PDA

View Full Version : FAA IR video

FullyFlapped
26th Aug 2006, 17:05
I understand (quite possibly wrongly) that there is a video/DVD/whatever which is an integral part of the FAA IR theory.

If this is so, can someone please tell me what it's called and who makes it ?

Thanks,

FF :ok:

Colonel Panic
26th Aug 2006, 18:02
I wouldn't call them "integral" by any means, but there a couple of video nasties by King. The content is OK, but the style of presentation can be nausious!
http://www.kingschoolsonline.com/
Available from all good pilot supply outlets ...

IO540
26th Aug 2006, 19:38
The Kings have done videos for this.

They are truly dreary, designed for ab initio pilots who have absolutely no idea what a VOR is.

Looking at how many times Martha King explains what a VOR is, there is no doubt (as with the Beckams) which of the two in in charge of the household.

They are perhaps worth watching; certainly sections are good, but it's about 15hrs in front of the TV.

Wrong Stuff
26th Aug 2006, 21:42
Yes, they really are incredibly boring. But after sitting through them once I managed to pass the exam with only one question wrong, so they do the job.

IO540
27th Aug 2006, 04:39
One can pass the FAA writtens using the computer practice CDs - much as JAA ATPL candidates do these days using the German JAA question bank (recently translated into English ;) )

The problem is that under FAA you actually have to understand the subject, to get through the oral and the flying itself. That's why I think watching the tapes is on balance worth doing. They also contain handy snippets on how the checkride is organised and what is expected - this is different from JAA.

fly_sd
27th Aug 2006, 06:33
Yes, the King Schools (in fact located at our local airfield MYF) makes a DVD course for FAA private as well as instrument. Pretty tedious and boring as the main aim of the course is to make you pass the exam. However they also have a Cessna course for private as well as instrument which is more interesting as the idea is to teach the subject thoroughly rather than just passing the exam. I have the PPL one - it is called "Cleared for takeoff" - they have a similar one for Instrument. That also has more detailed and interactive quizzes after each section.

Also another company makes a course - they are called Sporty's or something like that. I believe they do one for the PPL - not sure about IR. Also recently I got a trial PPL audio course in the mail (US is great for getting unsolicitaed mail :) )- cannot recall who makes it and not sure if there is one for IR but it may be useful if you have limted time and want to listen while driving or something.

fly_sd
27th Aug 2006, 06:48
Just found the audio course CD. I have not listened to the trial CD they sent so have no idea about how good it is.