PDA

View Full Version : Good news: No-one hurt (Airframe not so lucky) (Merged)

OpenCirrus619
30th Aug 2006, 15:01
Thankfully (amazingly looking at the picture) no-one hurt.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42030000/jpg/_42030442_planecrash2203.jpg
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/5298980.stm

OC619

EGBKFLYER
30th Aug 2006, 15:21
Thank goodness it wasn't worse.:bored:

Inspector Tom Brooks doesn't miss much, does he?:oh:

Fuji Abound
30th Aug 2006, 15:45
"It seems to have flipped over onto its roof."

Glad to see the art of the blindingly obvious is alive and well.

rusty_y2k2
30th Aug 2006, 17:51
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/5298980.stm

Piper Warrior crashed after takeoff, all 3 on board walked away (wow!)

Any info/speculation as to what might have caused the engine failure? I'm currently learning on this type and as such have an interest in exactly what went wrong!

markflyer6580
30th Aug 2006, 18:13
Is that how integrated students deal with EFATO?:}

(sorry couldn't resist,pleased they are all ok:ok: )

cagivawally
30th Aug 2006, 20:20
Nothing wrong with that comment in my opinion...typical British humour.

JonWhitehouse
30th Aug 2006, 20:34
indeed!...

MrBernoulli
30th Aug 2006, 20:50
Thankfully, no injuries. Maybe a bit of dented pride and confidence. Nevertheless, here are 2 studes who will now KNOW the value of being constantly aware of possible 'escape routes' during the vulnerable times of T/O, landing and other low-ish operations. If they should ever rise to being QFIs they will wish to drum that into their own studes.

markflyer6580
30th Aug 2006, 21:00
Please delete your post

It wasn't you was it?:p

In fairness to the pilot(s) there are not loads of options at oxford in such a situation,bet they surprised some motorists when they came through the hedge!:eek:

mcgoo
30th Aug 2006, 21:03
cparker

Get over yourself, it was very clear from the article that all concerned are safe and there were no injuries, just because you don't find something funny doesn't mean it isn't, that post does not infringe any of the forum rules so what gives you the impression that you decide what should be deleted or not.

microlight AV8R
30th Aug 2006, 21:34
Glad they got out ok. Which runway was it ? I know '19' is the usual paved runway but wondered if they were using one of the shorter grass runways. Last time I used '19' there we went from Charlie hold at the intersection with rwy 29/11 so that would mean less room to land ahead and stop before the fence.

Can't see the problem with the humour, a British trait that keeps us going in the darkest moments (speaks from experience).

Whirlybird
30th Aug 2006, 21:53
I thought Markflyer's comment was pretty funny myself.

smarthawke
31st Aug 2006, 07:13
Glad to see on Central TV News the fire brigade spokesman saying how lucky the crew were, particularly as 'the fuel they use in aircraft, Avgas, is incredibly, incredibly inflammable. Much more so than petrol'...... And you wonder why the press get the facts wrong?

smarthawke
31st Aug 2006, 07:39
Mmmm. I think you'll find that the differences in the real world scheme of things are not that great - after all some people even use 'ordinary' petrol in the aircraft engines! The way it was reported implied that light aircraft use some extremely potent rocket fuel that explodes at the smallest excuse......

Bravo73
31st Aug 2006, 08:41
Getting back to the incident, does anybody at OAT know the initials of the instructor concerned?

Thanks,

B73

tangovictor
31st Aug 2006, 14:34
r/w 19 was in use yesterday, from what I was told, the engine developed a misfire, just prior or during take off, the pilot managed to get it back onto the runway, but, by then was to far along it, striking the hedgeing, and fliping it over, Thankfully everyone is ok, from the road it looked awful