PDA

View Full Version : Aerobatics in the Midlands

Romeo Romeo
19th Sep 2006, 22:46
I'm interested in doing some entry level aerobatics in the Midlands (within about an hour and a half from Nottingham). Has anyone got any information about good instructors in that area?
Cheers
RR

EGBKFLYER
20th Sep 2006, 07:17
There's a full-time and a part-time aeros instructor at Sibson near Peterborough that would fulfil your requirements. You could fly a C152 or a Pitts S2A.

www.nsof.co.uk

slim_slag
20th Sep 2006, 08:23
There is an aerobat and decent club at Leicester.

Mark 1
20th Sep 2006, 12:20
For a touch more class, there's Chippy 901 at E.Mids.

They usually reposition locally for training sorties.

stiknruda
20th Sep 2006, 12:41
Go fly with Charlie K at NSOF.

Good man, good pair of hands.

Stik

precession
20th Sep 2006, 13:07
I'm impressed, an S2a in the UK/nsof for that rate solo is pretty good, and if you fly more than 20 hours a year on type, it's even cheaper :eek:

squawking 7700
20th Sep 2006, 13:23
As well as the above mentioned there's also:-

Decathlon at Tatenhill
Bulldog at Derby (P2 only)
Firefly & Chippy at Sheffield
Puchacz & K21 gliders at Saltby (Buckminster GC) & Hus Bos

Sherburn too far?

Rod1
20th Sep 2006, 13:36
I would add another vote for Leicester.

Rod1

stiknruda
20th Sep 2006, 13:56
Rod - Leics is a great place, but RR said that he wanted to do aerobatics, not defy death and gravity in a Cessna aerobat:E :E

So NSOF!!

EGBKFLYER
20th Sep 2006, 14:18
True Stik - however, some would say that if he can do it in a 152 aerobat he can do it in anything!:p

Enjoy it wherever you do it RR

MichaelJP59
20th Sep 2006, 14:39
I'm impressed, an S2a in the UK/nsof for that rate solo is pretty good, and if you fly more than 20 hours a year on type, it's even cheaper :eek:

Out of interest, why is typically the rate for hiring a Pitts S2 so much more than an equivalent value aircraft? Is it just that you'll be using a lot of fuel in that hour? Or insurance maybe?

Zulu Alpha
20th Sep 2006, 16:09
Out of interest, why is typically the rate for hiring a Pitts S2 so much more than an equivalent value aircraft? Is it just that you'll be using a lot of fuel in that hour? Or insurance maybe?

Maintainance is more, Engine life is shorter, insurance is more, hangarage is needed and useage is also probably lower.

Alan C makes a good point in his book. It might be cheaper per hour for a Cessna aerobat but you will fly for twice as long and all the extra time will be spent climbing for height.

Pitts2112
20th Sep 2006, 22:19
all the extra time will be spent climbing for height.

Boy, that's a fact. Not exactly an S-2, but I watched a mate of mine depart in his S-1T (200hp with wobbly prop) and that thing climbed like nothing I've ever seen with a prop. He simply pointed it upward at about a 45 degree angle and just held it all the way up to 3,500 feet by which time he levelled off because he got bored. The Pitts, any of them, can climb!

Pitts2112

precession
21st Sep 2006, 01:13
Alan C also warns against agressive flick/gyroscopic manouvers as replacing a crank is usually the result of this type of use.

agreed , the climb rate is a just a hoot, always puts a wry smile on my face, S2b Full throttle height (which is about 5.5/6K+) in about 3/4 mins from brakes off depending on density one up (80% fuel), 5 mins odd two up. :p

eharding
21st Sep 2006, 07:37
He simply pointed it upward at about a 45 degree angle and just held it all the way up to 3,500 feet by which time he levelled off because he got bored.

Sounds like his normal attempt at the Standard Known.....:E

slim_slag
21st Sep 2006, 08:04
Well Romeo Romeo, I'm going to go against all the advice given on the Pitts.

Your goal, I would guess/hope, is to perform solo aerobatics. Now the Pitts is a magnificent beast, quite probably the finest machine any of us will fliy outside the military, but it is very sensitive (good thing/bad thing) and it's a real trick to know what is front when you are trying to land it.

So although you will get to the aerobatics box nice and quick, you will spend all the time saved going around and around and around in the pattern working out how to land it safely. In fact probably a lot more.

It's also a taildragger, which again is marvellous, but you don't want to be spending £200 an hour on an endorsement and learning how to keep your feet moving when you are on the ground.

Also, it has a splendid motor up front which will do a great job of moving your blood all around your body, but it also allows you to power out of mistakes.

So I would say learn to loop, roll, spin etc on a crappy old aerobat and get yourself to a level when you can solo. Then pick a victim and take them up, as the real fun is when you show your new skills off to a mate.

When you have learned how to make a pig like an aerobat work magic, go play in the Pitts.

Also they do a good curry at Leicester.

Sleeve Wing
21st Sep 2006, 08:38
Very sound advice, slim slag.
Start on the easy one (C152), frighten yourself a bit and get the manoeuvres right.
Then Super Cub (tailwheel practice so you don't bend the Pitts.) and then Pitts for the fun stuff and first competitions.

As for the Pitts being the best thing since your military hardware, nah, mate..............try an Extra 230/300. It even makes you look good !!
Oh, and yes, for my money, Charlie K. at Sib. ......current competitor.
Rgds, Sleeve.

Vick Van Guard
21st Sep 2006, 09:18
For a touch more class, there's Chippy 901 at E.Mids.
They usually reposition locally for training sorties.

I agree about a touch more class, however Chippy 901 has relocated to Tollerton (due inpart to the landing fee's at EMA :eek: ).

She usually postions to Hucknall at weekends for training.:ok: