PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Canada

S-Works
5th Sep 2006, 15:48
I am going to Canada next month on one of regular visits to Halifax and my friend who is a Capt for Air Canada (Jazz) has persuaded me to do a flying trip.

What do I need to do to be able to fly IFR is PIC?

We are thinking St Johns-Vancouver-Halifax over about 10 days. De-iced Twin that belongs to my friends father in law.

Keygrip
5th Sep 2006, 23:08
I was in Canada last september and exchanged 49 Canadian Dollars for a "Transport Canada Airline Transport Pilot License" (issued on the basis of UK CAA one).

I asked about the use of the instrument rating - "Yep" they said. Full priviledges of the ATP (for private flying, not public transport).

The licence is only valid 12 months though!.

er340790
6th Sep 2006, 01:09
Check out the Transport Canada website. For PPL to fly C registered a/c it was just a simple validation of the overseas licence (FAA in my case) and is valid for 12 months.

Also maybe worth getting a full CAA licence if it's going to be a regular thing. You'll need a CAA medical (get it done same time as your regular medical for a nominal extra amount). Then there's just the on-line regulations test which is easily done.

Voila - and Canada has to be the best flying country there is!

englishal
6th Sep 2006, 05:09
Recreational Flying in Canada: Foreign Licence Validation Certificate (FLVC)
A foreign pilot licence of a visitor whose residence is outside Canada may be validated for private recreational purposes. The foreign pilot licence must be valid under the law of the issuing state and valid for the privileges appropriate to the specific purpose.

An applicant may apply for a Foreign licence Validation Certificate (FLVC) before arriving in Canada. The FLVC will be issued for a period of one year at which time the applicant may choose to renew it, or apply for a permanent Canadian Pilot Licence.

The applicant may fax a copy of their pilot licence and their valid Medical Certificate to one of Transport Canada’s Regional offices.

Transport Canada Safety and Security, General Aviation, Personnel Licensing AARRB), Place de Ville, Tower C, 6th Floor, Area D, 330 Sparks Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0N8.

There is a licensing fee of $45 Cdn. applicable that may be paid by a certified cheque, money order or credit card number, (the cheque should be made payable to ("The Receiver General for Canada").

Flight Training in Canada: Limited Term Private Pilot Licence (LTPL or LTPL/MC)
As a result of the increasing numbers of pilots coming to Canada each year to train for and receive additional licence privileges, Transport Canada will now issue a Limited Term Pilot Licence and Medical Certificate (LTPL/MC) or Limited Term Pilot Licence (LTPL). The LTPL/MC is based on a valid foreign pilot licence and the medical document validating that licence. The LTPL is based on a valid foreign pilot licence.

As a result this will permit foreign pilot licence holders to fly Canadian registered aircraft internationally for private recreational purposes. The holder of this LTPL/MC or LTPL may act as pilot-in-command or co-pilot of any aircraft for the sole purpose of his or her own flight training or flight test. This document may also be endorsed with additional ratings

The following conditions are applicable for the issue of a LTPL/MC.
The foreign licence must have been issued by a Contracting State of ICAO and be valid under the law of the issuing state for the privileges appropriate to the specific purpose.

The foreign Medical Certificate must be valid in accordance with Canadian medical standards. (For example: In the case of a pilot who is under 40 years of age, a LTPL/MC shall not be issued if more than 24 months has lapsed since the date of the last medical exam. In the case of a pilot who is 40 years of age or older, no more than 12 months shall have lapsed since the last medical examination.)

The LTPL/MC validity period shall not exceed 90 days.

A LTPL/MC may only be issued to an applicant once in any 12 month period.

There will be a licensing fee of $40 Cdn. for this document.

There is no requirement for a written examination.

The LTPL/MC may be endorsed for additional privileges if the required conditions are met.
The following conditions are applicable for the issue of a LTPL.
The foreign licence must have been issued by a Contracting State of ICAO and be valid under the law of the issuing state for the privileges appropriate to the specific purpose.

A Canadian medical conducted by a Civil Aviation Medical Examiner (CAME) and assessed fit in the appropriate category by a Transport Canada Medical Advisor may validate an LTPL.

The LTPL validity period shall not exceed 90 days.

A LTPL may only be issued to an applicant once in any 12 month period.

There will be a licensing fee of $40 Cdn. for this document.

There is no requirement for a written examination.

The LTPL may be endorsed for additional privileges if the required conditions are met.
The LTPL/MC and the LTPL is applicable to the following aircraft categories:
Glider,
Aeroplane,
Helicopter, and
Balloon.
Should further information be required please contact Transport Canada, General Aviation, Personnel Licensing at (613) 990-1058, Fax (613) 990-6215.

acuba 290
6th Sep 2006, 08:10
and what about CAA JAA-PPL in Canada? What i need to chart a plane there?