PDA

View Full Version : RedBull AirFarce

bencoulthard
2nd Sep 2006, 18:09
Let me tell you about my day. If you don't want to hear a rant then close the browser now.

I got up at 6am to go see some amazing guys fly in amazing ways.
Ahead of me was a 230mile journey. I completed the 1st 200 miles by 11am.
Then the **it hit the fan, we started queueing before we got off the motorway with 30 miles to go.
We stopped queueing at 2pm with 10 miles to go.
We stopped queueing at 2pm and went home.
On our 20mile trip back to the motorway we saw 1000s of cars with car park stickers still queueing at 2.30 where we had been at 11am, so they has 3 hours to get to where we had.

Red Bull you ****ed up, Longleat cannot handle the amount of traffic you need. You open the car parks at 9am an it is impossible to get everyone in by 2pm when the real competition starts, nevermind the early show stuff.

I just got home at 6.45pm you wasted 12 hours of 2 peoples lives and nearly 500 miles of my petrol money. Had the weather been good I would have been even more annoyed as I would have missed it, as it happened it was cancelled.

So, although others might not agree, I think Red Bull deserve the bad weather toady, due to the bad choice of location and non existent traffic management I bet 40-50% of people who tried to get there wouldn't have done had the weather been good.
Therefore you do not deserve to profit from the farce that was the Red Bull Air Race UK 2006

Rant over
Now I'll go calm down Mrs. Ben

theskyboy
2nd Sep 2006, 18:39
I echo everything you say, was a complete f****** disaster. Just glad we decided to call it a day before we got caught up in the traffic of disgruntled punters, who actually made it in, leaving.

More pissed off as this is the first year I've actually managed to get tickets...never ever again.:mad:

I feel better now too:ok: Mine's a G&T.

tsb

martine
2nd Sep 2006, 19:24
Hey guys a little unfair I think. I was also caught up in the horrendous traffic and like you, gave up at about 1:40 still 8miles from Longleat.

There had been a serious accident on the A36 ring road at Warminster which we could just about see in the distance. The road was closed, due I suspect, to the police doing their investigations.

The air-race was at Longlest last year and they hold other big events at Longleat so I don't think it was the choice of location that was the problem.

What annoyed me was the lack of info from the police, local radio etc. Why didn't the police organise diversions? The accident happened early morning I believe. Why didn't local radio find out what was going on rather than just saying "the roads are solid" :rolleyes: every 15 mins?

Since the weather made it unflyable, I believe we all get full redunds.

I suspect it will be the last at Longleat as most commericial sponsors get bored after a few years and the weather and disgruntled punters could be the last straw. Shame - I'd have liked to have seen it in person as it's very different for us aircraft-heads.

Martin - Bristol, UK.

Barcli
2nd Sep 2006, 19:25
whilst nothing could be done about the wx - lets face it - you would expect better in august , where would you suggest as a better location to longleat ? It does have good motorway links ( as you say only 10 miles from leaving motorway ) it has unique topography for the race ( hills to watch from !!) - what exactly would you have done differently given the requirements for the actual aircraft and race itself ?:)

orionsbelt
2nd Sep 2006, 19:29
It was just as bad on Channel 4 TV.
What the fcuk have the prats from Big Brother got to do with it and those other idiot commentators.
Potential great show ruined by those fools with there 'media studies' degrees and no knowledge of history of Air Racing. I quote 'a new sport' I think the prat said. Suggest he Google's ' Alex Henshaw and the 1938 King's Cup Air Race' before the next show
Nice to see the UK chaps and Nigel Lamb involved, pity about the wx.

splatt
2nd Sep 2006, 19:30
Well guys. I had a fairly rubbish day out there too. Aside from the weather, exactly the same problems plagued the event last year - traffic both human at the event and vehicular entering and leaving the location.

Unknown to many the earliest red bull air race was actually held at Kemble a few years ago. OK the landscape is not quite as good at a real airport but nearby Fairford holds RIAT every year and the traffic is definitely better there, not great, but better.

I agree they MUST change location, they completely oversubscribed it these last 2 years (I've been to both). Weather is out of their hands and understandable.

Maxflyer
2nd Sep 2006, 19:38
Hang on! Moaning about the weather!

As Martine explained, there was an accident that caused the hold up. That's life.

As for being oversubscribed - I don't remember too many complaints from last year. I would even suggest that had the weather been ok and no accident to cause delays, you would all be saying what a great time was had by all.

Get some perspective.

Barcli
2nd Sep 2006, 19:41
maxflyer - couldnt agree more

martine
2nd Sep 2006, 19:45
It was just as bad on Channel 4 TV.
What the fcuk have the prats from Big Brother got to do with it and those other idiot commentators.
Potential great show ruined by those fools with there 'media studies' degrees and no knowledge of history of Air Racing. I quote 'a new sport' I think the prat said. Suggest he Google's ' Alex Henshaw and the 1938 King's Cup Air Race' before the next show
Nice to see the UK chaps and Nigel Lamb involved, pity about the wx.

Absolutely agree with all that - I'd like to think they were time filling as they knew there wasn't going to be any live action.

Anyone notice the 'presenter' who headed up the C4 show? A certain Tamara Ecclestone...she was useless and I wondered...and checked the net and yes, she's the daughter of the F1 head-honcho: Bernie :rolleyes:

splatt
2nd Sep 2006, 20:04
Of the people arguing pro Longleat as a location it seems as though only Martine actually went today. I've been both times, and both times it was terrible traffic. Yes the accident added to frustrations - I was in blue car park also having to enter via A36 - however that is part of the problem the police have no way of actually altering vehicle routings because to do so would severely mess up the whole parking scheme. The local radio by the sounds of things should also be more informed but I would reckon that is a job for the redbull organisers and not a job for the local radio jocks.

Barcli
2nd Sep 2006, 20:07
yep - both

Daifly
2nd Sep 2006, 20:12
We left home (for the 72 miles drive) at 08:30. We parked up at 11:30. Lots worse than last year, but last year they let you come off the A303 where Longleat's signposted, not miles before at the A36(?) junction and then winding roads all the way in (plus loads of roundabouts - the scourge of free flowing traffic). We didn't see an accident, so the journey was no better really before the smack.

As for the weather, well, pants, but that's not Red Bull's fault! What they should have done was think that 60,000 people are probably going to want to do something other than watch low clouds and the occasional TV/Weather helicopter flying around - there was nothing to do other than the static Army Air Corps Historic flight - nice, but not *that* amazing to look at. As the for the pit lane walk - thoroughly pathetic. They let one huge load in and that was it, but being standard Brits we all queued anyway (getting more and more tetchy but not really saying anything). But funnily enough, if you only have one entrance and exit (combined) then you're not going to be able to get a throughput of people are you!?

As for the car park farce on leaving, well all I can say is 100% effort from the guys on the final exit gate for funneling in 8 lanes in a fantail into one, but more effort in getting a logical exit system should have been made.

And as for the tw*t in the Vauxhall Vectra 2.0i bought from an Audi garage - I hope you impressed your wife and kids with your cutting up antics. You nearly got a road rage of 4 angry, cold, wet and fed up blokes wanting to point out the error of your ways (we followed you for about 10 miles so you should remember us...) - and to the chavscum in the Fiesta (not that that narrows it down at this event), didn't your Mum ever tell you that dropping litter was bad? You sat there eating wrapped sweets and chucking all the papers out the window, empty coke bottles and everything. You also nearly got the 4 angry, cold, wet, fed up and community spirited blokes pointing out the error of your ways.

Think next year I'll watch it on the telly.

Good choice in Steve Rider commentating (mainly on the weather, but he was good). Also, I did see Pete and Nikki off Big Brother. My life is nearly whole now..

Longleat was a stunning venue last year (nice weather) but the traffic, crowd control and the ground events are pants. Don't think that you can correct the traffic other than by moving it though...

Shaggy Sheep Driver
2nd Sep 2006, 20:17
The only other Red Bull location I've seen (only on vid, unfortunatley) is Budapest. There, its over the river in the city centre.

Now, do any UK cities have a nice straight, wide river with unobstructed approaches (rules out London!) ??

18greens
2nd Sep 2006, 20:19
Shame the traffic was so bad but last year it was fine, no delays getting in and we had an hour of slow traffic getting out. In all not too bad. I guess the accident was just bad luck.

But given the TAF from last night why did you all bother? The weather was exactly as forecast. I binned because despite the chance they might scrape a few trips in I didn't fancy sitting in a wet field trying to have a picnic under and umbrella that was trying to become part of the display. ~As pilots we are blessed with good weather information sources ,why didn't you believe them. I can understand the great unwashed not understanding cloud bases and visibility but as part of the master pilot race we are in a unique position. Mind you it was probably the first time this year the TAF and the METAR agreed.

Roll on next year.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
2nd Sep 2006, 20:23
I can understand the great unwashed not understanding cloud bases and visibility

I understand it was more the wind that was the problem. Pylons waving about, low level gusts and sheer, that sort of thing?

AlanM
2nd Sep 2006, 20:55
Well, the TV was just as bad. After 25 minutes of (fairly interesting interviews) I said that racing was unlikely. Somrhting they only confirmed when the show was nearly over

As for Miss "Daddy owns F1" - shocking.... introducing 2x Big Brother wasters who seemed to know or care as much about the event as she did. (she must have loads of Google hits after today Martin!)

Ch4 really screwed up on this one...... shame really.

Capt Tutcrue
2nd Sep 2006, 21:19
I live in Westbury, only 5 miles from the venue. Using local knowledge I got to within 2 miles of Longleat and then spent the next 2 hours waiting in traffic, no evidence of any RTAs just volume of traffic and 'Care in the community' running the traffic control.
Having finally got into the event it was impossible to move from the pit lane area across the (only)bridge to the spectator areas. Fortunately everything was delayed so not too much of a problem, but to take over 1 hour to cross a 10 meter bridge seemed a little excessive.
There is no doubt that access to and control of crowds at the event were the most abysmal I have ever seen at any aviation event in over 20 years.
I understand that the organisers had attempted to increase attendance levels twofold since last year, pity their greed spoilt what promised to be a great event.
No-one can cater for crap wx and the ensuing cancellation, that's life.
Pathetic traffic control and poor site organisation cannot be excused.
Had the event gone ahead and a mishap occurred I shudder at the likely consequences.
The concept is fantastic, the pricing very fair (full marks to the organisers for the promised refund), the location stunning but........totally unsuitable!

Oh yes they were still admitting late arrivals as we were leaving at 1630!!!??????:mad:

My sympathies to those who had a long drive before joining the queues, I will definitely not be pencilling in Air Race 2007 in my diary.

Sean Dell
2nd Sep 2006, 21:46
I have no idea why the wuckfits at Red Bull didn't can things based on yesterdays forecast. Could they not have moved it to Sunday? Would have saved us (including 2 small kids) sitting in the car for 3 hours only to get to the back of a 12 mile tailback at midday. All for nothing.

It was never gonna happen guys - not in a million years. It's almost like the Red Bull bods just wanted to get 1 aircraft airbourne so that they wouldn't have to pay out on the refunds!!

Sorry guys yet another British Sporting debacle.

Top Tip: Hold it in June or July where there might be a vague hope of some sunshine.

2nd Top Tip: Hold it somewhere where you might be able to get to without leaving home two weeks before the event.

3rd Top Tip: Go to the practice day(s) instead - you might see the winner!

Oh and Tamara Ecclestone, stick to modelling.

eharding
2nd Sep 2006, 21:58
I have no idea why the wuckfits at Red Bull didn't can things based on yesterdays forecast. Could they not have moved it to Sunday? Would have saved us (including 2 small kids) sitting in the car for 3 hours only to get to the back of a 12 mile tailback at midday. All for nothing.

So, you didn't can your trip (including 2 small kids) based on yesterday's forecast? Case of press-on-Taurine-itis? :-)

Human Factor
2nd Sep 2006, 22:11
Two lessons to be learned.

1. Don't plan international sporting events in the UK at any time other than mid-July to mid-August.

2. Run the race somewhere which can handle the traffic. Getting out was an absolute farce. Personally, I'd suggest Poole Harbour.

hobbit1983
2nd Sep 2006, 22:14
Did anyone else get stuck on the wrong side of the bridge (the only way across the river) whilst the local security/police stopped *everyone* from going across said bridge through to the aircraft viewing area (cos as it was the only thing to see, therefore every bugger was trying to get in there) & blue/green carparks on the other side.

The only problem was....I think most people just wanted to go home by this point! I'd been there since 0900, and the chances of the event happening were looking grim. But cos the pit area was clogged, they stopped anyone from moving across.

So having decided at 1500 that the thing was a no-show, me & a few others (like say 1000 or so) wanted to get back to our cars on the other side of the bridge, and go post-haste, but no-one was allowed to do so! For 45 min...

Cue a lot of angry, wet, annoyed punters clashing with police. I think one guy got carted off, and someone else swam the river...

Having said that, they couldn't control the weather. And they did refund everyone (or are going to). But the transport infrastructure?

bencoulthard
2nd Sep 2006, 23:29
I understand that the organisers had attempted to increase attendance levels twofold since last year, pity their greed spoilt what promised to be a great event.

The concept is fantastic, the pricing very fair (full marks to the organisers for the promised refund), the location stunning but........totally unsuitable!

Oh yes they were still admitting late arrivals as we were leaving at 1630!!!??????:mad:

My sympathies to those who had a long drive before joining the queues, I will definitely not be pencilling in Air Race 2007 in my diary.

I'll second that, greed and they got what they deserved, refunds all round. On the drive home I was thinking of how to word my argument for the small claims court had they managed to get something airbourne and tried to keep my money.:=

bingoboy
3rd Sep 2006, 00:01
Queueing was a pain but the "bridge" problem on the site was horrendous and should have been foreseen and a solution found before the event. The exodus from the car parks was mayhem - where had all the marshalls gone ?
The pits had all aircraft tucked up in hangars so could only view from a congested open front. All in all not a very well planned event.

Might I suggest the Mersey as a UK venue - it is long and wide with excellent viewing areas.

checkpointcharlie
3rd Sep 2006, 00:38
Just a point on pricing. I went to see it in Berlin and it was free of charge !! Just because we live in rip off Britain are we expected to pay ? Think about how many of the other venues are free.

The flying was great but oh the bulls**t factor. I guess thats what TV does.

tangovictor
3rd Sep 2006, 01:19
Just to add to what a few others have said, I didn't attend, thankfully, however, I tried to watch it on TV, jesus, who on earth thought BE's daughter " who must really need some more cash" could become an overnight presenter ? then, we were treated to some complete idiot + girl friend, I have no idea who they were, or from what institution they escaped from ?
Steve Cracknell, attempted to bring back some sanity, asking some interesting questions of the pilots, then it was back to Ms E and then ensued a much better race, for the remote ! Channel 4 or 5 which ever it was ! you blew it big style

747-436
3rd Sep 2006, 08:01
It was free last year but I guess as thousands turned up Red Bull decided that they could make a nice bit of money out of this one. Now they won't make any because of the weather.

Longleat is a fantastic location but the roads near by are not up to that amount of traffic unfortunatly.
Didn;t go yesterday as I was working but went last year. As I said in another post myself and a friend last year decided to walk halfway home from the venue, parents live 3 miles away, and got my Dad to pick us up from a country lane near longleat (Car went with some other friends). It was so much quicker getting out as we were home within 30 mins of leaving!

I think if they are doing it next year they should drop the rule that you can only come in by car. It would mean that those of us that live near by could come in by bike or foot leaving a bit more space on the roads for those that live further away.
If I had gone this year would have tried to get in on foot, having lived near Longleat since 1988 and on and off since 1998 I know enough ways around the woods to be able to do that!! :ok:

Didn;t think too much of the TV coverage, what were the big brother people doing there?!!!!

Gonzo
3rd Sep 2006, 09:04
Well, I had a fun day. Ok, so no racing, but lots of fun catching up with mates I'd arranged to meet there, and of course the glee felt whilst watching those who brought tents trying to keep hold of them against the wind!

We parked up at 1110 having only queued for literally two minutes at the entrance to the red car park to get over that hump.

I was mightily impressed that I received a text from Red Bull just after 1800 to tell me that my refund would be automatically processed.

I'll certainly be going again. Great news that you lot won't be, as I'll have more room! :E

747-436
3rd Sep 2006, 09:22
I'd go next year if it is on again and I am not working!

bcfc
3rd Sep 2006, 11:52
Left Hungerford at 10:00,
Reached the motorway queue at 10:30
Went 7 miles in 2 1/4 hours
Turned around and followed a queue of other blue/red ticketed windows giving up
Went to IKEA
Spent £150 on flatpack
Spent the evening cursing

Not doing that again :=

Wycombe
3rd Sep 2006, 13:10
Like others have said I looked at the TAFs early yesterday and was somewhat pessimistic that anything worth watching would happen.

But, as this was a Birthday surprise day out for a relative we pressed on, leaving the Newbury area at 0815L.

Took us until approx 1100L to get in, but at least we did !!

Despite the optimistic broadcasts of Steve Rider over the big screens, the low cloudbase and gusty winds never really looked like clearing, which does leave you wondering whether the organisers really were trying to "string it out" to the last minute in the hope of not having to pay a refund :mad:

No-one can help the weather, but the Traffic Management was shambolic :mad: (take some lessons from RIAT, who have really got this sorted now, on the same type of Country lane-type infrastructure).

distaff_beancounter
3rd Sep 2006, 13:45
TV Coverage on Channel 4
I had looked forward to watching one of the rare TV sports programmes that is not about football.
So why oh why did Channel 4 hire such a dreadful presenter as Tamara Ecclestone? She clearly knew nothing whatsoever about aviation and her 'interviews' with equally ignorant people, were simply cringe-making. Would a joke presenter such as Tamara be let anywhere near a football programme?
Why doesn't she ask Daddy for a presenters's job in Formula One?
By contrast, Steve Cracknell's interviews with the pilots were well done and very interesting.
So, next time Channel 4, please save your money and just hire Steve Cracknell.

Well, rant over, 'cos at least I didn't have to spend 12 hours in a traffic jam. :)

747-436
3rd Sep 2006, 13:59
I imagine they did as last year where evevryone had to go out of Longleat the same way. I think if they do it next year they should utilise the lanes more, it would mean disrupting traffic to a couple of villages for a bit but I am sure they can cope.

There is more than one way out of where the cars were parked but last year only one way was open, helpful!

NigelOnDraft
3rd Sep 2006, 16:18
I imagine they did as last year where evevryone had to go out of Longleat the same way.No - just from the "Blue" Car Parks there were (at least) 2 separate lanes out... However, the second did not open until ~1745 since there were still cars coming in on one of them...
We stayed for the prize giving etc to avoid the mad rush. Left ~1745 and took 15 mins to get out:)

'Chuffer' Dandridge
3rd Sep 2006, 16:28
Rule 1 - Unless in the USA or Dubai etc, watch it on TV. Saves petrol, queues, bad weather, and you can record it and watch it when it suits you. And the Brit guys never normally win anyway!

I had a ticket, but gave it away!:E

Human Factor
3rd Sep 2006, 16:46
And the Brit guys never normally win anyway!

Except for Mr. Jones in Budapest and (technically) Mr. Bonhomme at Longleat based on Friday's practice times.

Puchacz14
3rd Sep 2006, 17:11
Hi guys, I dont personally know what you are all moaning about! There was nothing that red bull could have done about the weather, let me know if this is not the case because I would love to know about it, would be useful for all them non flyable days! :}

As for all of you moaning about getting up at stupid hours in the morning...we booked a travellodge room, 3, yes you heard right, 3 days before the event for 4 people so you're not telling me that that wasnt an option! Was up at 0600 and in the grounds for 0830, no traffic, nothing!

I will grant you that there was a lot of traffic but what do you expect? I was in the blue car park and from what I could see on the way out there were several people marshalling but they couldnt do their job properly because people were getting angry at them and they had to deal with these people not direct the traffic!

I personally think that red bull and longleat did a fantastic job (apart from the DJ and his music lol), they were quite within their rights to hang on as long as possible, and if you didnt want to then there was nothing stopping you. We had an excellent day out, will be making the trip again next year for sure!!

And as for all of you moaners!!! Quit it!

MichaelJP59
3rd Sep 2006, 19:46
I'd really fancied going to this having missed out on the lotto draw last year, but on closer examination of Longleat on the OS map and considering the stated 1 mile muddy trudge to the viewing areas, I decided to give it a miss - based on years of experience being stuck getting in/out of F1 GPs.

Shame, but they either need to strictly limit tickets to say 20,000 or choose a different venue.

It still makes a great TV spectacle. Those of you complaining really should get a hard-disk video recorder, then you fast-forward to the interesting bits through all the guff/adverts at 32x speed. I've used one for years and consider it essential to watching any commercial TV.

Sean Dell
3rd Sep 2006, 20:13
Puchacz 14 says

"We had an excellent day out"

Some people are just easily pleased - good luck to you. Personally I'd like to whinge about crap organisation and the poor reading of the weather forecast. Why not move it to Sunday (travel lodge budget permitting).

And for pity's sake - move the event to the summer time!

Sir George Cayley
3rd Sep 2006, 20:26
..could those top peeps wot organise the Goodwood Festival Of Speed for the Earl of March give the numptys at Red Bull a call.

Seems like they know how to move 30k cars and 150k punters through the narrow Goodwod lanes.

Not once

Not twice

but three days running.

Poole Harbour is OK but Liverpool Docks. Now there's a V N U.

Sir George Cayley

robin
3rd Sep 2006, 20:32
How about Plymouth Hoe?

Puchacz14
3rd Sep 2006, 20:37
Some people are easily pleased, others, like myself try and have a bit of a laugh out of something that was, I admit bloody annoying and dont get me wrong I was pretty cheesed off, but you have to make something of it not just have a good old moan and throw the rattle out of the pram becasue you didnt get what you wanted!

And as for bad reading of the wx, they knew, as did every other pilot there and I dare say most non pilots that it wasnt going to happen!

Also correct me if im wrong, but isnt it technically still summer ;)

sucksqueezeBANGstop
3rd Sep 2006, 21:39
My group turned up late last year, and had no problem getting in! Recommend it! But was a b*gger leaving. TOOK ages. And the show isn't that great anyway. Sooo many people in the way, it's much better on the Telly.

Go watch your local aerobatic comp instead... Much more to see, and good to support your local aerobatic comps!

www.aerobatics.org.uk if you want more info

SSBS

Tacklebury
4th Sep 2006, 06:40
Right, my thoughts.
Got up at 5am, picked people up at 6am, left for Longleat. It's raining
Arrived at 7.45am, cruised into the car park and was the 11th car to arrive.
Left the car at 8.30, hiked down the hill to the event. It's raining the wind picks up.
Used the toilets before they became festering after been abused by 80K people. It's raining, windy.
9.30am, walked around the pits, got some piccies of the planes. It's raining. windy
10.00 Went and found a nice place to watch the race, waited for some good weather. It's raining. Windy
12pm, Steve Ryder comes on the TV’s and says there will be some slight 'tweaks' to the schedule. He fails to mention that the 'tweaks' are cancelling ALL the activities due to show!!! It's raining. Windy
13.30, Steve's back to tell us the race is delayed till 2.30 - 3pm, the pits are open for autographs. It's raining. Windy
15.00 Pit lane closed, race might happen at 4pm, It's raining. Still Windy
15.45 Steve then tells us it might be a bit later, 4.15 or 4.30ish. It's raining. Still Windy
15.50. Spirit crushed, I gave up and started the hike back to the car. It's took 25 mins as the masses were also making their way back too. We all looked really happy. Raining and windy still
16.30, move 5 meters in the car, get stuck in traffic. Suddenly arriving first seems like a bad idea, as I’m now at the back of the jam!!!
18.30, just left the car park!!! Those guys at the gate need medals. The 3 car park attendants that stood 100 yds passed the single lane gateway need shooting.
21.30. Got Home!!! Upset, angry and VERY disappointed.
Next year I’m going to Abu Dhabi, least you know it's not going to rain.
I understand Red Bull can't control the weather, but surely if you organise an event for 80-100K people in September in the UK, you must have a contingency for bad weather, not Red Bull it seems.
18 months I've waited to see the Air Race. What a joke................
Simon
:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :D :D :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

yakker
4th Sep 2006, 07:58
Went last year on my motorcycle, thought I would go again this year. Price £35 per vehicle. Okay if you are one of 15 in a minibus, or one of 4 in a car. But it was £35 for a motorcycle with one person. No thanks, stayed away, glad I did. Budapest next year I think.

davidatter708
4th Sep 2006, 08:49
Can't we try and get it on an airfield cause probably about 30% of the poeple going are pilots and that would take alot of traffic out of the way and have a set time to fly in and out. It would make alot more sense.
David

foxmoth
4th Sep 2006, 10:44
I set off late knowing the wx was bad, but looked like it might improve around 3-4pm, In a queue at 2pm listening to Spire FM (Salisbury) and told by them race delayed to 4PM. 4:05PM I was finally about 3 miles from Longleat listening to another local radio station when their presenter on site came on saying there was no official cancelation but tannoys were telling everyone to move to the exits! The other annoying thing was that at 4PM we had had a text basically saying that engines were about to start and the race would shortly be under way! We finally heard the official cancelation about 4:30, on our way home - never did get a text to this effect though and I believe people were still going in at this point.:rolleyes:
Some aspects of the organisation were good - text messages en route (though the need to sort out the right message and not tell you it is starting just as they are about to cancel!), and ticket selection (at least charging they did not end up with a lot of not really interested people getting tickets just because it was easy to do so and they were free).
I would suggest that next year they maybe do an initial ticket issue via the Pilot magazines (free ticket with your issue of Flyer/Pilot/Todays Pilot) then open it up to the public a couple of weeks later - at least we do not then end up with last years farce where a lot of true enthusiasts could not get tickets. And yes, they need to sort out the traffic problems - Maybe more remote parking and then lay on busses?:mad:

AlanM
4th Sep 2006, 11:00
Plymouth Hoe would be great..... lots of vantage points to look down on the aircraft. AND all the benefits of a city and a dual carriageway running through it.

Anyone who remembers the air days there would vote for it

Easy.

KCDW
4th Sep 2006, 13:16
Isn't it all terribly, terribly dangerous?

I caught some of the highlights on telly on the weekend. And some of those pilots were making mistakes and just correcting in time to get through the gates.

What happens if a wingtip hits a gate? Sayonara?

Mrs KCDW said that she could only watch knowing they were highlights and nothing had gone wrong, and I tend to agree with her.

MichaelJP59
4th Sep 2006, 13:19
Isn't it all terribly, terribly dangerous?
I caught some of the highlights on telly on the weekend. And some of those pilots were making mistakes and just correcting in time to get through the gates.
What happens if a wingtip hits a gate? Sayonara?
Mrs KCDW said that she could only watch knowing they were highlights and nothing had gone wrong, and I tend to agree with her.

It's certainly one of the most dangerous things I've seen on TV, not much margin for error at all.

Catching a gate isn't a problem as they're inflatable - they do that all the time. I'd be more worried about the thing snapping in an accelerated stall through one of those 9G turns..

AFAIK they've never had an accident though, maybe it's safer than it looks?

Sean Dell
4th Sep 2006, 14:27
Also correct me if im wrong, but isnt it technically still summer

Puchacz14 - there are technically minded people and pragmatic people, sometimes the Venn diagrams do not intersect.

:rolleyes:

Puchacz14
4th Sep 2006, 14:47
lol! very good point Sean ;) but who's to say that they cant!, I mean anything is possible these days :}

aztruck
4th Sep 2006, 15:07
Aero Gp next Sunday(sept 10th) around the harbour, Malta......and you thought Red Bull was scary.....
Unlimited figure of 8 racing, up to 6 aircraft in the circuit at the same time...with crossovers, bombing a german U boat(complete with explosives!!) inverted limbo competition...and aerial dogfighting.

Leezyjet
4th Sep 2006, 18:27
They could also hold it on the River Humber, standing on the bridge watching the planes fly under it, now that would be :cool: and plenty of space on both banks to watch.

:\

AlphaBravoZulu
4th Sep 2006, 18:45
Aero Gp next Sunday(sept 10th) around the harbour, Malta......and you thought Red Bull was scary.....
Unlimited figure of 8 racing, up to 6 aircraft in the circuit at the same time...with crossovers, bombing a german U boat(complete with explosives!!) inverted limbo competition...and aerial dogfighting.

And of all times to hold the bloody event they had to choose next weekend when I won't be in Malta to watch it. :{
Should be a fantastic show though and hopefully it won't be a one time only deal.

Gonzo
4th Sep 2006, 19:10
Yep, Plymouth Hoe for me too!

Bagsy one of the benches down at Rusty Anchor!:}
Or Drake's Island....

Tacklebury
4th Sep 2006, 19:38
Well, in case you missed them, here's a few pictures of the only planes to fly at Longleat last Saturday!!!

http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.gurry/Redbull/Dsc_0177smaller.JPG

http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.gurry/Redbull/DSC_0179smaller.JPG

http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.gurry/Redbull/Dsc_0189smaller.JPG

And the most viewed 'airborne' vehicle of the day.....

http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.gurry/Redbull/Dsc_0227smaller.JPG

But my personal favourite was what we all had to look at for 2 + hours on the way home!!!!

http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.gurry/Redbull/DSC_0263smaller.JPG

Simon....... :) :) :)

BEagle
4th Sep 2006, 21:00
I cannot believe that quite so many people were incapable of looking at the weather forecast before leaving home.

It was obviously never going to be suitable for flying.

theskyboy
4th Sep 2006, 22:19
Anyone have any suggestions about getting the sticker off the inside of the window? It's a lot stickier than it looks and now I have a pile of paper bits and a sticky mess.:confused:

eharding
4th Sep 2006, 22:23
Anyone have any suggestions about getting the sticker off the inside of the window? It's a lot stickier than it looks and now I have a pile of paper bits and a sticky mess.:confused:

Roll inverted and *push*.....Hard....until it peels away.

Or, if you prefer, Fairy Liquid might do the job.

bingoboy
4th Sep 2006, 23:03
Anyone know if the Malta thing will be on TV ?

PH-UKU
4th Sep 2006, 23:25
whilst nothing could be done about the wx - lets face it - you would expect better in august , where would you suggest as a better location to longleat ? It does have good motorway links ( as you say only 10 miles from leaving motorway ) it has unique topography for the race ( hills to watch from !!) - what exactly would you have done differently given the requirements for the actual aircraft and race itself ?:)

I'll suggest a better location ..... with hugely spectacular scenery, a proven infrastructure and experience of hosting large international events.... and on the day...... better weather :E

Loch Lomond in Scotland. World-beating backdrop. :ok:

This year I journeyed down from Glasgow with 2 potential young aviators. Took us 3 hrs in a 172 to fly in to Wing Farm (Thanks Earl for such a friendly welcome). We stayed in a B+B 10 miles from Longleat and it took us 4 HOURS to travel that distance on the Saturday morning.

To sum it up - the organisers got greedy.

They obviously thought "60000 in 2005 ? oooh let's make a bit more this year and cram in another 66%"

Wrong.

Road management was non-existent, no marshallers at significant junctions to 'keep it moving'.

Folks at home got more info (and video of the previous days practice) from Channel 4 than the wishful thinking we all got in the crowd.

Well done to Paul Bonhomme for the fastest time on Friday, and thanks to all who came out to sign autographs.

Hope you come up to Scotland for the next one !!

bencoulthard
5th Sep 2006, 07:57

When Mrs C was putting ours on the car window i said"just lightly, dont push it on or it wont come off" it peeled off perfectly, just blame red bull for using the wrong choice of glue :E

bigflyingrob
5th Sep 2006, 09:24
I work in TV and have to agree the prats with a degree in media studies are a liablity. However they are cheap and will work long hours which is what counts these days. A big gob, loads of ego and away you go. My favourite was the film awards in London when we could not see ANYTHING When we boll""d the crew they said it had been fine at 3pm when they did the checks:mad: :mad: . Yes I said but its now 10pm and it has gone dark because its NIGHT TIME Do you have any lights?
Ans
Yes but they're in the car!

the dean
5th Sep 2006, 10:00

try using one sided draughtmans blade.i use it all the time on ceramic hob and it does'nt scoar it.you finish up with the gunk on the blade not the window and its easier to take it off that.

pity you lads sound to have had a day like we had earlier in the year when they were at the rock of cashel.

it was much the same...in fact conditions were so bad underfoot they could take off..do a run but had to go elsewhere to land as they would have nosed over in the soft ground if they landed again...and the day finally cleared up enough to get some flying in.

the traffic was horrendous...and it was all too short as instead of two runs they could only do one and then depart for landing airfield which was some distence away.

exciting stuff though...and when the water down your neck gets to the certain point of saturation you don'nt really care anymore..!!:ok:

Flik Roll
5th Sep 2006, 12:50
Acetone or nail varnish remover will remove the gunk into a pile which you can pick off.

bcfc
5th Sep 2006, 13:06
or just leave it on for next year :hmm:

A2QFI
5th Sep 2006, 13:31
Suggestion from a car forum re removing dealer's stickers suggests softening them with the heat from a hair drier and then gentle scraping or peeling.

DaisyMK1
6th Sep 2006, 15:18
For anyone interested I believe the event organisers hired to run the race were SEP events. I'm sure they would love some feedback at the website.

www.sepevents.co.uk.

lc_aerobatics
6th Sep 2006, 15:38
Roll inverted and *push*.....Hard....until it peels away.

Or, if you prefer, Fairy Liquid might do the job.

Nice one Ed, but remember +7-5:cool:

andyb79
6th Sep 2006, 20:11
For anyone that didn't actually make it to Longleat, here's a summary of what happened when we arrived. After driving at an average speed of 5miles per hour, we arrived at the end of a 7 hour journey and ditched the car at the side of the access road due to not being able to go any further as everyone was now exiting and walked into the venue. It became an exciting afternoon of the petting zoo and the safari boats in order to keep my better half entertained. We then ate the world's most expensive (and most disgusting) burger, to pass the time in order to be able to leave the place. By this point, could not have given a **** whether the race was on or not and my girlfriend would probably have shot them down had it gone ahead. The highlight of the day was seeing a doddery old man in velvet trousers which I believe are a common sighting on the 'Animal Farm' programme - and my girlfriend never even got to "ogle the Fogle" which was the reason she gave me for agreeing to go, and there was no free Red Bull to give us energy to go on living :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

KCDW
6th Sep 2006, 20:21
:) . So? Sounds like an average day on the car park... (M25 to northerners). :)

Will Hung
7th Sep 2006, 11:19
Did anyone else have an uncotrollable urge to deck that complete p***k from big brother ? As for that other so called presenter, daddy can't buy talent.

SparkyBoy
7th Sep 2006, 16:20
I agree they MUST change location,

I vote for Biggin Hill, the home of a well executed airshow with :

Amazing police co-operation for traffic!!!
Loads of parking space
Loads of gallery space
Well trained and experienced ATC for this type of event

Oh and of course it's my home a/f :ok:

tangovictor
7th Sep 2006, 16:40
Did anyone else have an uncotrollable urge to deck that complete p***k from big brother ? As for that other so called presenter, daddy can't buy talent.

as I already stated, what a complete idiot + 1, make that 2 the presenter wasn't much more intelligent,

Human Factor
7th Sep 2006, 22:47
Favourite quote from the Channel 4 show:

TE: Right, let's go over to the race!!

Big Brother Bloke: Yeah!!! Great!!! ............. where is it?

:ok:

Flaps ten please
21st Sep 2006, 01:19
hobbit1983, bingoboy, tacklebury,

couldn't agree more, guys.

This was without doubt the worst organised event re: crowd and traffic control I have ever been to. We decided to give up at 1430 and it took us over an hour to get onto the pedestrian bridge thanks to the jobsworth security pr*cks who held us back. We would still be on top of the hill now if it wasnt for the large bearded man who tore down the tape and led us all through. Then we were told to walk round?! the bridge by a small ugly man with a very large mouth (but he didn't specify whether that was through the safari park or via 14 miles of country lanes).
By this time we just wanted out to the car park and away. Sadly it took another 3 hours before we found open road and I got into top gear, no thanks to Steve Ryder who announced his advice to 'make your way to the nearest exit asap.' Even the policeman I was passing called him a pratt.

Still, experience is cheap at any price, they say. Sorry, Red Bull, but NEVER EVER again. My refund was the least you could do because I was fuming.

Human Factor
21st Sep 2006, 10:35
Rumour has it that next year's event may not be at Longleat....;)