PDA

View Full Version : florida and bahamas

baboon288
12th Sep 2006, 18:52
Hi I am going to florida in nov/dec and hope to rent and do a bit of flying. I would like to include a Bahamas trip but have heard that an Instrument Rating is required?. I have 250 hours but no IR. Any info gratefully received!

stiknruda
12th Sep 2006, 21:22
Baboon,

I read a Pilot mag article about 16 yrs ago and thought that's for me!

Went in late summer 94, took N2296T a very nice retractable 182 away from Cav-Air, Ft Laud Exec and did Fl and the Bahamas over 10 days.

Fantastic experience, doubt very much that the regs have changed, I had 300 TT and no IR.

Recommend that you buy the Bahamian Air Pilot and their chart. Good investment.

Stupidly, I recorded all the destinations in ICAO code and really need to sit down and decode them:

MYAW, MYAT, MYAM, MYEH, MYLS, MYEM, etc......

I'd vote for it!

Stik

welkyboy
13th Sep 2006, 07:03
I also rented 2296T from FXE about 12 years ago and flew to Grand Turk.
Renters in US usually require a minimum of 3 hrs per day or 2 hrs if a complex type. I rented for 7 days and had to guarantee 14 hrs flying, tho if you dont fly the required hours they charge the outstanding at a dry rate.
Beware that you will need a US visa now on return as the visa waiver system does not cover private aircraft. Also expect the US Customs to comprehensively inspect all your baggage and see all aircraft docs. on return to a customs airfield.
They are paranoid about drug smugglers and you will get a discrete squawk code so they know who you are(we were formated on by a Coast Guard Fan jet Falcon checking our registration at FL105 approaching the ADIZ off Florida)
Also fuel costs in the Bahamas are almost double those of the US.
Have a good flight but it might be better to fly down the Keys to Key West, much less hassle.

dont overfill
13th Sep 2006, 19:06
Hi I am going to florida in nov/dec and hope to rent and do a bit of flying. I would like to include a Bahamas trip but have heard that an Instrument Rating is required?. I have 250 hours but no IR. Any info gratefully received!

Bahamas is the greatest destination and dead easy- done it six times in the last eight years.
You'll probably need an FAA licence to rent in the USA. Start organising that now.
Get the Bahamas and Carribean Pilots guide from Transair. It will tell you almost all you need, even accommodation! No IR required.
If you qualify to travel to the USA on a visa waver, you may then use this to travel to the bahamas on an "excursion" with a light aircraft. The immigration guys at Fort Pierce on our return this year did not know this and had to call Palm Beach to confirm. We had always used Palm Beach before.
Paperwork is minimal. File an international flight plan on the phone. Fill in a cruising permit and an arrival report on arrival and that's it!
We have always had good sevice from Air Orlando at Orlando Executive. New Cessnas $109 per hour and 2hr per day minimum. Put aside a day for a checkout, groundschool and an international briefing. www.flyairorlando.com (http://www.flyairorlando.com)
Fuel was around $4.50 gal in April- no hardship there.
I suggest you use Freeport or Marsh Harbour as airport of entry. Freeport is 2 hours from Orlando.

hedfan
14th Sep 2006, 13:23
Hi,
I regularly fly in florida and last year hired a 172SP for a week and flew to grand bahama and the abbacos islands, great trip,it was cheaper to hire the new IFR 172Sp than to fly scheduled out of ORL and much more fun, Spannish cay and walkers Cays are brilliant and supprisingly cheap, freeport also great as a base and cheap.
Most flight schools in us require US Licence and due to Insurance limitations will not hire an aircraft to the bahamas unless the pilot has an IR.
Only thing to watch is annaly retentive US customs on return, they need prior notice and stick to time, a/c also needs customs sticker.
kids still played with their game boys in the back while I flew at 500 feet over some of the best sceenery in the world. would include a pic but its beyond me on this .

dont overfill
14th Sep 2006, 14:27
I agree with some of hedfans comments about customs. The rule is now you must PERSONALLY phone customs at your return airport before taking off. If you depart from Freeport they are supposed to automatically open your flight plan- they didn't for us this year. Definately do not need IR hiring from Air Orlando, ask for Trudy she's a gem. Walkers was closed due hurricane damage this year. Fly further south. Hawks Nest Cat Island, Staniel Cay and Cape Santa maria Long Island. I'd post pics if I knew how. Don't let any of this put you off. It's wonderful. Air Orl are slow with e mail, best Phone. D.O.

B2N2
15th Sep 2006, 03:02
Some schools/FBO's require an IR to take a plane out of state...some don't.
Flying in the Bahama's is different from the mainland US though.
In total 26 "ports of entry" but not too many carry fuel.
At the more popular destinations you can see a trail of small aircraft in shallow water who didn't quite make it...no joke.

Bahamas is the greatest destination and dead easy-
Some of it is some isn't.
Weather can be pretty intense, although less in Nov./Dec.
Generally poor radar coverage below 5000', generally poor radio coverage
away from the bigger airports.
Life vests, life raft mandatory, no night VFR allowed....blablablablabla.
Don't get me wrong it is some fantastic flying over there.
But you should consider going with an experienced instructor first to learn the ropes of island flying.
Otherwise get a very thorough briefing and stick to the busy destinations first time round.
If you go down someplace remote it might be days before they find you.