not in twice that many. So, given that the qualify time for the JAR-FCL is 45 hours, and I will undoubtedly need more hours than this, is there any point in going for the NPPL?

I have a suspicion that this question may be academic, because I'm not sure I'd pass the JAR medical, given that my eyesight is ****. I appreciate that spectacles are allowed, but I believe there is a minimum standard of uncorrected vision that I may not meet.

But, if that isn't the case, or I have my eyes adjusted by laser, is it worth even considering the NPPL?

Any advice gratefully accepted.

vulcanpilot
23rd Sep 2006, 19:12
I have a suspicion that this question may be academic, because I'm not sure I'd pass the JAR medical, given that my eyesight is ****.

What's your prescription? What do you mean by sh1t? Do you have any colour blindness or bad astigmatism?

I wear contact lenses with the 'carry a pair of specs' endorsement on my medical. I have -2.0 and -2.25 (short sighted). never been a problem.

As you are learning to fly (as per your previous post), perhaps seeing an AME for a class 2 would be cash well spent at this point?