PDA

View Full Version : In charge or not?

Lister Noble
15th Sep 2006, 18:14
Say you need a flight check because you have not flown for 28 days or whatever the club requirement is.
You go up with an instructor, do a couple of T&G’s then fly around with him for rest of the hour or whatever.
Are you under his command all the time, as he has logged out the aircraft or can you be in command once he reckons you are OK?
Or do you land and then go off again on your own?
Do you then need to go in and log out again as PIC?
Lister:)

172driver
15th Sep 2006, 18:23
Lister don't confuse club/FBO regs with CAA regs. Clubs/FBOs will have their own (usually insurance-dictated) rules, whereas the CAA/FAA etc have the real (i.e. legal) ones. AFAIK you are PIC in this situation, as legally you are entitled to fly the a/c (this assumes you are current with medical, etc).

Lister Noble
15th Sep 2006, 18:29
Thanks 172,
I'm doing this on Sunday and the club is relaxed although very professional, as is the CFI.
I will ask him before we go,I don't think he is too worried about hour building as he has flown professionally for the last 50 years.;)

172driver
15th Sep 2006, 18:31
Enjoy the flight !:ok:

J.A.F.O.
15th Sep 2006, 18:33
How'd the taildragging go, Lister?

Gertrude the Wombat
15th Sep 2006, 20:43
Personally I write these down as Pu/t.

Basically because it's my log book and I want it to be an accurate record of what I think I've done.

And with an instructor sitting next to me I know perfectly well that I do not have the same level of responsibility as I do when I'm on my own ... for example, I've decided before we take off that if there's a fire in the air I'm going to say "you have control" as quickly as I can get the words out. That is not the same as my accepting complete responsibility for the flight.

BEagle
15th Sep 2006, 20:48
Lister Noble, you will NOT be PIC - the FI will be.

Them thar hills
15th Sep 2006, 20:56
Therefore LH seat is pu/t !
:hmm:

skydriller
16th Sep 2006, 06:54
Oh my god, Not again.........!!!!!:rolleyes: :{

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

See just below : http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=238070

Have fun!! Regards, SD..

Lister Noble
16th Sep 2006, 17:11
How'd the taildragging go, Lister?

Well it all started OK,just about to go solo after 5 hrs then ran out of time,and since then for two weeks I have not been able to fly due to cross winds,bad weather or non availability of the Cub.
I have two days booked next weekend and hope that should see it done.
I found it very enjoyable ,a delight to fly but quite a handful on the ground at first.
Can't wait to get my hands on the controls of our local Cub once I'm checked out.
I am flying the PA28-180 tomorrow after a check out, as I've not flown that for 6 weeks.

vancouv
16th Sep 2006, 18:50
My understanding is that you need to agree with the instructor beforehand what is happening. You are legally able to claim P1, as you have a valid license to fly the plane. The fact your club insists on a check flight is irrelevant.

However, if the instructor is going to claim it as P1 then you can't. So you need to discuss it with him/her. I have flown check flights where the instructor has been happy for me to claim the P1 time, as he didn't need it, and it was more useful to me as a lowly PPL. However, if your instructor is hour building then he probably won't agree to this.

So it's something to agree up front.

PLATO_Y2K
17th Sep 2006, 10:55
Not knowing exactly the rules, I did a check flight on tuesday in a PA28. After asked the FI how to log it, and he said it falls under Pilot in Command under supervision (PICUS/P1S). Seemed logical at the time. :)

Plato

Say again s l o w l y
17th Sep 2006, 11:58
Plato, you're instructor is wrong. PICUS etc. can only be used for a succesful flight test. A checkout does not come under this. You are either P/UT or P1. Nothing in between.

For the 200th time.......:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Final 3 Greens
17th Sep 2006, 13:15
Lister

Easy this one and depends on what you prefer to log.

Either

You need to do the 1 hour training flight required once in every two years, in which case you agree what is to be instructed and the instructor is P1 and you P u/t

Or

You prefer to log P1 and the instructor accompanies you as a safety pilot, which in a PA28 is as pax.

When I was in a club, I used to really enjoy these types of flights, as they were not under test conditons and you could focus on really learning from the instructors knowledge and skills.

soay
17th Sep 2006, 13:40
A slight variation on the question: assuming mutual agreement, can you switch P1 mid-flight? For example, if you as P1 start feeling tired or unwell, and decide you'd rather continue to your destination as a passenger than land at the nearest airfield.

Final 3 Greens
17th Sep 2006, 14:02
Soay

Yes.

Each person logs P1 for the bit where they were in command.

J.A.F.O.
17th Sep 2006, 20:59
Lister

It's a so and so when that happens. Wish you well.

JAFO