PDA

View Full Version : Dunsfold

JP1
18th Sep 2006, 17:55
Does anyone know if there is a flying club at Dunsfold, and if so is there a website. I can't find anything by google'ing, but maybe I'm looking too hard! Alternatively other clubs based close to Farnborough (hants) excluding Blaskbushe, Popham and Old Sarum

Thanks

Spitoon
18th Sep 2006, 18:11
I think Dunsfold went unlicensed a couple of years ago - which will rather limit the operations of a flying club - although I think there are still a small number of aircraft using the field.

Genghis the Engineer
18th Sep 2006, 18:19
What sort of flying are you looking to do? There are plenty of people here who know the clubs around there intimately - but they vary a lot, so a few steers will help us a lot to hopefully give some useful advice.

G

JP1
18th Sep 2006, 20:44
Hi,

Just general flying, but at the moment I am considering gaining my PPL in the US on an intensive course and then joining a relatively local club, to gain further experience. However, I quite like the idea of getting some aerobatic experience in the bulldog (after the PPL). I was browsing the Old Sarum website and it looked like a very good club, however, I noticed that the hourly solo rate was £160. Not knowing whether this was good or bad, I found this club http://www.skysport.dial.pipex.com

and it seems that the site claims their bulldogs are some of the best examples, but their rate is almost £30 cheaper (not sure if there were other charges).

The concept of the frequent flyer discount at Old Sarum was also appealing, and in general I will be looking for further training rather than just flying local VMC.

So I'm just doing a lot of research to determine the best club to join, so in summary:-

1) Range a differrent types of aircraft to fly (complex, multi)
2) Licensed to provide futher flight instruction
3) Frequent flyer scheme
4) Good rates
5) Good Club atmosphere

I flew from blackbushe with Cabair a few weeks back but there certainly was no club feel about the place. I guess that is because its more of a school that a club, but I don't think I would wish to pusure further training there.

GWidgery
18th Sep 2006, 23:22
Dunsfold doesn't have a club of its own, as someone mentioned before it's not completely unlicenced.

I fly from White Whaltham with the West London Aero Club. It may not be the cheapest in the area, but in my opinion it's the best. The club atmosphere is probably one of the best in the country. The instructors and aircraft are all top notch!

GWidgery

Genghis the Engineer
19th Sep 2006, 07:37
For what you are after, yes I'd go for Old Sarum - not particularly cheap, but not extortionate either. More to the point, it has everything you are after, including some of the best club atmosphere I've seen anywhere.

In that area, cheaper flying can be had at Thruxton, which will offer most of what you're after but is much more a school than a club. And much cheaper at Popham - which is a fantastic club, but relies upon individual (or more often group) aircraft ownership and doesn't offer ab-initio instruction.

G

pistongone
19th Sep 2006, 09:27
DONT FLY INTO DUNSFOLD!!!!
Top Gear of BBC fame have claimed the place for over a year to my knowledge! The star in a reasonably priced car test track uses appx one third of the runway and the police and other emergency services use other parts of it for various exercises. There is a 747 on the ground but not planing on going any where soon! No flying, no flying club, the end of another decent large airfield.

Airstripflyer
19th Sep 2006, 13:23
Dunsfold is very much alive still. Around 20 private aircraft are based there including mine! Check out the website www.dunsfoldaerodrome.com

pistongone
19th Sep 2006, 15:57
Airstripflyer,
The Jumbo in the web site for dunsfold is the same one i saw when i whent to The Top Gear studio on the site. The track they use is definitely on the end of 25 and the studio is the big 3 gabled hangar to the north of 07/25 so that would make opp's a bit risky no? Big Jeremy Clarkson racing up and down in a Ferrari or whatever at 230mph and you trying to land in your 172 at 70mph? Or even worse, The Stig doing 235mph and stopping 100mtrs before the end:p That seems like a confliction of traffic to me:confused: :confused: Can you tell me how it works there as i would like to fly in to see if i can blag my way into the top gear show? Are you aware that the studio for the show is actually on the site? Like the big big que's of traffic entering the place on a Wednesday are the audience? I had a troll around on my motorbike when i was there and i only saw the 747, no GA or any sign of a club, and the Security Yellow Jacket Man on the gate said there wasnt any tower,club or flying instructors. Just for the record this was about 18 months ago.

IO540
19th Sep 2006, 16:04
What about that story about Dunsfold being owned by a developer who wants to close it for development, but the council won't let him? Is it false? I hope so. It's a nice big airfield.

foxmoth
19th Sep 2006, 16:31
Also my understanding is that Dunsfold is not available weekends.:(

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
19th Sep 2006, 17:00
Dunsfold is not available Sundays or Saturday afternoons.
BBC have it on Wednesdays for filming - apart from when Clarkson is sunbathing in the caribbean.
Airfield is a radio service on 119.1. But PPR required - and you had better check on fuel before going there as bowsers are not always available, especially for Avtur.
Airfield is indeed owned by a developer....but the housing is several years away yet.
Locals love to hear the sound of turbines.....go visit it if you have the opportunity.

pistongone
20th Sep 2006, 08:09
Thanks for that DSQDRN, i will make my next tea stop there on my way to the continent, can you get tea and sarnies there?

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
20th Sep 2006, 10:02
there is a mobile cafe of sorts - based in a caravan. Tea and food are above average for what you'd expect from a caravan.

Hampshire Hog
20th Sep 2006, 14:01
BAFC at Booker is also worth thinking about. They are not really 'clubby', but there are club trips, friendly staff, expert advice from highly qualified and experienced instructors, and a mass of aircraft with good availability during the week.

I've been at Cabair at Blackbushe too, years ago. BAFC has more atmosphere than Cabair.

HH

Gingerbread Man
22nd Sep 2006, 11:24
I can recommend Western Air at Thruxton. Did my PPL training there and thought it was a professional and friendly place. Fairly standard rates and in a nice part of the country. I think the variety of things you can do in that region is good as well - lots of MATZs, a few CTAs (to hone your radio skills) and interesting countryside to fly over. Hope it goes well.

Ginger ;)

JP1
22nd Sep 2006, 11:47
Thanks for the replies. Certainly a few more clubs for me to check out
JP1