PDA

View Full Version : Light plane crash near doncaster?

m0rt1L
25th Aug 2006, 16:44
just heard on the radio, a plane is down near the m18 doncaster area
any heard anymore info?

Stand 22
25th Aug 2006, 16:49
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/5287088.stm

m0rt1L
25th Aug 2006, 16:52
thanks man, hope to get more info soon, hope no1 is hurt

m0rt1L
25th Aug 2006, 18:48
2 people are feared dead, im based at sheffield city, i hope that info is wrong.thoughts are with the persons involved

Jinkster
25th Aug 2006, 18:59
I heard it exploded on impact.....

Based at Sheffield City too - not good news :sad:

m0rt1L
25th Aug 2006, 19:04
oh no!! gonna have to make some phone calls!

helicopter-redeye
25th Aug 2006, 19:07
Based on the local TV news, abeam M18 adj junction for Rotherham.

So just East of the Ravenfield heli site.

The BBC are reporting on "eyewitness reports" of circling over Maltby & then a sharp descent.

Jinkster
25th Aug 2006, 19:11
I flew over the crash site about 2hrs ago - and spoke to R in the tower, it wasnt talking to sheffield or doncaster.....

the field was next to the ravenfield heli site and look perfectly suitable for a PFL IMHO.

So, spiral dive whilst taking photos or aero's not sure.....

m0rt1L
25th Aug 2006, 19:14
hmmm ye there aint a shortage of fields around there anyways, maybe a stall and hard impact trying to stretch the glide :( very sad news

Jinkster
25th Aug 2006, 19:18
how long for AAIB report?

MarcJF
25th Aug 2006, 19:23
Looking at the picture on the BBC site, it looks like the aircraft came to rest inverted?

m0rt1L
25th Aug 2006, 19:27
ye it does, i dont know how long it takes the aaib to produce a report.Hopefully i may be able to get more info from some of the guyz at sheff city

helicopter-redeye
25th Aug 2006, 19:35
The TV pictures looked ploughed, + quite a gradient North to South with a dip in the centre.

Was it based or a visitor?

Whirlybird
25th Aug 2006, 19:58
I work at Sheffield, and it didn't seem to be anyone based there. Since it wasn't talking to either Doncaster or Sheffield, it was probably based elsewhere.

Initially I heard the same as Jinkster.....or did he tell me, I'm not sure? However, on the way home a couple of hours ago I listened to BBC Radio Sheffield, hoping for some more news. They said that it was a two seater light aircraft, that two people had been injured, but no-one taken to hospital. So it sounds like possibly better news than we initially thought, if they got it right. Apparently, eye witnesses saw the aircraft circle before it landed in a field, so - again if they got it right - it sounds like a forced landing, but under control. I hope this is the case anyway. Apparently one lane of the M18 was closed for a while, but traffic was moving slowly by the time I reached the area, though I don't go that way home and didn't see anything.

m0rt1L
25th Aug 2006, 20:04
ye, hope its good news, thats the thing about the media they always seem to look on the worst side o things.

m0rt1L
25th Aug 2006, 21:37
just seen it on itv

Jinkster
25th Aug 2006, 22:49
m0rt1L,

Which person are you at EGSY? Please PM.

Russ.w.
26th Aug 2006, 00:26
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/5287088.stm

condolences.

m0rt1L
26th Aug 2006, 10:28
Well the news now seems accurate.
Very very sad day, thoughts are with friends and familys.

Whirlybird
26th Aug 2006, 10:37
Sad news indeed. Hits you harder when it's round the corner to where you're based, at a spot you fly over almost every day. The M1/M18 junction will never look the same to me again.

m0rt1L
26th Aug 2006, 14:34
seems to b specultion of low level flying near the farm airstrip down there.
also hearing a collision with low level power lines.

Champagne Anyone?
27th Aug 2006, 11:47
Mort, whirly and co,

Stop speculating as to the cause of this tragic event!

There will be a full report in due course after the professionals make a thorough investigation.

Your are not helping by making wild and uninformed guesses as to the cause then posting them here. The families are having a hard enough time as it is with out having to read your drivel.

Wait for the report.

:= := :=

ShyTorque
27th Aug 2006, 12:25
I have just read the thread again - I'm keen to know details as it's not far from my neck of the woods.

Where are these alleged "wild and uninformed guesses"? Apart from one post mentioning wires, I don't see anything other than what has already been mentioned by the BBC.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
27th Aug 2006, 17:13
Some folks seem to get very uptight about this. As long as no-one claims to know the cause, or apportions blame, I think sensible discussion can only be an aid to flight safety. I very much doubt the grieving relatives will be reading an aviation forum.

SSD

helicopter-redeye
27th Aug 2006, 17:33
seems to b specultion of low level flying near the farm airstrip down there.
also hearing a collision with low level power lines.

There isn't actually a strip at Ravenfield at present. It was ploughed a few weeks ago although the white edge markers are still there and visable if you know where to look.

There is a major powerline (200ft+) passing the site. The BBC news pictures of the site, which gave a comprehensive view, showed accident damage parallel to the powerlines (EW), which is also parallel to the motorway. The field is East of Ravenfield (heli) and double east of the strip (when not ploughed).

UV
27th Aug 2006, 19:20
Here you are, yet again, .......

"""I intend to post the following after EVERY serious accident in future:

"PLEASE DO NOT POST ANYTHING THAT IS PURELY CONJECTURE ABOUT THIS ACCIDENT. LEAVE IT TO THE PROFESSIONALS TO DO THEIR BUSINESS"""

UV
Thanks Champagne, you are quite right, IMHO

Whirlybird
27th Aug 2006, 22:06
Champagne Anyone and UV,

LEAVE US ALONE!!!!!!

Those of us who fly and work at Sheffield City Airport were horrendously shocked and upset at a serious accident happening almost within sight of us. We wanted to know what happened. We asked each other, asked around, at the airport, on PPRuNe, wherever we could. Was it our friends, our colleagues, people we knew? And that's what we're still doing, as we still don't know. Can't you see how we feel, from our posts? Have you no imagination or human feelings whatsoever?

Where are these "wild, uninformed guesses". I didn't make any, I don't see any, and I most definitely resent your wild and unnecessary accusations, when all I'm doing is discussing an awful accident that happened horribly close to where I was. If you don't like it, don't read it. I'm sure the grieving relatives aren't. If it was your relatives, do you really think you'd be getting on PPRune to find out what people were saying? What utter rubbish. And if I were by some remote chance a grieving relative reading this, it's people like you who'd upset me, not those who cared enough to wonder what happened.

This sort of thing happens after every thread like this. Whenever there's an accident, somebody thinks they have a right to tell everyone else what they can or can't post, on what is the Professional Pilots' RUMOUR forum. Usually I just leave them to it. But in this case you've annoyed and upset me, when I'm upset already. I don't need it. And I'm sure that goes for everyone else who was at Sheffield at the time. So I mean it, if you don't like it, get off this thread and LEAVE US ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S-Works
27th Aug 2006, 22:40
Am I the only cold and callous Bastard on here? Accidents happen all the time, more people die in cars and playing golf than flying. Why do we get so morbid over these things?

I personally will read the AIB reports with interest and see if there is anything to learn. I wont be looking at bits of ground where people shed the mortal coil any differently.

This is life, people die all the time, sometimes in their sleep other times a viloent and horrible death and sometimes somewhere in between. But the end result is the same.

So perhaps we should all be less emotional?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
27th Aug 2006, 22:41
Spot on Whirls.

Self-important finger waggers - you are out of order and not dislplaying any sort of mature human understanding when these tragedies occur, so back off.

And please don't do it again.

eharding
27th Aug 2006, 23:17
Concur with Whirlybird & SSD. Even the AAIB sometimes have to take an educated guess as to what happened, particularly in GA accidents.

englishal
28th Aug 2006, 03:17
UV,
Why do you insist on reading these threads and posting your stupid message, as this thread clearly touches a nerve. Why don't your just ignore it.
We can all learn from these sad events, and the sooner the better. We also should accept that 80% of accidents are caused by human factors.....accept it....don't get all upset when someone even suggests it (I know people who have come to grief in tragic circumstances as well).

Unfortunately it looks like another recent crash was human error as well......though the report in a years time may confirm this.

stickandrudderman
28th Aug 2006, 08:22
Bose X
I thought I was the only person in the world who thought like that. Will you marry me?;)

QDMQDMQDM
28th Aug 2006, 08:59
Whirlybird,

Thank-you. What are these sanctimonious, goody-goody, holier-than-thou attitudes? Why do these people think they're clever for expressing them and why do they think they have the right to try and coerce highly respected members of this community into conforming with their smug, teenage world view?

I find them much more sickening than speculation as to the causes of a crash, which is part of what this place is about.

It's all part of what's wrong with Britain today; country's going to the dogs... etc etc grump, grump, grump.

QDM

nadders
28th Aug 2006, 11:08
I am a firefighter in South Yourkshire and also an early solo PPL so it saddens me to see such a tragic accident.

I was on duty on the day of this accident but was attending another incident when we heard the call to this crash over the radio. A colleague of mine was on the first appliance at the scene of the accident. As far as fire service intervention goes there wasn't really any as the fire in the aircraft had been extinguished by the first individuals on the scene.

I do not want to go into to many details regarding this accident but from what I understand from my colleague (who is not a pilot) and based on what he was told by a local farmer, the a/c was practising touch and go's and as I understand it, at some point, possibly downwind, the a/c came into contact with power lines. The a/c it would seem came into contact with the earth nose down and flipped.

I hope my above comments on this very tragic accident do not cause anyone any offence. I just feel that good, reliable information, prevents any unnessesary speculation.

My deepest condolences go out to the friends and family of the two individuals involved from both myself and indeed my colleagues who were on the scene.

m0rt1L
28th Aug 2006, 13:43
oooo, Look i didnt mean to cause a big battle about this, all the info ive posted is what i have read from the bbc maybe for the guyz who aint read it yet and for me to find a little bit of info myself as i like many of us on this thread fly out of sheff and over that spot each day, im only a 60 hour newbie and things like this which happen around the corner get me wondering how IF human error how not to end up in the same situation!!
I am as of many is deeply saddened by this event, and it saddens me even more to think ive caused something more than an innocent few posts being new to the forum.

Sorry for the big debate ive appeared to have caused :(

Whirlybird
28th Aug 2006, 15:20
m0rt1L,

No need to be sorry, and I appreciate the info; please keep posting it.

Captain Airclues
28th Aug 2006, 16:14
Well said Whirly. I agree 100%. PPRuNe is like an electronic version of the pub or the clubhouse bar. I have never yet heard anyone in t'pub say "Lets not discuss it until the AAIB report comes out".
Sometimes we can learn things by discussing an accident that could stop somebody else from making the same mistake. I suggest that Champagne Anyone and UV stick to the AAIB website in future.

Dave

Droopystop
28th Aug 2006, 16:27
The AAIB report might well be some way away (unless of course it is clear cut with hard evidence). A recent report was published more than 18 months after the incident.

Venkman
28th Aug 2006, 17:15
Do we know where the aircraft was based?

SFCC
28th Aug 2006, 18:12
Yes. a private strip near Doncaster.

Champagne Anyone?
29th Aug 2006, 23:01
Whirly Whirly Whirly (and co),

I'm sorry, I didn't know this was Your thread. I thought it was about the sad loss of two fellow aviators in an incident near Doncaster on friday. Do we require your permission to post here?

Your sanctimonious self important attitude disgusts me. You appear to want to steal the show and make your alleged 'grief' more important than that of the families of the crew who have perished. If it makes you feel better , well good for you. You really are quite sad. Its about time you grew up.

You feed the press with all the ammunition they require to slate GA with your UNINFORMED AND WILD GUESSES. (after all that's all they are) as to the cause.

You fly into Sheffield. So do I. I have met one of the crew in the past at Sherburn but I WILL NOT speculate as to the cause of the tragic event.

I don't know the facts, you don't know the facts so why try to tell the world what happened when you are clearly not in possession of those facts.

I think the appropriate acronym is STFU.

eharding
29th Aug 2006, 23:26
Whirly Whirly Whirly (and co),
I'm sorry, I didn't know this was Your thread. I thought it was about the sad loss of two fellow aviators in an incident near Doncaster on friday. Do we require your permission to post here?
Your sanctimonious self important attitude disgusts me. You appear to want to steal the show and make your alleged 'grief' more important than that of the families of the crew who have perished. If it makes you feel better , well good for you. You really are quite sad. Its about time you grew up.
You feed the press with all the ammunition they require to slate GA with your UNINFORMED AND WILD GUESSES. (after all that's all they are) as to the cause.
You fly into Sheffield. So do I. I have met one of the crew in the past at Sherburn but I WILL NOT speculate as to the cause of the tragic event.
I don't know the facts, you don't know the facts so why try to tell the world what happened when you are clearly not in possession of those facts.

Mate, you're hyperventilating. Place a paper bag over your head and breath slowly, and if the symptoms persist dial 999.

Captain Airclues
29th Aug 2006, 23:27
I work at Sheffield, and it didn't seem to be anyone based there. Since it wasn't talking to either Doncaster or Sheffield, it was probably based elsewhere.
Initially I heard the same as Jinkster.....or did he tell me, I'm not sure? However, on the way home a couple of hours ago I listened to BBC Radio Sheffield, hoping for some more news. They said that it was a two seater light aircraft, that two people had been injured, but no-one taken to hospital. So it sounds like possibly better news than we initially thought, if they got it right. Apparently, eye witnesses saw the aircraft circle before it landed in a field, so - again if they got it right - it sounds like a forced landing, but under control. I hope this is the case anyway. Apparently one lane of the M18 was closed for a while, but traffic was moving slowly by the time I reached the area, though I don't go that way home and didn't see anything.

Champage Anyone

I would be very grateful if you could explain which part of Whirly's post you deem to be speculation. Surely by her statement of "again if they got it right" she is admitting that, at that early stage, the information was incomplete. How does the inference that it was a forced landing under control upset the relatives, even if they do read PPRuNe.?

Airclues

bencoulthard
29th Aug 2006, 23:38

Stop Tormenting Fellow Users?

Champagne, please do STFU

IMHO Whirly posts some of the most infomative posts on PPRuNe.

GA is a small community, if someone crashes 7 miles from your strip you want to know more than ever: who, what, when, where, why.

I see no wrong in this thread apart from the thread-jack that has happened and got us off subject.

Condolences to the families.

Ben

englishal
30th Aug 2006, 02:50
You feed the press with all the ammunition they require to slate GA with your UNINFORMED AND WILD GUESSES
If the press do get their info from here, then thay will probably have a very balanced discussion of what actually happened. You might not like what you hear, but tough.....

Whirlybird
30th Aug 2006, 07:14
Mort, whirly and co,
Stop speculating as to the cause of this tragic event!

I didn't know this was Your thread. I thought it was about the sad loss of two fellow aviators in an incident near Doncaster on friday. Do we require your permission to post here?

Hmmmmmm.............

I can't quite think why the words pot, kettle, and black seem to keep coming to mind. :confused:

moggiee
30th Aug 2006, 09:25
I drove past the crash site just after the accident - when one lane of the M18 was closed for use by the emergency services. The sight of the green tarpaulins made me fear the worst - it seems that sadly I was right.

Could anyone enlighten me as to aircraft type? No real reason other than curiosity.

Without wishing to come over all sensitive, it WOULD be appropriate if the thread could be kept reasonably on topic and arguing conducted via PM. However, as has been said this IS an electronic version of pub chat and I do believe that speculation is valid.

Bit more info: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/england/south_yorkshire/5289028.stm

OpenCirrus619
30th Aug 2006, 10:31
..... Champagne, please do STFU .....

:D :D :D

OC619

Julian
30th Aug 2006, 12:31
Whirls,

Don't let CA goad you - he seems to have a habit of posting to stir people up, he even tried it with me :ugh:

J.

Farrell
30th Aug 2006, 12:44
Oh stop it - all of you!

Whirls....just ignore the last posts.
CA - give it a rest, please.

There was another accident, people have died, give them the respect they deserve and let's not let the incident fall into this type of playground behaviour.

Regardless of who's swiping at who - give it up, or this thread will end up closed. In fact if relatives are reading through this (who knows, someones father, or daughter - a family of pilots) what on earth must they
think?

'Chuffer' Dandridge
30th Aug 2006, 14:03
Hi all, I've got nothing to say regarding causes as I prefer to let the experts do that (not the armchair variety) but can i add my condolences as well bla bla bla? I didnt know the pilots involved, but I thought as everyone else adds condolences on here it was the thing to do.. I witnessed a fatal RTA last week and I gave my condolences there too.

Now can we get on please, and get over it. Accidents happen, its all very sad but life goes on. :E

PS what was the type involved?

BRL
30th Aug 2006, 15:50
If you know what type it was then please say so here, after that the thread gets locked I am afraid.

I think it is pretty self explanatory why.

30th Aug 2006, 17:40
Zenair CH601 with Rotax 912uls - if G-INFO is to believed. Should have been closed a long time ago.