PDA

View Full Version : Taking the folks flying...

Ian_Wannabe
3rd Sep 2006, 12:10
Hey guys - I've booked myself some flying for the 10th Sept so that I can take my parents flying for the first time, for thsi reason I'm just wanting to double check my currency with the whole 3 take offs and 3 landings etc....

On the 10th Spet it would have been 8 weeks since I last flew - I'm still okay to take up passengers without having to do three landings and take offs or without going up with an instructor first correct?

I'm gonna double check with my club to make sure they dont have tighter restrictions on that rule but this is my first port of call.

Cheers everyone

Ian

robin
3rd Sep 2006, 12:32
Legally, yes.

As you say, the club would probably have a tighter set of rules - ours is a 28-day currency.

But more important, do you feel current? If not, get a checkout first

The currency rules take no account of the weather conditions on any particular day, your health and confidence.

Following the currency rules might even put you in some danger. We have pilots who ensure they fly just enough to avoid a checkout, but do very short flights in the local area. Give them a few months and their actual ability falls to a dangerous level

So, to sum up, develop your own view of your currency, rather than club and CAA rules.

Ian_Wannabe
3rd Sep 2006, 12:35
Hey Robin cheers for the reply - and a good point made thanks for bringing that up. I'm gonna take them for a few circuits which I feel comfortable with, dont really feel ready to do a nav ex yet as Im a low hour pilot and I'd like to do one by myself first so that if I do become unsure about something Im only risking my own neck!

Cheers again

Ian

theresalwaysone
3rd Sep 2006, 12:43
Ask anyone who is nervous about flying and they will tell you its the take off and landing they dont like, just bare this in mind in case they are nervous, circuits may be best for you but not them.

As a PPL holder you should be able to do a local nav exercise without any problem so be confident and enjoy.

Dont forget to explain the diffrent sounds and sensations they will get if they have never flown in light aircrat before!

i

robin
3rd Sep 2006, 12:48
Hope the trip goes well. On a positive note, I found the flights I have with non-pilots have the best take-offs and landings I've done. Its probably because you take that little more care with your passengers

Crossbleed
3rd Sep 2006, 12:54
Wannabe. Maybe a couple of circuits by yourself the day before to blow away the inevitable cobwebs. 8 weeks is a long time. And you will almost certainly do your best landings without an instructor sitting next to you!:ok:

Ian_Wannabe
3rd Sep 2006, 16:23
Hey guys cheers for the replies - Yeah I think im gonna try and get in 30 mins or so on the Sat before hand, I'm yet to fully understand what that big twirly thing on the end of my nose is yet :eek:

I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks again guys