PDA

View Full Version : Steps to complete PPl from UAS

squawkident.
26th Aug 2006, 13:21
Hi there.

Ive recently been given the good news that ive been accepted onto the CTC Cadets program. Ive got 51 hours in a grob tutor from my University air squadron but dont have a PPL.

Ive been advised to do the short foundation course which means i need to acquire my PPL prior to commencement of training.

At present I have 8 hours solo included in my 51 hours.
Ive completed my General handling test, spin-aeros check and instrument flying test as part of the EFT sylabbus but have not done any nav.

Could somebody please tell me what exactly I need to do to complete my PPl training at least so I can weigh up whether it will be worth doing in the UK, or i could do the full PPL in NZ.

As far as Im aware i need to complete nav but how many sorties does this require approximatly(my keyboard is broken and i cant use the question mark)
Am i also right in thinking i need to do 7 ground exams and a cross country flight (question mark)

Thanks very much -all your feedback is much appreciated.

SI

BigGrecian
26th Aug 2006, 13:27
This would have probably been better in the Miltiary Aircrew forum.

Depends - are you still on the UAS? I doubt it, otherwise you would already have the answers you require.
Did you complete EFT?
There are dispensations regarding the exams but I am unsure of them.
Regarding NAV. I assume your above average so you'll prob need about 1-3 hours training and a cross country qualifier. 150nm with two landings away from the home base (signatures required)

Good luck in NZ.

squawkident.
26th Aug 2006, 13:39
This would have probably been better in the Miltiary Aircrew forum.

Depends - are you still on the UAS? I doubt it, otherwise you would already have the answers you require.
Did you complete EFT?
There are dispensations regarding the exams but I am unsure of them.
Regarding NAV. I assume your above average so you'll prob need about 1-3 hours training and a cross country qualifier. 150nm with two landings away from the home base (signatures required)

Good luck in NZ.

In reply to the above all my instuctors in the UAS were adamant I cant use the hours towards civil flying which as far as ive been told is incorrect. This is why i didnt post in the mil. forum.

I didnt complete EFT but did complete some ground exams there.
Cheers, SI

BEagle
26th Aug 2006, 13:49
Please PM me - your UAS hours (if flown with QFIs, not Air Experience pilots) will most certainly count. Who are these ignorant people at the UAS who are so out of touch with the credit your military training receives?

At a guess, you will need:

1. A CAA Class 2 medical.
2. To pass all 7 PPL ground exams and the RT practical test.
3. To amass a total of 10 hours solo (minimum), including 5 hours cross-country solo including the 150nm qualifying cross-country.
4. To fly sufficient dual flight training to prepare you for the PPL Skill Test.
5. To pass the PPL Skill Test with a PPL Examiner.

You can do all of the above (except, perhaps, for the RT practical) at a RAF FCA flying club.

UAV689
27th Aug 2006, 19:41
Please PM me - your UAS hours (if flown with QFIs, not Air Experience pilots) will most certainly count. Who are these ignorant people at the UAS who are so out of touch with the credit your military training receives?
At a guess, you will need:
1. A CAA Class 2 medical.
2. To pass all 7 PPL ground exams and the RT practical test.
3. To amass a total of 10 hours solo (minimum), including 5 hours cross-country solo including the 150nm qualifying cross-country.
4. To fly sufficient dual flight training to prepare you for the PPL Skill Test.
5. To pass the PPL Skill Test with a PPL Examiner.
You can do all of the above (except, perhaps, for the RT practical) at a RAF FCA flying club.

This is all correct, I converted mine last year. Good luck with CTC

Propellerhead
28th Aug 2006, 09:29
I converted mine a few years ago (but was CAA not JAA back then). I had 43hrs Air Squadron, and ended up doing about 1/2 a PPL eg) 20hrs, ground exams, GFT / NFT. You will probably need to send your logbook to CAA FCL who will do an assesment and tell you exactly what uou need to do.

Give them a call, if you can stand holding on the phone for a while they are very helpful! (LASORS on the web may have the answer too).

BEagle
28th Aug 2006, 18:26
The first thing they will ask you is "Have you read LASORS?".

If you haven't, nor have you bothered to contact those PPL Examiners who have offered assistance to you on this site first, do NOT bother the CAA until you have.

Gingawings
30th Aug 2006, 13:54
Hi SI

I'm off to Leeds University in a couple of weeks and am keen to join the UAS. Can you tell me a little bit about the selection process? What questions did they asked you in the interview? Did you have to do apptitude tests?

Thanks GW