PDA

View Full Version : Shotteswell Aerodrome

TCAS FAN
28th Aug 2006, 08:13
A friend of mine is researching the history of Shotteswell Aerodrome, located near Banbury. Can anyone provide any information on aviation activities at the aerodrome, particularly on how long the aerodrome has been active?

Kanu
28th Aug 2006, 12:57
I thought it was just a private farm strip? could be wrong though.

Mark 1
28th Aug 2006, 16:37
It was run until a few years ago by a wonderful chap by the name of Freddy Spencer, who had flown nearly 100 missions in Lancasters during the war, and gained the DFC and bar.

He died recently and I believe his widow is responsible for the continued running of the airfield, still very friendly and accommodating.

Sorry, I can't help much with the strip's history, but I'm sure the current owner would be willing to pass on their knowledge. The contact details are in the flight guides. I can pass them on if you have any difficulty finding them.

helicopter-redeye
28th Aug 2006, 17:14
I believe it is now owned by the father of a BA Training Captain (who also flies helicopters - good chap). I had him and one of his children in the back of a Jet Ranger flying into Shotteswell recently..

Why not contact them direct at the farm adj the strip for current details?

I recall it being there as a farm strip for many years.

You could also try Wellesbourne Airfield as many people there will have been flying in the area for years and will have memories dating back well beyind mine.

h-r

muffin
28th Aug 2006, 17:41
It is currently leased to Skydrive who are the Rotax engine UK distributors. They are based near Southam.

TCAS FAN
30th Aug 2006, 13:33
Kanu/Mark 1/Helicopter-redeye/Muffin

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. I've traced flying back to 1982 but believe it has been going on for much longer. I understand that the present owner isn't sure how long the aerodrome has been operating.

Mark 1, sorry to hear about Freddy Spencer, remember his antics with his Beech Baron very well!

Any other takers who can beat 1982?

Spiney Norman
2nd Sep 2006, 13:26
Yep.
By a country mile. I have a copy of the 'Air Touring Flight Guide' by Bob Pooley for 1973. Shotteswell is included in the 'Private airfields and landing fields section'. As the compilation of this guide would have been during the preceeding year it's safe to say that the airfield was in existence in 1972. If there is anybody who has an earlier copy they could take you even further back, or you could contact Pooley's at Elstree directly and see if they have an archive. I used to edit the AFE U.K. VFR Flight guide and AFE definately do. Pooley's have been going significantly longer though and all the guide entry will confirm is when the airfield was included for publication. (It may well have existed long before this). Basic physical dimensions, location and contact info.

Spiney

Sleeve Wing
2nd Sep 2006, 14:56
Hi Spiney.(Long time, no see !!)
Can beat you by a year or two.............. it was open whilst I was at OATS, 1970 - 1974, and I believe had been for some time before that.
Rgds,
Sleeve. (U/H!)

muffin
2nd Sep 2006, 16:05
I think from memory that the first edition of Pooleys Guide was in 1963 or so. I once spent a fascinating wet afternoon browsing through the entire collection of them since the beginning. There were some wonderful fields then that have now totally vanished.

theresalwaysone
3rd Sep 2006, 13:02
I used it for PFLs and so on in the 70s. Frank Spencer was a delightful character and there was a little flying group established with a hangar only spoilt by one of the members(you know the type that wear loads of aviation badges) who used to think he owned the place and was an expert on all things aeronautical. He once walked all the way down the field to try and demonstrate his importance to me only to find I just taxied all the way down to the other end with him following, was he annoyed but not as half as annoyed when i beat the place up again five mintes later!! Happy days!